Tire removal for wheel build

Old February 24th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pinefresh

Default Tire removal for wheel build

I have a new hub now and am wondering if you must/should take the tire
off to rebuild the wheel. Oh and this is a trials uni by the way, with
a dx 32 rim.

--
pinefresh

I'm too manly to type I just punch the keyboard and delete the letters I
don't want.
KH 20'' arrived w00t!
pinefresh's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12535

Old February 24th 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
thejdw

(post outdated by new post)

--
thejdw

dunawan wrote:
why are koxx one unicycles so costly???
forrestunifreak wrote:
They are expensive because they use only the finest soft drink cans.

2 unispins landed!
don't follow Jesus, follow me!

thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230

Old February 24th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

No you must remove the tyre, you need to get to the backs of the nipples
to install the new spokes. Also it makes it easy to see how the rim is
running, and what adjustments need to be made. It only takes a few mins
compared to the several hours you're giong to spend building the wheel.

--
kington99

Dave

Old February 24th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

ugh
retarded
of course you do
THINK
come on now, seriously...

ok now that I'm done being a jerk.
technically you DON'T have to if you use the same nipples, but thats
dumb too.
pain in the rear
what exactly are you lacing to what?
you will get help with whatever you need if you just ask.

--
skrobo

Unicycle For Christ

-last edited by \"elvisunifreak\" at 8:35 pm -
skrobo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12272

Old February 25th 07, 04:22 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GhettoSmurf

ok in all honstey.
if you cannot take off a tire
you are NOWHERE near being able to build a *decent* wheel.

please. just take it to your bike shop. it will be worth it. dont be
cheep.

--
GhettoSmurf

http://willowglenbicycles.com/index.cfm[/url]
GhettoSmurf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11929

Old February 25th 07, 06:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

I'm assuming you are talking about putting a splined hub onto a Norco
trials or Bedford light duty. This would mean you have a luna tire and
a DX 32 rim which means it will be a big pain in the ass to get that
tire off, not to mention get it off without damaging the rim. I would
recommend you get some good *PLASTIC* tire removal tools. Metal ones
will without a doubt damage your rim. Make sure they are good tire
tools though otherwise I guarantee they will snap, this is probably the
hardest tire/rim combo to disassemble/reassemble so you need something
of good quality.

To take the tire off you may actualy want three of them. What I do is
deflate the tire, put one tire lever under the bead of the tire and
lift it over the sidewall of the rim, then I jam it in there so it
won't move, then I take another tire lever and I do the same thing
about 4-6 inches down from the first one. Now take your third if you
have one and stick it about 4-6 inches from the second one and do the
same, now you will have a loose one in the middle of the two, take that
one out and repeat the process until you have the whole side of the
tire off. Now do the same thing for the other side of the tire. It
isn't that complicated just takes a bit of elbow grease and time.

If you don't have three tire levers then once you have both of your
tire levers in slide them outwards from eachother if you can, if you
can't then take a strong plastic pen and stick it inbetween the two
tire levers then move it next to one of them so that you can take it
out and use it a bit further from the pen. Always keep the pen in the
middle though as it will be the weakest part and most likely to either
break or come out.

Like the others said though, if you can't/don't know how to get the
tire off I would highly recomend having it built by a bike shop. If you
shop around you should be able to get ahold of the right shop that will
do it for next to nothing. I get my wheels built for 40 bucks including
new spokes, which although it sounds alot is really cheap because they
are custom cut spokes. Last time they had to cut about 7 sizes of
spokes because my rim is bent a tiny bit. This kind of thing cannot be
done at home even if you are a really good wheelbuilder.

Wheelbuilding is a skill, something that takes alot of time to learn
and perfect, learn other bike maintenance skills first before you build
wheels.

I don't want to come off as rude, so hopefully you find this helpful.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)

Old February 25th 07, 06:34 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

DX32 rim is such a hassle to get a tire off of....

I would recommend doing it though, it will make the whole re-trueing
and everything easier and better.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)

Old February 25th 07, 09:09 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

Jerrick wrote:
DX32 rim is such a hassle to get a tire off of....

Interesting that seems to be the consensus, I presume you're talking
about 19" here? I use to have a 24" DX-32 and getting the tyre off was
a piece of cake, I guess you have less room to play with on a 19" rim.

What ntappin said about good quality plastic levers, heed his words, I
refitted a wheel TA yesterday wth some brand new (but cheap) plastic
levers, snapped one and cut my hand open. Finished the job with my
trust 30 year old steel levers, but was lucky not to mark the rim.

--
kington99

Dave

Old February 25th 07, 09:14 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

kington99 wrote:
Interesting that seems to be the consensus, I presume you're talking
about 19" here? I use to have a 24" DX-32 and getting the tyre off was
a piece of cake, I guess you have less room to play with on a 19" rim.

Yeah, I should of mentioned it was for the 19" rims.