36er, handlebars and bike seat??

Old November 26th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
eenwieler-sander

Default 36er, handlebars and bike seat??

update:
orderd 2 seatpost to make it fit today on my work i work at a
lbs

so hope to finish it this week

--
eenwieler-sander
Old December 6th 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brycer1968

john_childs;1137784 wrote:
A downhill specific seat like the 'Azonic Love Seat'
(http://tinyurl.com/6a8udo) might be worth a try.

John: I was hopeful about this idea so I got a hold of an Azonic Love
seat and tried it out yesterday - OMG, what a truly horrible unicycle
saddle. Way too hard for distance comfort, but the most troubling bit
was the width in the center was too much, making it really uncomfortable
to pedal - unless your pelvis is bovine-wide. The brief ride I took
made me feel as though someone had slipped concrete into my bike shorts.
I returned the seat and will keep searching.
See picture

|Filename: uni saddle.JPG |

brycer1968
Old December 6th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

haha, wow that seat is massive. The seat that I used was a pretty normal
looking one. I can't imagine anyone riding that thing on a bike where
they are sitting on it for long periods of time.

Also were you using the single handle that is under your seat in the
picture? My handle is quite long and I felt that I would benefit from a
longer one giving me an almost bike like position.

--
saskatchewanian
Old December 6th 08, 06:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brycer1968

saskatchewanian;1143965 wrote:
haha, wow that seat is massive. The seat that I used was a pretty normal
looking one. I can't imagine anyone riding that thing on a bike where
they are sitting on it for long periods of time.

Also were you using the single handle that is under your seat in the
picture? My handle is quite long and I felt that I would benefit from a
longer one giving me an almost bike like position.

Yes, not my brightest idea, but worth trying out. Yes the handle seen
in the pic is one of the off-road "black cock" unihandles I've made for
a while now. I'm with you on the desired bike riding position bit for
long distance rides. See pic of the general riding positon I'm using on
my KH36 now.

For the saddle test, I just tried it out by its self on a rail type
seat post on my 29er - with no handlebar, just around the block and it
so completely and fully failed the comfort test in this state that I
didn't even go on to trying to fit it on a proper handlebar set-up.

|Filename: 424331584_9LJsg-M[1].jpg |

brycer1968
Old December 6th 08, 08:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

I remember the Azonic Love Seat being more narrow than that. I tried it
briefly on a Creative Geckos muni 5 years or so ago. It worked better
on a muni with the lower saddle height. I can't see that Love Seat
working on a Coker.

There is a lot of experimentation in bike seats. Lots of different
shapes and sizes. Even finding a suitable saddle for my fixie bike
required several tries.

I wonder how the 'Azonic Journey' (http://tinyurl.com/5kye5a) might
work for a Coker?

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/3d57bn) :: 'Unicycling Bookmark List'
(http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) :: 'World Clock'
(http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)
Old December 7th 08, 04:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

After reading this thread, I thought it was a good idea to really find
out about how bike seats are designed and how they work exactly.

I read Sheldon Browns Saddle article and it really cleared up a bunch
of things.

For one, you should probably never be using a bike seat without Handle
bars.

Two, choosing the right saddle is ridiculously crucial, look less at
the buzz words and more at width, and the groove in the middle.

Three, it is all about your sit bones, get your weight onto them and
everything is good, have your weight on anything else, and you may as
well just ride on a brick, in fact if you cut the right groove in a
brick, it will probably be more comfy than a bike seat with the wrong
groove for your junk.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

Forgot the article.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
Old December 7th 08, 05:49 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
OneWheelLess

i'm wondering if a saddle more geared toward comfort bikes would be more
along the lines of the needs of a unicyclist. these seats are still
more streamlined than a uni seat, however they are designed for bikes
with a much more upright seating position. generally they are designed
to have most of the rider's weight placed on them at all times (and take
it off of the rider's weak legs and wrists in the case if the intended
demographic, lol)

i have a hunch a saddle similar to one of the inexpensive ones made by
bell would be closer to our needs. (i find these type of saddles way to
soft and squishy for me on a bike, however much less of my weight is on
the seat. on a uni it just might be close to what we are looking for.)
an example:
http://tinyurl.com/5uvoo5

--
OneWheelLess

Seriously, the other wheel just fell off one day.
Old December 8th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brycer1968

OneWheelLess;1144765 wrote:
i'm wondering if a saddle more geared toward comfort bikes would be more
along the lines of the needs of a unicyclist. these seats are still
more streamlined than a uni seat, however they are designed for bikes
with a much more upright seating position. generally they are designed
to have most of the rider's weight placed on them at all times (and take
it off of the rider's weak legs and wrists in the case if the intended
demographic, lol)

i have a hunch a saddle similar to one of the inexpensive ones made by
bell would be closer to our needs. (i find these type of saddles way to
soft and squishy for me on a bike, however much less of my weight is on
the seat. on a uni it just might be close to what we are looking for.)
an example:
http://tinyurl.com/5uvoo5

Yes, the comfort seat is where I might go next, though I hope my ass
never loks like the type of ass that the comfort seats are designed to
cradle/envelop/jiggle/wiggle and wallow around . . . can you say junk in
the trunk? or how's that Queen song go about Fat Bottom Girls? .. . . .
they make the rockin' world go round, I hear . . .
YouTube - queen
photos-fat bottomed girls

Anyway, on a related topic, another local rider, Z. Boisei, wants to
try cutting up the foam on a KH free-ride saddle to make it more bike
saddle like.

His three-part plan, which sounds interesting:
-Carving/excavating an area for his family jewels
-Removing foam from the front sides to narrow down the front of the
saddle with out cutting into the actual seat base.
-Its looking like he might also opt to dispose of the front lift handle
as it is also pretty wide, designed around the seat contour that he is
now changing and it appears to be in evolutionary terms an un-needed . .
"vestigial organ" when you use bigger hendlebars for distance riding.

Thoughts, pics or anyone actually tried any of these seat mods for
distance riding?

brycer1968
Old December 9th 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Checkernuts

I'm thinking that you might actually be able to use a TT bike seat and a
set of aero bars on a 36. It would take a bit of work to get the
geometry right for the aero bar position but I think there may be some
potential there.

Check out Doper Landis he used a bit of an odd TT position with high
hand position. I think if the rider is even more upright with similar
arm position it might work.

[image:
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos...-floyd450.jpg]

Now TT saddles are not know for being the most comfortable thing in the
world is the true drawback of this argument.

--
Checkernuts

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H2O

* -------muni militia -------
one wheeled death squad*
Old December 9th 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brycer1968

OneWheelLess;1144765 wrote:
i'm wondering if a saddle more geared toward comfort bikes would be more
along the lines of the needs of a unicyclist. these seats are still
more streamlined than a uni seat, however they are designed for bikes
with a much more upright seating position. generally they are designed
to have most of the rider's weight placed on them at all times (and take
it off of the rider's weak legs and wrists in the case if the intended
demographic, lol)

i have a hunch a saddle similar to one of the inexpensive ones made by
bell would be closer to our needs. (i find these type of saddles way to
soft and squishy for me on a bike, however much less of my weight is on
the seat. on a uni it just might be close to what we are looking for.)
an example:
http://tinyurl.com/5uvoo5

So I went to the LBS and picked out three saddles that I can retrun if
I don't like. They are all designed for comfort use like this one:
http://tinyurl.com/6bgcs6

They all feel pretty squishy and soft, but I'm gonna install a couple
of them and try them out this next week to see how my ass likes them.

brycer1968