Cycling and vegetarianism

Old September 1st 04, 07:19 PM
Badger_South

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 12:46:21 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:

Well, I count calories and everything using fitday.com and even when trying
to not eat the fattiest cuts of me (which, BTW, I don't do and never did),
the greatest precentage of calories come from fat. And to be honest, I did
try to limit fat consumption since it does have a lot of calories.

::
:: Just curious.
::
:: -B

OK, gotcha. One of the reasons I like the LC way is that, for me, I didn't
have to do a lot of tracking of calories or food amts or nutrient
distribution and I still gained energy and lost fat and inches fairly
quickly.

For that reason, I don't have the detailed breakdown you get using a
tracker software. Hah, that's interesting, b/c it's one of those things
that slips by you and you never realize how much fat you are getting.

Likewise the few times I tracked better have been when I've had 'stalls' -
you don't realize all the foods you do eat in the course of a day or a
week!

Using your instinct and informally tracking just the main courses you
forget to count dressings and catsup and the odd handful of nuts, or tbspn
of p-nut butter, but still intuit that you're being very strict.
Fortunately I never had to get that detailed to stay in the losing column.

Thanks for the insight.

-B

Old September 1st 04, 07:56 PM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 01 Sep 2004 14:28:57 -0400,
, Badger_South
wrote:

What's a grape fast? Did you mean to say grapefruit fast, or grape juice
fast? Would that be grapefruit juice plus grapefruit sections or just
liquid? How do you go on and come off such a fast.

I eat grapes. Lots and lots of grapes. All varieties but ideally the
most local organic ones. I devour them by the bunch and eat the seeds.
Whenever I'm hungry, I eat grapes until I'm no longer hungry. I'll
carry raisins for a portable snack on the bike and grape juice too.

I like to do a 24 hour fast drinking just water before beginning. Last
year I was craving sushi at the end so that's what I ate.

Maybe 10% of my daily intake is comprised of other fruits and
vegetables like cabbage soup or cole slaw. No dairy, meat or starchy
foods during the fast.
--
zk
Old September 1st 04, 08:21 PM
Roger Zoul

David L. Johnson wrote:
:: On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:38:34 -0400, Roger Zoul wrote:
::
::: Trans-fats are in turkey? Cholesterol in turkey? Gosh.
::
:: What's so surprising about that? Of course there is cholesterol in
:: turkey, along with a lot of fats.

First off, turkey breast is very lean, so this notion of getting lots of fat
is not a given. Second, fat is not some evil food.

I donno specifically about
:: trans-fatty acids, but I imagine there is some of that, too.

Transfats are man-made, hence, the amounts in turkey or any animal food is
of no signficance.

::
:: Turkey, that is, farm-raised turkey, is one of the least healthy
:: things you can eat. Most of those poor birds are juiced up with
:: drugs and hormones their entire lives. Then the darn meat is also
:: juiced up with "broth" (so that they sell what is basically water
:: for the same price per pound as the meat itself), "flavor-enhancing"
:: chemicals, and additional fat.
::
:: If you are going to eat turkey, at least get a free-range bird that
:: is minimally processed.

Agreed, though I'm not so sure about how "least healthy" the turkey meat is.
If it were that bad, then the FDA probably would ban it.

Old September 1st 04, 08:27 PM
Roger Zoul

Preston Crawford wrote:
:: On 2004-09-01, Bob in CT wrote:
::: It's my opinion that low fat is unhealthy. I ate low fat for
::: years, and all it did for me was give me insulin resistance. I
::: switched to low carb and increased my HDL (now over 40 for the
::: first time ever, regardless of how much exercise I did on low fat),
::: decreased my triglycerides, decreased my fasting blood glucose, and
::: have a better total cholesterol/HDL ratio. Plus, I feel so much
::: better on low carb than I did on low fat. My opinion is that low
::: fat is a complete sham and a lie.
::
:: Well, I did low fat for 5 years and lost 160+lbs. and my cholesterol
:: got as low as 120. Now granted, as I've said before, I found I
:: needed more protein and thus I started eating more cheese, gained
:: back some weight and now I'm playing the "find a protein game". But
:: I think my example is proof that not everyone is the same. And
:: certainly for me a low fat diet worked well. Very well. Now, you
:: have to keep in mind that by low fat I don't mean no fat. I know
:: that's not good for you. And to be honest I focus my diet more on
:: getting lots of fruits, vegetables and quality (low glycemic) carbs.
:: So I think I have everything under control except quitting my cheese
:: addiction and finding another protein source. I was simply referring
:: to low fat meat sources. Because if I'm not eating fatty meats and
:: I'm not eating tons of nuts and I'm not eating fatty snacks that
:: leaves me plenty of room to use healthy oils, flax seed, healthy
:: butter substitutes. So I get my fat. I just try to make sure it's
:: good ftat.

Better be careful with butter substitutes...some are full of transfats.

