super stuck cassette lockring

Old September 27th 06, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
tom

Default super stuck cassette lockring

Hi all,

I'm trying to remove the cassette on my 2001 Galaxy in order to service
the rear hub which is very noisy.

I couldn't get the lockring to undo using my super crap cassette
lockring tool. No bother, I thought, so upgraded to a Park one. Using
the QR skewer etc in place, the longest wrench I can find and a chain
whip, I can't get the lockring to budge one bit.

Is it down to the (not-so local) LBS for me to see if they can budge
it? If so, what might they do differently from me (other than having
more strength, maybe)?

Cheers! Tom

Old September 27th 06, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"tom" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

I'm trying to remove the cassette on my 2001 Galaxy in order to service
the rear hub which is very noisy.

I couldn't get the lockring to undo using my super crap cassette
lockring tool. No bother, I thought, so upgraded to a Park one. Using
the QR skewer etc in place, the longest wrench I can find and a chain
whip, I can't get the lockring to budge one bit.

Is it down to the (not-so local) LBS for me to see if they can budge
it? If so, what might they do differently from me (other than having
more strength, maybe)?

Stupid question : you are undoing it the right way, aren't you? (ie the
chainwhip is doing something)

cheers,
clive

Old September 27th 06, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
tom

Stupid question : you are undoing it the right way, aren't you? (ie the
chainwhip is doing something)

Yep. It hurts my hand big style, because I've got more leverage from
the wrench. I kept double checking the arrow on the cassette to make
sure, because I was so confused by non-movement.

I've been following the Zinn book and the Park web site guide on the
subject.. Hmm.

Old September 27th 06, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article . com
tom wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to remove the cassette on my 2001 Galaxy in order to service
the rear hub which is very noisy.

I couldn't get the lockring to undo using my super crap cassette
lockring tool. No bother, I thought, so upgraded to a Park one. Using
the QR skewer etc in place, the longest wrench I can find and a chain
whip, I can't get the lockring to budge one bit.

Are you really certain you're turning it the right way?

Is it down to the (not-so local) LBS for me to see if they can budge
it? If so, what might they do differently from me (other than having
more strength, maybe)?

I stand with the wheel resting against my legs (tyre on and fully
inflated to avoid damage to the rim) with the cassette facing away from
me. Chain whip in left hand, spanner in right hand, push down hard on
both. Actually you don't normally need to push very hard.
Alternatively clamp the lockring tool flat in a bench vice and just
heave on the chain whip (anti-clockwise as seen from above).
Old September 27th 06, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Steve Watkin

Try holding the removal tool in the vice and turning the whole wheel
anticlockwise.............like a big steering wheel. Normally works for me.

SW

Old September 27th 06, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article
Steve Watkin wrote:
Try holding the removal tool in the vice and turning the whole wheel
anticlockwise.............like a big steering wheel. Normally works for me.

That works with freewheels, but not with cassette hubs.
Old September 27th 06, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

tom wrote on 27/09/2006 16:48 +0100:
Stupid question : you are undoing it the right way, aren't you? (ie the
chainwhip is doing something)

Yep. It hurts my hand big style, because I've got more leverage from
the wrench. I kept double checking the arrow on the cassette to make
sure, because I was so confused by non-movement.

I've been following the Zinn book and the Park web site guide on the
subject.. Hmm.

Try positioning the chain whip handle and the wrench handle close to
each other so you can squeeze them together and then squeeze them
together using both hands. You can apply a lot more force and more
controlled this way than the usual hold one and lean on the other.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old September 27th 06, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
tom

Are you really certain you're turning it the right way?

Yep. I tested my technique on my Dawes Audax and the lockring came
undone with not too much force, which I am led to believe is the normal
way of things!

Tom

Old September 27th 06, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

tom wrote on 27/09/2006 17:38 +0100:
Are you really certain you're turning it the right way?

Yep. I tested my technique on my Dawes Audax and the lockring came
undone with not too much force, which I am led to believe is the normal
way of things!

Are you sure its a cassette and not a freewheel?

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old September 27th 06, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
tom

Are you sure its a cassette and not a freewheel?

yep, I turned to Sheldon to determine that first..
(http://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html)

Tony, I tried your squeeze technique with the wrench+chain whip. It
felt like I was getting more leverage, you're right, but still no
movement.

No vice at my disposal at the moment.. Is sudden force (ie a hit with a
lump hammer on the wrench) a really bad idea?

Worn Cassette cyclingguy Techniques 33 September 15th 06 01:51 PM
FA: Campagnolo 8-speed cassette lockring jodi Marketplace 0 October 16th 05 08:23 PM
FS: Dura Ace cassette lockring $6 shipped Onrhodes Marketplace 0 January 25th 05 03:42 PM
Cassette Lockring slipping? Alan Hoyle Techniques 6 August 13th 04 02:13 AM
stuck cassette lockring Lou D'Amelio Techniques 2 November 19th 03 06:12 AM