Cycling and vegetarianism

Old September 1st 04, 09:43 PM
Roger Zoul

Zoot Katz wrote:
:: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 15:32:42 -0400, ,
:: "Roger Zoul" wrote:
::
::::: Maybe 10% of my daily intake is comprised of other fruits and
::::: vegetables like cabbage soup or cole slaw. No dairy, meat or
::::: starchy foods during the fast.
:::
::: Why do you go on a grape fast? If you're eating 10% intake from
::: other stuff, how do you call it a fast?
:::
:: It's detoxifying. Lots of anti-oxidants. Grapes are alkaline so they
:: reduce the acidity of your system. That's good for the liver and
:: kidneys.

I see. I do like grapes, but i'm not sure I could stand to eat them for 10
days!

::
:: The other stuff adds occasional variety so I can continue to eat
:: mainly grapes for the extended period. I've gone as long as 10 days.
:: Call it a "grape diet" instead of a "grape fast" if you prefer. I
:: make the cole slaw with wine vinegar and grape seed oil though.

Oh, I didn't realize you went that long...I was thinking for a day.

::
::: How do you know that those organic fertilizers are completely
::: removed from grapes? Some of these don't break down quickly,
::: either.
::
:: I wash them with "Bio-Cycle" bike de greaser and rinse well.

Old September 1st 04, 09:48 PM
Roger Zoul

Kevan Smith wrote:
:: On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:17:42 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
:: from Posted via Supernews,
:: http://www.supernews.com wrote:
::
::: The trans-fats in turkey are in such amounts as to have no
::: significance. Dietary cholesterol has little, if any effect on
::: serum cholesterol. You're listening too much to the anti-animal
::: crowd.
::
:: Well, I am a PETA supporter. I am also 30 lbs lighter and riding my
:: bike faster than ever. You can eat all the nasty meat you want. I'm
:: taking a pass.
::

Wow....I was half-way joking when I wrote that....you're the first real PETA
supporter I've run into. We hear lots from you guys over in the LC
newsgroup, as you all seem to think that all we eat is meat.

Oh, I'm 130 lbs lighter and riding my bike (I can't claim faster than ever
though because I quit riding around 12 and started again at 45). Oh, and I
got 130 lighter eating animals.

But you're welcome to take a pass on the animals if you like. More power to
ya!

Old September 1st 04, 09:49 PM
neil0502

Zoot Katz wrote

I eat grapes. Lots and lots of grapes. [snip]

Last year I was craving sushi at the end so that's what I ate.

Not so serious comment:

I'm wondering about the potential health benefits of the *inverse* of this
(i.e., eat nothing but sushi--lots and lots of sushi--for only a week and
ending it off with a nice bottle of red wine)

More serious comment: isn't that an overwhelming dose of sugar for the
body?

Old September 1st 04, 09:50 PM
Roger Zoul

Wayne Menzie wrote:
:: Kevan Smith wrote in
:: :
::
::: Well, I am a PETA supporter.
::
:: People Eating Tasty Animals?
:: http://mtd.com/tasty/

No, I think he meant People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).

::
::: You can eat all the nasty meat you want. I'm taking a pass.
::
:: I try to avoid the nasty meat and just eat the yummy bits, like the
:: ribeye.
::
:: --
:: Wayne Menzie

Old September 1st 04, 09:50 PM
the black rose

On 2004-09-01, the black rose wrote:

I've been wondering about that. Everybody says that LC diets are
filling because there's more fat, but it doesn't work that way for me.
I can eat a *huge* amount of steak and not get full, but give me a cup
of rice or one medium potato and I'm stuffed. It's the starchy foods
that fill me up and stick to my ribs, not the meat and fat. Maybe I'm
just weird, I dunno.

That's what I've found too. I'm much more full when my day largely
consists of fruit, veggies, grains, etc. And I don't feel the big swings
in blood sugar that others have mentioned. But all people are different, I
guess. My big thing is just that I need to remove the cheese, not switch
diets entirely.

Must be what people have mentioned, that everybody's different. I don't
notice big swings in blood sugar either, but then, I don't have any
blood sugar issues. I eat a fairly high carb diet and feel run down
when I don't. Others eat a low carb diet and feel better when they do.
It's all good, I guess, I just get a little suspicious when I see a
diet that's deficient enough in essential micronutrients that you HAVE
to take supplements.

