bigger lawyer lips on the way?

Old November 11th 05, 07:49 AM
Størker Moe

Default bigger lawyer lips on the way?

On 04.11.05 22:41 Vee wrote:
[...]
Had my units mixed up. Sorry. 180 FARENHEIT isn't so shocking.

180 Celsius IS shocking. For water to be liquid at that temperature,
you'd need 10 bar/145psi absolute pressure (9 bar/130psi gauge). Even
allowing for a small increase in BP due to dissolved substances from the
beans, you'd need a pretty hefty cup to contain coffee at 180 celsius.

Somehow I can't imagine anyone selling coffee in pressurised containers...
--
Størker Moe
'97 GT Avalanche, '01 Trek Fuel 90, '96 Trek 850

Email Storker(DOT)Moe(AT)c2i(DOT)net
WWW http://home.c2i.net/storker_moe/

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Old November 11th 05, 01:15 PM
SriBikeJi

Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:00:36 GMT, SriBikeJi wrote:

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

Having said that, one day I pulled the bike off the carrier on the back of my
car, got on it, and rode off: no check. First time I applied the front brake
it felt funny. Turned out front skewer was *really* loose - i.e. just a little
more and the wheel would have come out. As it was, the lawyer lips probably
saved me.

[snip]

Or maybe the "lips" contributed to the accident. I have noticed that
the lips keep the wheel on even when they aren't adequately tightened.
That's the point of them. I don't think that's a good thing.

I think you would have noticed a problem if the "lips" had been filed
off. You would have arrived at your destination without your front
wheel. Or more likely, you would have noticed the problem when the
wheel feel off while you were loading the bike.

You're making unwarranted assumptions, to wit: that the QR was loose when
the bike was loaded, and it didn't happen from vibration from the road;
that the QR was fully undone while unloading, when it could have been just
partially undone and gone the rest of the way while riding; that thus the
wheel would in fact have fallen off without lawyer lips before he got on
the bike.

Jasper

I'm making some assumptions, but not unwarranted ones.
Old November 11th 05, 03:19 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 19:10:34 -0800, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Just a couple of nights ago Americas Funniest Videos showed a kid doing a
wheelie, only to have the front wheel fall out.

Didn't look particularly funny to me, but there it was....

Not many of the Funniest Videos are actually funny, unless you're Marquis
De Sade.

Plus side, he was likely going pretty slow, so the come down wouldn't be
too harsh.

Jaspe
Old November 12th 05, 06:31 AM
Werehatrack

On 3 Nov 2005 15:48:49 -0800, "Fritz M" wrote:

A mom in West Virginia is suing Wal-Mart for selling defective bikes.
The defect? Quick release front wheels. More info at
http://www.shokbikes.org/

Sue Wal-Mart for improper assembly or lack of instruction, but to sue
them for providing a useful feature is a bad move, IMO.

Something tells me they're barking up the wrong tree with their claim
that the QR is inherently dangerous anyway. A few days ago I looked
at the bikes in three different Wal-Marts while I was trying to find
something else; in one of them, I spotted the fact that four of the
five Mongoose XR200 units on the display rack had their front forks
installed backwards. It was rather obvious. That model has a front
disc brake...and the backwards fork put the caliper ahead of the right
fork tube instead of behind the left one. It's pretty obvious that
they have an assembly QC problem. I would not surprise me if some of
the bikes were leaving with the QR misclamped.

BTW, this is not the first time that I've seen forks on backwards on
bikes in a department store; I've seen that issue with units at Target
as well, and once in a while at Wal-Marts previously. Nor is it
restricted to Mongoose units; other brands have been involved. This
was, however, the first time that I had seen this many misassembled
units in one store on a sinlgle trip.

Of course, employee assembly error isn't the only potential issue.
Given the number of times I've seen people fiddle with things on bikes
on the racks at Wal-Mart around here, it's well within the realm of
possibility that a bike could get sold with a QR that had been
installed right by the store employee, and still looked tight but was
actually ready to fall open due to some bozo having messed with it.
That's part of the down side to selling bikes the way Wal-Mart does
it; they really can't guarantee that any bike is still ready to ride
when the customer takes it off the rack if they leave the bikes where
any random luser can fiddle with them. Of course, if they try to use
that as a defense in a suit, a smart lawyer would then ask "If you
know this is a problem, why haven't you done something to make sure
the bikes are secured or to reinspect them before they leave the
store?"
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old November 15th 05, 01:37 PM
David Damerell

Quoting Werehatrack :
that the QR is inherently dangerous anyway. A few days ago I looked
at the bikes in three different Wal-Marts while I was trying to find
something else; in one of them, I spotted the fact that four of the
five Mongoose XR200 units on the display rack had their front forks
installed backwards. It was rather obvious. That model has a front
disc brake...and the backwards fork put the caliper ahead of the right
fork tube instead of behind the left one.

Well, that'll solve the disc brake wheel ejection problem, at least.

[Joke.]
--
David Damerell Distortion Field!
Today is First Monday, November.
Old November 15th 05, 10:03 PM
Werehatrack

On 15 Nov 2005 13:37:56 +0000 (GMT), David Damerell
wrote:

Quoting Werehatrack :
that the QR is inherently dangerous anyway. A few days ago I looked
at the bikes in three different Wal-Marts while I was trying to find
something else; in one of them, I spotted the fact that four of the
five Mongoose XR200 units on the display rack had their front forks
installed backwards. It was rather obvious. That model has a front
disc brake...and the backwards fork put the caliper ahead of the right
fork tube instead of behind the left one.

Well, that'll solve the disc brake wheel ejection problem, at least.

[Joke.]

But what about the dreaded Rider Pulled Over The Bars By The Caliper
That Tore Loose From The Mount problem? Could be trouble...
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old November 23rd 05, 06:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"David Damerell" wrote in message
Quoting Werehatrack :
that the QR is inherently dangerous anyway. A few days ago I looked
at the bikes in three different Wal-Marts while I was trying to find
something else; in one of them, I spotted the fact that four of the
five Mongoose XR200 units on the display rack had their front forks
installed backwards. It was rather obvious. That model has a front
disc brake...and the backwards fork put the caliper ahead of the right
fork tube instead of behind the left one.

I saw Wal Mart had bikes from several manufacturers with front QR on
yesterday's visit, but they mostly seemed to have a little tag attached with
string, presumably saying, paraphrased "this is a dangerous thing if you
don't know what you're doing".