The number of years - too short? Sometimes!

Old January 29th 05, 09:39 PM
Maggie

Default The number of years - too short? Sometimes!

I just arrived home from a funeral for a man who knew how to live. He
died at age 54. Such a short amount of time but my goodness what he did
with that time. He leaves a beautiful wife he adored,and who adored
him. Plus he leaves six very successful, kind and loving children. He
came from a family of eight brothers and sisters whom he loved so much.

The church was packed. People actually had to stand in the back it was
so full.

He had a kidney transplant 8 years ago and it was his sister who gave
her kidney. Since that transplant he never changed his life or his
passion for living. He had a dream to learn to fly a plane and he did.
He earned his pilots license a few years ago.

He also gave bicycle tours to everyone who came to visit when he was at
his summer house. Some days he would go out in his kyak just to
explore.

Before the kidney transplant he used to run the NYC Marathon every
year. He loved adventure, He loved life, he loved people. He was a
kind and generous man. He was loved. In 54 years he left a legacy that
will never be forgotten. His six children have his enthusiasm for life,
his sense of adventure and his smile. He lives on in them.

54 years does not seem like enough time for such a man, but in 54 years
he did more than some people do in 90.

If I came away from that service with anything it is the fact that Life
is an adventure, a journey, and if you dream it, you can do it. He had
that optimism. He was successful at everything he did because he
believed in himself and took risks.

In the booklet we received it reads...

Bill always encourged everyone to follow their dreams, whether it was
starting a new business, finishing college or learning to whistle with
your hands. Bills optimism, his genuine love of life and his unending
faith will always be remembered.

I came away from that service with a new understanding of what it means
to really live your life and never give up. He rode his bicycle, flew
his plane, built homes for the Applachia project and loved his family
and friends. He was quite a man. He lived long enough to see his
children grow into wonderful, kind adults. That is a blessing. They are
his legacy.

Thanks for listening.

All Good Things,
Maggie

Old January 29th 05, 10:46 PM
psycholist

Thanks for sharing!

Sorry you lost a friend, but glad you had such a friend who was such an
inspiration.

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Old January 29th 05, 11:37 PM
Beverly

"Maggie" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just arrived home from a funeral for a man who knew how to live. He
died at age 54. Such a short amount of time but my goodness what he did
with that time. He leaves a beautiful wife he adored,and who adored
him. Plus he leaves six very successful, kind and loving children. He
came from a family of eight brothers and sisters whom he loved so much.

Sorry you lost your friend, Maggie. I think we've all known someone like
this who lives life to the fullest and inspires others to do the same. I
know I've certainly known many people like this is my life. Hopefully all
of us can gain from having known them and inspire to be just like them.

Beverly