BTW, I once lost 100 lbs on low fat. So I can say that both low fat and low
carb worked for me. However, I find on low fat I had to exercise like a
madman to stay ahead of the cravings and the food was boring. I prefer low
carb to low fat - and low carb is perfect for someone who is diabetic or IR.

Old September 1st 04, 08:27 PM
Preston Crawford

On 2004-09-01, David Reuteler wrote:
Preston Crawford wrote:
See, this is where it gets dogmatic. I don't care whether I remain a
vegetarian or not.

i'm not being *dogmatic* i'm reacting to your apparent intent to stay
vegetarian.

ya see, preston .. you entitled this thread "Cycling and vegeterianism."
if you didn't care one way or the other you could have said, "Cycling and
protein" and no one would have tried to keep ya veggie.

get it?

I understand. And while my intent wasn't to stay vegetarian, my intent was
to grab people's attention and ask if the two are entirely compatible for
me and my situation. Maybe not a specific enough subject. Apologize for
that.

Preston
Old September 1st 04, 08:29 PM
Preston Crawford

On 2004-09-01, Roger Zoul wrote:
Better be careful with butter substitutes...some are full of transfats.

I avoid trans fats like the plague. So no worries there. I use a product
called spectrum spread that is canola stiffened up with sea salt, etc.

BTW, I once lost 100 lbs on low fat. So I can say that both low fat and low
carb worked for me. However, I find on low fat I had to exercise like a
madman to stay ahead of the cravings and the food was boring. I prefer low
carb to low fat - and low carb is perfect for someone who is diabetic or IR.

Could be. I'm trying to take a more middle of the road approach, rather
than one extreme or the other. It worked the first time and there's no
reason it shouldn't work more. I just need to find that protein source,
not cut carbs entirely.

Preston
Old September 1st 04, 08:32 PM
Roger Zoul

Zoot Katz wrote:
:: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 14:28:57 -0400,
:: , Badger_South
:: wrote:
::
[...]

Why do you go on a grape fast? If you're eating 10% intake from other
stuff, how do you call it a fast?

How do you know that those organic fertilizers are completely removed from
grapes? Some of these don't break down quickly, either.

Old September 1st 04, 08:36 PM
Preston Crawford

On 2004-09-01, neil0502 wrote:
My wife does that. Kind of hard to do that at work, though.

A) Preston, you are to be heartily congratulated on your weight loss. You
know you lost an entire person's worth of weight. Bravo!

Thanks!

B) Sounds like a couple of your other issues threaten to increase the
difficulty of keeping this one in check (anxiety, heavy workload). I
presume you're putting some time into managing each of those....

Yes, definitely. I've put my foot down the last 6 months about workload.
It's cost me some jobs, but if I have to choose between money and health
I'll take money. And as I've posted here recently, my health has
increased, my mileage has increased, etc. I just haven't lost much weight
yet, and I'm certain the culprit is my cheese addiction.

As far as the anxiety goes, I'm doing much better. But it's something you
spend time working on, you know. So it cuts into your day, even if you're
working on, or especially when you're working on it.

I had more time back when I wasn't relaxing, wasn't sleeping well and was
a nervous wreck. Now I'm sleeping well, relaxing and getting my exercise,
but I don't have as much time to be a chef in my free time. Trying to
strike a balance.

C) Ah, the ubiquitous smoothie. 'Tis a beautiful thing, and our breakfast
about five days a week. Couple things:

-Exactly. Here's where your protein powder goes (I use some cheapie
generic crap; I think it's egg protein, but whey or any other works, too).
There's *so* much flavor in a smoothie that you can drown out the taste and
texture of virtually any offensive substance ;-)

Sounds good. Still probably too much work for me right now. Pouring a bowl
of cereal and opening a thing of yogurt is much easier. Lunch is where the
trouble is. Because I can't take my smoothie operation to work with me.

Preston
Old September 1st 04, 08:37 PM
Preston Crawford

On 2004-09-01, Tim Howe wrote:
Best of luck!

-Tim

Thanks!

Preston
Old September 1st 04, 08:42 PM
Chalo

"Raoul Duke" wrote:

"Chalo" wrote in message

I went vegetarian in 1987, but I began eating seafood again in 2001.
This was a choice of preference rather than necessity; I believe that
you can get plenty of quality protein for any physical activity if you
eat soy products, dairy products, and eggs.

Imagine taking dietary advice from someone who weighs nearly as much as an
SUV.

Imagine believing someone who could pick you up by your nose with one
hand when he says you can get sufficient protein from a vegetarian
diet.

I wasn't always 400 lbs; at my leanest and fastest I weighed more like
250 lbs. At any time along the way (including now) I carried more
muscle than anybody here. So when I say you can get enough
macronutrients from a veggie diet, you'd better believe it because I
mean enough for _me_, not just a wee person.

Chalo Colina