2005 Veloce 10 speed or 2005 Shimano 105 with half Ultegra

Old November 11th 04, 08:24 AM
Yuri Budilov

Default 2005 Veloce 10 speed or 2005 Shimano 105 with half Ultegra

Greetings

I am sorry if this question starts a religious argument.

I am considering a 2005 new road bike where the overall price is very
similar

Specialized Tarmac Comp/Roubaix Elite with half 105 and half Ultegra 9 speed
versus a Bianchi 928 with 10 Speed Veloce. The Bianchi is about 10% dearer
than Specialized.

Full specs of these bikes are on the web for those interested.....

I would like to know opinions comparing these two group sets. Where does
Veloce fit as compared to Shimano? As good as 105? Better? Same?

thank you in advance

--
Yuri

Old November 11th 04, 01:47 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

yuri- I am considering a 2005 new road bike where the overall price is very
similar BRBR
Specialized Tarmac Comp/Roubaix Elite with half 105 and half Ultegra 9 speed

versus a Bianchi 928 with 10 Speed Veloce. The Bianchi is about 10% dearer
than Specialized BRBR

Remember that 9s ultegra is being discontinued, so the 2005 1/2 ultegra 9s is
actually a 2004/5 bicycle.

BUT even so, get the Campagnolo. For no other reason that the ERGO is more
repairable, maiontainable over the lonbg haul. STI is throwaway if after the 2
yr warranty for 105 or ultegra.

Veloce price wise is similar to 105 but the ERGO design is superior to even DA,
IMV.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old November 11th 04, 03:51 PM
Russell Seaton

I ride Campagnolo equipped road bikes. Both 9 speeds. I am confident
I can get 9 speed parts for a long time to come. But if I were buying
a new from scratch Campagnolo group, I would choose 10 speed. Even
though you can still buy the Campagnolo 9 speed groups. I'd rather
have the current standard for number of cogs.

With your selection, you can get the standard 10 speed Campagnolo
group which has been around for 4 years now. Or you can get the
almost out of date 9 speed Shimano group. Dura Ace was 10 speed last
year and Ultegra is 10 speed this year. Any 9 speed group, whether
Campagnolo or Shimano would not really interest me if I were buying a
new bike and not getting a can't pass up discount.

You'll have to decide yourself on whether you like the Campagnolo Ergo
shifters or the Shimano STI shifters. Just get 10 speed in either
one.

Old November 11th 04, 04:05 PM
bfd

"Russell Seaton" wrote in message
om...

You'll have to decide yourself on whether you like the Campagnolo Ergo
shifters or the Shimano STI shifters. Just get 10 speed in either
one.

Agree, the most important choice is FIT. Which bike fits you better. Part of
that fit is which lever you prefer. Try them both and see.

Old November 11th 04, 11:25 PM
Evan Evans

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...imano_dura-ace
Old November 11th 04, 11:46 PM
Patrick W.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...imano_dura-ace

On the aesthetic front, is it just me or does that group have a serious
fugliness quotient?

yuck

- Patrick W.

Old November 12th 04, 07:44 AM
Yuri Budilov

"Evan Evans" wrote in message
om...
"bfd" wrote in message
"Russell Seaton" wrote in message
om...

You'll have to decide yourself on whether you like the Campagnolo Ergo
shifters or the Shimano STI shifters. Just get 10 speed in either
one.

Agree, the most important choice is FIT. Which bike fits you better. Part
of
that fit is which lever you prefer. Try them both and see.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...imano_dura-ace

Thank you everyone!

Old November 12th 04, 02:28 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

mangoes- On the aesthetic front, is it just me or does that group have a
serious
fugliness quotient? BRBR

Agree, the crank and how high the levers sit into the air...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302