A blonde wig is safer than a helmet according to:

Old September 11th 06, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
lubaloo

Default A blonde wig is safer than a helmet according to:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/5334208.stm

Old September 11th 06, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dennis Davis

In the referenced article, "lubaloo" writes:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/5334208.stm

or see the original press release at:

http://www.bath.ac.uk/news/articles/...ing110906.html
--
Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK

Old September 11th 06, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nobody Here

lubaloo wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/5334208.stm

Hmmm. Until I read the wig bit I was wondering if the difference was
at least in part to him adopting a different style of riding when
unhelmented, for example unconciously riding closer to the curb so as
to position himself further from the traffic flow. I don't think
I notice if a cyclist is wearing a helmet or not when I'm driving,
but perhaps I do unconciously. I don't think it makes any
difference to me if they're helmeted or not, but the style of
riding certainly does - people wobbling along on sit ups get a
very wide berth, for example, so I guess a cyclist's appearance
does have some influence on how much space I leave them.

--
Nobby Anderson
Old September 11th 06, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Nobody Here wrote:

Hmmm. Until I read the wig bit I was wondering if the difference was
at least in part to him adopting a different style of riding when
unhelmented, for example unconciously riding closer to the curb so as
to position himself further from the traffic flow.

Distance from the kerb was another factor the research was looking at,
so clearly considered in the experimental design.

I don't think it makes any
difference to me if they're helmeted or not

Apparently not what Dr. Walker's research found though...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old September 11th 06, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Peter Clinch wrote on 11/09/2006 14:16 +0100:

I don't think it makes any
difference to me if they're helmeted or not

Apparently not what Dr. Walker's research found though...

And not what my anecdotal experience, posted here previously, showed
either. Its not just distance but care also. I guess I should start
wearing a blonde wig and form BBWIT to lobby for them in schools and
legislation.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old September 11th 06, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Tony Raven wrote:

And not what my anecdotal experience, posted here previously, showed
either. Its not just distance but care also. I guess I should start
wearing a blonde wig and form BBWIT to lobby for them in schools and
legislation.

A remarkably blondist line of reasoning, I must say!

Pete (who was blond before he was bald...).
Old September 11th 06, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dkahn400

Peter Clinch wrote:
Nobody Here wrote:

I don't think it makes any
difference to me if they're helmeted or not

Apparently not what Dr. Walker's research found though...

I think Ian's results support what many of us have long suspected.
However, there does seem to be a weakness in the method if Ian was his
own subject especially if, as I believe, the results confirm his
original suspicions. It would be impossible for Ian to show that his
riding style was not unconsciously affected by his prejudices.

Ideally the experiment would be performed using a number of subjects
who would not be told the aim of the research. It would be difficult to
see how they could avoid inferring it though.

--
Dave...

Old September 11th 06, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dkahn400

Tony Raven wrote:

And not what my anecdotal experience, posted here previously, showed
either. Its not just distance but care also. I guess I should start
wearing a blonde wig and form BBWIT to lobby for them in schools and
legislation.

Once everyone has a BW though, the effect may disappear.

--
Dave...

Old September 11th 06, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Blonde

Hmm not exactly scientific is it?!! I dont wear a helmet but I can't
say I've noticed that drivers treat me any differently to my male and
non-blonde mates... I do wear lycra though, so perhaps that's why!!!
;- )

Old September 11th 06, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
BigRab

Note the poor fella was hit twice by overtaking vehicles during the
course of the experiment. He must be extremely unlucky compared to me
as I've only been hit once in excess of 200 000 miles!

Will the trolls come out from under their rocks and start W*** wars
now?

Robert