Riders I meet

Old March 18th 09, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Default Riders I meet

whoa - lost in country humor

Manhattan is busy, NYC is dangerous, the income spectrum galatic ditto
education ect: a bicycle does not span
whereas in a dump like Texas (see Bush et al ) a bicycle may span the
spectrum thus the nod is harmless possibly positive.
Here in SWFLA, where everyone works for the mob or pretends to, a
nodmay have serious entanglements: eg never stop to help a car with
the hood up
in a dump like Texas, itso freakin hot a nod could be suicidal
yak abt adnoidal mouth breathers !
divinity deleted
Old March 18th 09, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Chalo wrote:
Michael Press wrote:
Chalo wrote:
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:
I've never known anyone to take offense from an unsolicited greeting.
I'm taking offense to being told it's rude not to respond.
You're from NYC, right? Taking umbrage is the traditional pastime
there, is it not?

Here in Central Texas it's customary to greet folks you encounter, and
reply when greeted. But we won't hold it against you if you don't;
we'll just assume you're a Yankee.

Your comments would have weight if you had lived and
flourished in New York City. Rather than speaking from
knowledge you, repeat folk tales.

I have visited there many times since the 1980s. And each time I have
wondered, "whatsamatta wit dese people?!" They're brusque to the
point of rudeness even when they're being nice by local standards.
And they drive like they're on a cocktail of methamphetamine and
pepper spray.

To judge by the inhabitants of Manhattan, what it takes to flourish
there is thick skin and hypercriticality. So, thanks, but I'll be
happy to flourish in a proudly weird and overtly friendly place
instead.

Y'all probably wouldn't like it here, though. It's really hot.

Different experiences I'm sure, but I♥NY!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old March 18th 09, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

andy, what about Tahiti and Bali ?
and off course India ?
Old March 18th 09, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

datakoll wrote:

andy, what about Tahiti and Bali ?
and off course India ?

I have no idea.

It's almost cute that New Yorkers explain any and every
thing with, "Hey! This is New York".

No Curtis Sliwa in Bali.

Old March 18th 09, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

the Balinese get all the breaks
Old March 18th 09, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 19:04:05 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Mar 17, 4:07*pm, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 07:59:55 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:
Yeah, cordiality is at the extreme end of the nice scale. I was
driving in Austin once and kept making all kinds of mistakes since I
was lost, the people behind me were being extremely polite and patient
to the point of being irritating. I felt that I needed to be curse but
nobody would do so. I needed some balance. I didn't want to be in NYC,
where I would have been shot and run over.

By population, where do you think someone is more likely to be shot --
NYC or Texas?

Don't know.

If you don't know, why are you suggesting there is some likelihood or
increased chance of being shot in NYC?

Old March 18th 09, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 19:12:19 -0700 (PDT), datakoll
wrote:

Manhattan is busy,

Yes.

NYC is dangerous

Not so much.
Old March 18th 09, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Mar 17, 6:42 pm, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 18:31:08 -0700 (PDT), Chalo

wrote:
I have visited there many times since the 1980s. And each time I have
wondered, "whatsamatta wit dese people?!" They're brusque to the
point of rudeness even when they're being nice by local standards.
And they drive like they're on a cocktail of methamphetamine and
pepper spray.

To judge by the inhabitants of Manhattan, what it takes to flourish
there is thick skin and hypercriticality. So, thanks, but I'll be
happy to flourish in a proudly weird and overtly friendly place
instead.

I've been in rural places where things happen so slowly. Waiting on a
line and the person dealing with the line is taking his/her time with
each person, stating some vague pleasantries and thus wasting time.
That is so rude.

So thanks, I'll be happy to flourish in a place that respects people's
time and doesn't waste it with rote comments.

No, baby, you misunderstood me. And those rote comments you've seen
are strictly *business* (like what goes on in the city). Here in
Mayberry, it's sincere, man. ;-) (I'm not kidding. I've BTDT in both
camps and know the difference.)

But absolutely I respect your culture.

Old March 18th 09, 04:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

wrote:
Yeah, cordiality is at the extreme end of the nice scale. I was
driving in Austin once and kept making all kinds of mistakes since I
was lost, the people behind me were being extremely polite and patient
to the point of being irritating. I felt that I needed to be curse but
nobody would do so. I needed some balance. I didn't want to be in NYC,
where I would have been shot and run over.

By population, where do you think someone is more likely to be shot --
NYC or Texas?

Don't know.

If you don't know, why are you suggesting there is some likelihood or
increased chance of being shot in NYC?

It was metaphorical. My brother, my step son and daughter in law and
my grand-kids and my cousin live in Manhattan and Brooklyn. I go there
quite often, and I know that I will not get shot. However, if I drive
lost in Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, etc I will be killed by the
insults which is something that would not happen in Austin. So, don't
be so sensitive. I am not saying that Austin is better. I was
irritated by too much politeness there. So, take a chill pill eze.
Old March 18th 09, 08:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 18 Mar 2009 03:27:52 GMT, wrote:

[...]

I believe there is more to life than completing tasks, mainly how that
is accomplished. From what you write, one might get the impression
that you have no time for social socializing, one part of which is
meeting or greeting one's fellow man.

No, the point is that I don't want to socialize with random
strangers. I know many people already and have no need to add more,
random people to that amount.

And to me "socializing" means more than the exchange of platitudes
with people I am unlikely see again.

pics hot meet friend , pics hot meet friends , pics hot meet hardcore , pics hot meet hot meet [email protected] General 0 August 26th 07 01:33 AM
CA uni meet snowkel Unicycling 1 August 7th 07 08:03 AM
CA uni meet MuniAddict Unicycling 1 August 7th 07 04:39 AM
CA uni meet snowkel Unicycling 0 August 7th 07 04:37 AM
ATTENTION RIDERS - Company now forming pro cycling team - RIDERS WANTED Marcello do Guzman Racing 1 July 7th 05 04:38 PM