Bicycle mechanic

Old July 28th 10, 08:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
-M-

Default Bicycle mechanic

The short of it: How difficult is it for somebody pushing 50 with
little experience assembling and repairing bicycles (aside from the
occasional brake pad or derailluer cable) but with a sharp mind, good
attitude and good mechanical aptitude to become a bicycle mechanic?
And how/where does that person start?

The long of it: About a year or so ago some friends and I were
sitting around having beers and one of the topics that came up is what
would you do differently if you could do it all over again? After
some thought I said I would have become a bicycle mechanic or
otherwise worked in the industry. I know it doesn't pay well but
bicycling makes me happy and if I can pass along some of the joy, all
the better. Well as things would have it it's looking more and more
like the company I've worked for for the past 12 year is going to
jettison me into the ranks of the unemployed. I wouldn't say money is
no object but I've watched my dimes over the years so the significant
pay cut I would take becoming a mechanic wouldn't be devastating. My
biggest worry is getting up to speed. So many things you learn by
seeing and doing that you just can't reproduce. So what say you
all? Where to being? Is it doable? Would a shop even give me a
second look? Thanks for your time

“Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.” -
Confucius
Old July 28th 10, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jack

On Jul 28, 3:09*am, -M- wrote:
[...]

If it's something you truly want to do, you can do it. One step at a
time. Start now. Good luck. I'd start by building up your toolbox
and reading and practice with your own bike. Practice every day. Or
almost every day.
Old July 28th 10, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
raamman

On Jul 28, 3:09*am, -M- wrote:
[...]

sorry man, but i don't think you could even work for free in a shop; a
shop needs a guy who's quick and nimble who's already up to speed= you
haven't done anything, brake pads and derailer cables don't count.
Old July 28th 10, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jack

On Jul 28, 12:59*pm, raamman wrote:

[...]

People can learn. Even old people.
Old July 29th 10, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Schweik[_2_]

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 09:01:15 -0700 (PDT), Jack
wrote:

On Jul 28, 3:09*am, -M- wrote:
[...]

Given that the great majority of "bicycle mechanic-ing" is rudimentary
there should be little or no problems in learning at least the basics
of the profession. (I am excepting building frames from the
discussion) and in fact a great deal of the "knowledge" is simply
personal preference - do a search on chain lubrication for an example.

Certainly a reasonably competent mechanically inclined person should
have no problems picking up the trade.

Cheers,

Schweik
(goodsoldierschweikatgmail)
Old July 29th 10, 04:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Thompson[_3_]

On 2010-07-28, -M- wrote:

The short of it: How difficult is it for somebody pushing 50 with
little experience assembling and repairing bicycles (aside from the
occasional brake pad or derailluer cable) but with a sharp mind, good
attitude and good mechanical aptitude to become a bicycle mechanic?
And how/where does that person start?

The long of it: About a year or so ago some friends and I were
sitting around having beers and one of the topics that came up is what
would you do differently if you could do it all over again? After
some thought I said I would have become a bicycle mechanic or
otherwise worked in the industry. I know it doesn't pay well but
bicycling makes me happy and if I can pass along some of the joy, all
the better.

Well, I've worked in the bicycle industry as a mechanic and in
manufacturing and while I loved every minute of it (pretty much), I
found I couldn't raise a family on what I was paid. I left the bicycle
industry and now am a well paid professional outside of the bicycle
industry and still enjoy riding. There are things I miss about working
in the bicycle industry but the pay is not one of them.

--

-John )
Old July 29th 10, 08:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
raamman

On Jul 28, 1:28*pm, Jack wrote:

People can learn. *Even old people.-

I'm not doubting that- I am getting a bit long in the tooth too- but
instead of getting his hopes high while it appears he may have to find
another job, I think a reality bath is called for. Specifically, if he
wants to become a bike mechanic then why hasn't he pursued said
activities before ? it is like expressing a desire to become an artist
or a writer in the future- if that is something you want to do, you'd
be doing it. he'd have better chance becoming a bike courier than a
mechanic I think ( there were a few white haired old guys I think 4-5,
60+ back in my day on the road).
Old July 29th 10, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jack

On Jul 29, 3:02*am, raamman wrote:
On Jul 28, 1:28*pm, Jack wrote:

People can learn. *Even old people.-

I'm not doubting that- I am getting a bit long in the tooth too- but
instead of getting his hopes high while it appears he may have to find
another job, I think a reality bath is called for. Specifically, if he
wants to become a bike mechanic then why hasn't he pursued said
activities before ? it is like expressing a desire to become an artist
or a writer in the future- if that is something you want to do, you'd
be doing it. he'd have better chance becoming a bike courier than a
mechanic I think ( there were a few white haired old guys I think 4-5,
60+ back in my day on the road).

Yeah. The future never comes.

The Pro Team Mechanic Ron Techniques 0 May 30th 08 11:05 PM
Top Nanaimo Bicycle Mechanic, Patrick Michael Sullivan, on the Topic of "Wheelies" BREAKING NEWS! General 1 March 10th 08 09:02 PM
Mechanic Question chrismhaney Racing 5 October 25th 07 04:21 PM
I is a mechanic now!!! small change Mountain Biking 12 August 21st 06 05:00 AM
Video producer seeking bicycle mechanic for how-to video production David Welch General 0 February 5th 04 11:30 PM