Good Price?

Old October 20th 08, 04:21 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
LMO[_2_]

Default Good Price?

Aloha all.
I can buy a circa 1997 Vision R42, fully suspended, underseat steering, CSWB
bent for $400. Is this a good bike and a good deal. The bike seems sound.
Thanks.

Old October 20th 08, 04:35 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

LMO wrote:
Aloha all.
I can buy a circa 1997 Vision R42, fully suspended, underseat steering, CSWB
bent for $400. Is this a good bike and a good deal. The bike seems sound.
Thanks.

The pre 1999 SWB Vision 40 series have very quick handling and the
low-speed tiller takes some getting used to. However, even a klutz like
myself can ride one easily with some recumbent experience.

The Vision has a very "open" riding position, with a reclined seat-back
and relatively low bottom bracket (relative to the seat). While this
position is very comfortable and quite aerodynamic, it is not optimum
for sprinting and climbing.

Presumably you are aware that ATP Vision closed their doors several
years ago, so all proprietary spare parts will have to be NOS or custom
made.

New, adjusted for inflation, the suspended R42 would likely be
$1500-1800, so the price is not out of line if the bike is in good
condition.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.

Old October 20th 08, 09:28 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

LMO wrote:
Aloha all.
I can buy a circa 1997 Vision R42, fully suspended, underseat steering, CSWB
bent for $400. Is this a good bike and a good deal. The bike seems sound.

If you can try before you buy, and like it, and realise that any
non-standard bits are going to be problems if they go Foom!, then I'd
say probably a good deal. Assuming it fits your functional
requirements, of course.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old October 20th 08, 07:16 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"LMO" wrote in message ...
Aloha all.
I can buy a circa 1997 Vision R42, fully suspended, underseat steering,
CSWB bent for $400. Is this a good bike and a good deal. The bike seems
sound.
Thanks.

This is a good buy as long as you are sold on short wheelbase. The Visions
were always somewhat pricey and may be part of the reason why they went out
of business. I have never known a Vision owner who did not like the bike.

I have a Vision myself but I had to set it up long wheelbase as short
wheelbase was too quick for me. A Quick steering recumbent will eventually
prove tiring, especially for long tours. For just around town cycling I
don't think it would matter.

By the way, you do not want a crank much above the seat as all that does is
cause numb feet. One final fact - ALL recumbents climb mountains just
horribly! I think Hawaii is rather mountainous, is it not?

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Good price for messenger bag? Iain Dalton Marketplace 9 September 12th 06 07:03 PM
Any good for the price? Mo Saycool UK 4 January 22nd 06 10:14 AM
is this a good price? steve Mountain Biking 8 June 11th 04 10:30 AM
Good Mid-Price Road Wheels? Andrew Swan Australia 32 January 22nd 04 01:04 AM
Good price? Marty Mountain Biking 2 August 11th 03 07:23 AM