SS 14g 36er Spokes breaking

Old January 7th 09, 09:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
corbin

Default SS 14g 36er Spokes breaking

rob.northcott;1051159 wrote:
The purpose of the washers is to take up slack where the spoke elbow is
wider than the thickness of the flange. This makes sure the main part
of the spoke is against the flange, which puts less force on the elbow
bend. If the flange is thicker, or the spoke elbow is shorter, and
there is no room for a washer, then you don't need the washer (as all it
does is takes up slack, which isn't there).

Rob

The last wheel build I built all by myself (ie: horrible build!) was on
the schlumpf, and it I didn't used the washers. I ended up breaking a
lot of spokes! A proper wheel build with washers and proper tension
prevented me from breaking any more spokes.

just my 2 cents from my experience.

corbin

--
corbin