The worst diet I ever tried was many years ago, I tried a raw food
cleansing thing. I was hungry ALL THE TIME. It was awful. I lasted
about two days.

I can't imagine that. I've heard of it, of course. But it sounded icky to
me.

Eh, it's not icky on the face of it. It was mostly raw veggies, with
fruits and raw nuts and salad greens and such. Raw peas and beans too,
but I can't eat those. I don't have anything against raw veggies; I'll
snack on them if they're around. But as a steady diet, they left me
ravenous.

There's a noticeable population of folks in Germany who only eat raw
food. There are probably such folks here in the US. But I pretty much
have to eat meat to get a decent amount of protein in my diet, since I
can't digest beans, peas, soy, peanuts, or dairy. Raw meat, now THAT
would be pretty icky. Not to mention a serious health risk.

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie
Old September 1st 04, 09:53 PM
David Reuteler

Bob in CT wrote:
Or fish oil supplements or flax oil or... I know about Omega-3, though
I'm not sure how much I believe in it. For instance, fish oil has been
shown in certain studies to have no effect on heart disease. In fact, it
had a deleterious effect.

fish derived omega3 has tentatively been shown to help with depression as
well (flax may also but no one's tested it).
--
david reuteler

Old September 1st 04, 09:55 PM
Bob in CT

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 20:35:35 GMT, Bob in CT
wrote:

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 20:31:14 GMT, the black rose
wrote:

DRS wrote:
"Bob in CT" wrote in message
news
[...]
However, I
don't worry about added fats; I just don't add them unless there's a
reason to add them. I do use butter and olive oil, though.

Your diet sounds very low in Omega-3. And you need your Essential
Fatty
Acids to be healthy.

Unless he's getting them from fish. He did mention that he was having
salmon today, even. Salmon and tuna are good sources of omega-3. You
can also get some omega-3 from avocados, of all things (I'm allergic,
but YMMV).

-km

Or fish oil supplements or flax oil or... I know about Omega-3, though
I'm not sure how much I believe in it. For instance, fish oil has been
shown in certain studies to have no effect on heart disease. In fact,
it had a deleterious effect.

See, for instance:
http://www.drmirkin.com/archive/6547.html

I know there are more, but I don't have the time to find them.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply
Old September 1st 04, 09:57 PM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:43:13 -0400, , "Roger
Zoul" wrote:

::: Why do you go on a grape fast? If you're eating 10% intake from
::: other stuff, how do you call it a fast?
:::
:: It's detoxifying. Lots of anti-oxidants. Grapes are alkaline so they
:: reduce the acidity of your system. That's good for the liver and
:: kidneys.

I see. I do like grapes, but i'm not sure I could stand to eat them for 10
days!

The first time is rough. By supplementing with a few other fruits or
veggies it's easier.

The two years I missed since 1988 - I got the flu.

Grape fasts have supposedly cured cancer.
--
zk
Old September 1st 04, 09:57 PM
Bob in CT

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:48:19 -0400, Roger Zoul
wrote:

Kevan Smith wrote:
[...]

And I'm over 60 pounds lighter eating as much meat as I want. I also
can't claim I'm faster, because I started mountain biking in CA, moved to
AZ where I mountain and road biked, and now live in CT where I mainly road
bike. However, the terrain in CT is way, way harder than the terrain in
Phoenix, AZ. I can, however, claim much longer riding times/distances.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply
Old September 1st 04, 09:58 PM
Bob in CT

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:43:13 -0400, Roger Zoul
wrote:

Zoot Katz wrote:
:: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 15:32:42 -0400, ,
:: "Roger Zoul" wrote:
::
::::: Maybe 10% of my daily intake is comprised of other fruits and
::::: vegetables like cabbage soup or cole slaw. No dairy, meat or
::::: starchy foods during the fast.
:::
::: Why do you go on a grape fast? If you're eating 10% intake from
::: other stuff, how do you call it a fast?
:::
:: It's detoxifying. Lots of anti-oxidants. Grapes are alkaline so they
:: reduce the acidity of your system. That's good for the liver and
:: kidneys.

hmmm...I thought your body basically kept pH where it wanted?

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply