Help me fix Habanero mt bike?

Old August 23rd 04, 08:43 PM

Default Help me fix Habanero mt bike?

Several years ago I bought a Habanero mt bike.

I bought a 17 inch frame which I think in retrospect
was a bit small for me

I have plenty of adjustability in the seat height.....
but where I find it really uncomfortable is in my
handlebar height and the "reach" to the bars.

My bars need to be higher......and farther forward
towards front wheel.

Can I just replace the neck on this bike to solve this
problem?

Isn't there something called a riser neck..... that
angles at say 120 degs....and will allow greater reach
and height? My current neck is at 90 degs

If yes..... are BOA necks a good brand to get? If
yes... any advice on what model BOA to get?

Any and ALL advice will be appreciated as I have a VERY
high quality bike just setting unused cause its
uncomfortable to ride.

Thanks in advance!
Old August 23rd 04, 11:37 PM
Werehatrack

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:43:56 -0500, wrote:

Several years ago I bought a Habanero mt bike.

Nice choice.

I bought a 17 inch frame which I think in retrospect
was a bit small for me

That's an easy mistake to make.

I have plenty of adjustability in the seat height.....
but where I find it really uncomfortable is in my
handlebar height and the "reach" to the bars.

My bars need to be higher......and farther forward
towards front wheel.

Can I just replace the neck on this bike to solve this
problem?

As noted already, the part is called a "stem", and yes, getting the
right one will probably solve the problem. The trick is finding out
what's the right one.

Isn't there something called a riser neck..... that
angles at say 120 degs....and will allow greater reach
and height? My current neck is at 90 degs

They're typically labelled with the angle of deflection from straight
since most of them can be installed either angled up or down. For the
angle you mentioned, it would be a 30 degree stem. That might or
might not give you enough height to get you where you want to be.

If yes..... are BOA necks a good brand to get? If
yes... any advice on what model BOA to get?

Any and ALL advice will be appreciated as I have a VERY
high quality bike just setting unused cause its
uncomfortable to ride.

If your local bike shop isn't willing to allow some try-before-you-buy
stem swapouts in order to find the one you really need, here's a
different suggestion; adjustable stems are made whose angle can be
changed just by loosening a bolt. They're not a perfect solution. As
the stem pivots on the adjuster, it moves in an arc; when adjusted to
bring the bars up, it also moves them back somewhat. However, if you
add a steerer tube extension to the bike, such as this one

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/stems.html#raisers

you can move the whole stem up a couple of inches, which might solve
the problem all by itself, or it might allow an adjustable stem to get
you perfectly dialed in. If the starting location for the adjustable
stem is higher, it wouldn't need to have as much angular deflection in
order to achieve the final height that you need...assuming that it's
somewhere close to the right length.

Another possible solution exists as well; "riser" handlebars, with
anywhere from 1/2" to 3" of upwards bend. They are commonly available
from a number of sources.

Choose what fits your budget best, but be aware that in the search for
the perfect fit, you may have to change something more than once.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old August 24th 04, 04:08 PM

Another possible solution exists as well; "riser" handlebars, with
anywhere from 1/2" to 3" of upwards bend. They are commonly available
from a number of sources.

Im pretty sure they are flat bars. So a set of riser
handlebars might be an easier better fix than changing
stem out huh?

Any specific recommendations of a GOOD quality set of
riser bars to buy?
Old August 24th 04, 11:17 PM
SuperSlinky

said...

[...]

It would help if we knew how tall you are. There are many stems
available, but not many of them offer a lot of rise. There are some
cheap 40º (that would be 130º according to the way you described it)
stems available from Performance. This is the most rise I have seen.
Thomson has them in 15º, and that is the most you will typically find.
Note that as the degree of rise goes up, the effective length decreases.
Coincidentally, the Habanero cycles site has a stem calculator that
illustrates this:
http://www.habcycles.com/fitting.html. If you don't
have a riser bar, get one, or if you do have one, get one with more
rise. This is a better solution, IMO, than a riser stem. Then get a long
stem. Stem length does have a noticeable effect on handling, with short
stems being twitchier, and long stems being slower.
Old August 25th 04, 02:26 AM

If you don't
have a riser bar, get one, or if you do have one, get one with more
rise

Any brand/modesl of riser bars you can recommend?
Old August 27th 04, 05:18 PM

It would help if we knew how tall you are.

Im 5' 10"...... maybe 5' 11"

Weigh 200 lbs..... but have small frame and features. A
bit over weight

Pants leg inseam is 32?

Help any?