Sunscreen for bicycling

Old August 20th 18, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Sunscreen for bicycling

On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 12:23:34 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-08-20 11:26,
wrote:
On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 7:29:00 PM UTC-7, Joy Beeson
wrote:
On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 00:05:16 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
wrote:

Does anybody have suggestions for sunscreen to wear while
bicycling?

My cancer doctor said to use zinc sunblock on fresh scars.
(My current scar is under my hatband, so all I use is E-oil and
a white linen do-rag.)

I'm currently using Kroger's knock-off of Neutrogena 70; when
it runs out, I plan to start snitching my spouse's Neutrogena
100, so as to use it up faster.

I used to use a cheaper sunblock on my arms and legs, but when
it ran out, I began to put the same stuff everywhere. I
usually coat only the outside of the calf muscle on my legs,
because that is where I got a brown streak when I could ride
that long. I rub my arms together like a cricket, and put an
extra layer on what sticks out of my sleeves. (In hot weather,
I wear long linen sleeves -- and on my last few rides they got
soaking wet without spitting water on them.) I still have
brown, speckled arms. And there's a patch on the back of my
hand even though I put on another layer of 50-SPF sunscreen
every time I take off my gloves.

The stick sunscreen is running out and I haven't yet found
another that fits into my pocket. I recently realized that I
can put lotion into a lip-salve box -- if I can find one that
isn't identical in every way to the box I carry A&D in.

I used to carry hand cleaner in my tool kit. A&D cleans hands
just fine, and has a lot of other uses. Also, nowadays, I fix
flats with my cell phone, so I don't need a grease remover.

-- Joy Beeson joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Well, I can recommend the Neutrogena 100+. Did a long hard ride
mostly in direct sunlight yesterday and my tan didn't change at
all.

Once you have developed a good tan it won't change much any more.
Sometimes when working in the yard for a few minutes I get carried
away and cut bushes for a couple hours. No sun screen at that time
but the tan doesn't change anymore. Since moving to California in
the 90's I also don't seem to get sun burns anymore.

My ride was out towards the Altemont Pass. If there is enough sun my
arms will turn red as if I got a sunburn but they will be brown again
the next day. But with that 100+ there was absolutely NO reaction.

Turning red is critical even if it "heals" in a day. I had that as well
years ago but somehow not anymore. It all just tans a bit more over the
weeks.

On of my riding buddies has very white skin, Irish/Scandinavian type. So
he uses SPF100 like you do and no tan or burn ever develops.

One thing to remember is that a tan does not prevent UV damage to the
skin.

Old August 20th 18, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, August 20, 2018 at 3:00:57 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Since moving to California in the 90's I
also don't seem to get sun burns anymore.

That's odd about your location.

Maybe more odd was my experience touring Ireland by bike in the
early 1990s. It was three weeks of the wettest experience in my life.
But the tops of my ears were burned and peeling. And that's back
when I wore a helmet, which I'd think would have shaded my ears.

- Frank Krygowski

Old August 20th 18, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-08-20 11:26,
wrote:

[...]

Yeah, that's a problem. However, people in countries where the majority
has naturally darker skin fare much better in terms of skin cancer rates
despite a much higher UV exposu

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/c...rs/by-country/

They often don't even have sun blocker and don't cover their skin:

https://s-i.huffpost.com/gen/4086324...RS-628x314.jpg

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 20th 18, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On 2018-08-20 11:26,
wrote:

[...]

That is certainly true but on the other hand all of the Caucasians I
know who have developed skin cancer in their later years were outdoors
people that had a good tan for much of their life.

Old August 20th 18, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 13:53:02 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Monday, August 20, 2018 at 3:00:57 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Since moving to California in the 90's I
also don't seem to get sun burns anymore.

That's odd about your location.

Maybe more odd was my experience touring Ireland by bike in the
early 1990s. It was three weeks of the wettest experience in my life.
But the tops of my ears were burned and peeling. And that's back
when I wore a helmet, which I'd think would have shaded my ears.

- Frank Krygowski

It is called "windburn" see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windburn
Old August 20th 18, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-08-20 11:26,
wrote:

[...]

The ones I know or knew :-( ... were mostly light-skinned Caucasians
with a more Nordic ethnic background. They didn't easily develop a tan
but red skin and then blisters. Some of them essentially remained red
all summer. AFAIK that is how the term redneck developed.

Old August 20th 18, 11:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-08-20 13:53, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, August 20, 2018 at 3:00:57 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Since moving to California in the 90's I
also don't seem to get sun burns anymore.

That's odd about your location.

Not odd, we have a lot of sun and most of my bicycle miles have no
shade. For some people the body gets used to that, for others it doesn't
and then you need high-powered sun screen.

This bike path in Rancho Cordova is a typical bike path with the usual
full sun exposu

https://i1.wp.com/totalintensityspor..._113024315.jpg

Maybe more odd was my experience touring Ireland by bike in the
early 1990s. It was three weeks of the wettest experience in my life.
But the tops of my ears were burned and peeling. And that's back
when I wore a helmet, which I'd think would have shaded my ears.

Sure that wasn't from chafing? The tops of my ears don't tan much and
don't get red either. The helmet covers them. Those with bald tops like
me have to watch that area up there though because of the vent holes in
the helmet. So that gets sun screen before I head out. I use SFP30 to SPF50.

Old August 21st 18, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On 2018-08-20 11:26,
wrote:

[...]

Nope :-) A Redneck was originally a term used for a farmer. He
followed a mule around the field all day and the back of his neck got
sunburned.
Old August 21st 18, 09:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 13:53:02 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, August 20, 2018 at 3:00:57 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Since moving to California in the 90's I
also don't seem to get sun burns anymore.

That's odd about your location.

Joerg might be eating more wholesome ketchup than sauerkraut now ... or he
had previously paled during each of those UV-less Dutch winters.

Maybe more odd was my experience touring Ireland by bike in the
early 1990s. It was three weeks of the wettest experience in my life.
But the tops of my ears were burned and peeling. And that's back
when I wore a helmet, which I'd think would have shaded my ears.

I still get paid millions by the Irish Tourism Board to casually mention
that I had under 1/3rd of rainy days, less than 1/6th soakingly wet ones.
Admittedly, that was during a statistically "arid" month.

It is called "windburn" see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windburn

If the rain tastes metallic though, it's properly called "windscale."
Old August 21st 18, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-08-20 11:26,
wrote:

[...]

Sunburned. That's exactly what I said. It got red because the farmer was
of Northern European ancestry and, therefore, his skin burned easily. A
farmer of Southern European, South Asian or African ethnicity could plow
the field all day and not get sunburned.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Sunscreen report [email protected] Techniques 0 July 16th 17 07:07 AM
SUNSCREEN datakoll Techniques 5 May 19th 12 05:42 AM
sunscreen ate my paint [email protected] Techniques 45 September 5th 11 07:01 AM
Sunscreen: Spray or lotion? What you like? [email protected] Techniques 25 July 24th 08 05:21 PM
sunscreen makes you hotter? larry english Techniques 25 August 8th 03 01:58 AM