BR19 Report

Old November 1st 04, 03:33 AM
Tamyka Bell

Default BR19 Report

Claes wrote:

Tamyka Bell Wrote:
Claes wrote:

snip

I did 85.0 k unassisted down the first hill. I got 78 k when

overtaking
that car, and then 73 k down another hill. It is great to be able to
view all stats after the ride. So, I have this stored on my pc, I
can prove it.

You can prove what your computer measured... but how do I know that
it's
calibrated to your wheel size...

T, ever the sceptic...

That can be read of my computer as well, I can copy a screen shot if
you want to. But, it is calibrated to my 23 mm tyres.

Of course everyone can lie, but we have five people or more that have
reached over 80 k, measured on their computers of course. So, there
could
be a big conspiracy, but if you doubt it, come along one sunday and
take
your calibrated computer and see what you get to.
A word about calibration, say you move the bike forward and measure the
distance of five revolutions, you will always measure a longer distance
than
true five revolutions, due to the fact that you will wobble a bit back
and forward. Second, what are you measuring the distance with?
Definitely NOT
a calibrated measuring tape. So, in that case, if one is a much a
sceptic as
you are, then we can toss the computers away, they can NOT be
calibrated
for a cost less than a few hundred dollars. I have worked with
calibration
of many mechnical and electrical parameters/measuring devices.
No one is reporting this to some world record book, it is just a fun
detail about
a particular ride.

Well, I said it for a bite, but I wasn't expecting a lecture. Serves me
right I guess.

I would love to join you on a ride, but it's not worth the cost. It
would be cheaper for me to send you the few hundred dollars, given
petrol/flights/lack of pay.

Alternatively, come visit me if you want to borrow one of my Ar+ lasers.
You can use it to calibrate your tape measure ;-)

Old November 1st 04, 03:36 AM
Tamyka Bell

DaveB wrote:

ritcho wrote:
If and when the cops catch the BR crowd speeding down one of these
hills, I'd like to hear the conversation: Honest officer, I was doing
87.9! not 85 - I can prove it... here!

Ritch

I have been wondering what the speed limit is on the big hill but never
think of it till too late. It changes to 70kph near the bottom but not
sure if it is originally 80kph or 100kph. Not that it matters to me
seeing I never even get to 70kph.

DaveB

Is that because (1) you don't crest fast enough (2) you're too scared to
go faster or (3) you just don't weigh enough and it is physically
impossible to get enough draft to keep up with bigger people.

I used to blame mine on (3), and with most of the hills I travel it's
still true (and SO not fair, it doesn't matter how low I go, the big
boys still pass me); but at Noosa last year, non drafting (really?), I
found out it was (2). I got the wobbles at 80kph and it was pretty
scary.

Thanks ritcho for covering my lack of smilie. I feel like such an (_!_)
Old November 1st 04, 03:38 AM
Claes

Tamyka Bell Wrote:

Well, I said it for a bite, but I wasn't expecting a lecture. Serve
me
right I guess.

I would love to join you on a ride, but it's not worth the cost. It
would be cheaper for me to send you the few hundred dollars, given
petrol/flights/lack of pay.

Alternatively, come visit me if you want to borrow one of my Ar
lasers.
You can use it to calibrate your tape measure ;-)

Not meaning to lecture, just that you seemed to take it to seriosly, s
I took to the horizon, as far as serious goes.

Is your laser calibrated? :

--
Claes

Old November 1st 04, 04:02 AM
Tamyka Bell

Claes wrote:

Tamyka Bell Wrote:
Well, I said it for a bite, but I wasn't expecting a lecture. Serves
me
right I guess.

I would love to join you on a ride, but it's not worth the cost. It
would be cheaper for me to send you the few hundred dollars, given
petrol/flights/lack of pay.

Alternatively, come visit me if you want to borrow one of my Ar+
lasers.
You can use it to calibrate your tape measure ;-)

Not meaning to lecture, just that you seemed to take it to seriosly, so
I took to the horizon, as far as serious goes.

Is your laser calibrated?

to sub angstrom level...

Old November 1st 04, 04:29 AM
TimC

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 at 04:02 GMT, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
Claes wrote:
Not meaning to lecture, just that you seemed to take it to seriosly, so
I took to the horizon, as far as serious goes.

Is your laser calibrated?

to sub angstrom level...

In high school, one of the pracs was somehow measuring the wavelength
of a HeNe laser. I can't quite remember the method, but the kind of
accuracy we could obtain would naturally be mm in the metre.

So it was a proud moment when I obtained 632.8 nm

C'mon, give me a break, it was only year 12

Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers.
Old November 1st 04, 04:38 AM
DaveB

Tamyka Bell wrote:
DaveB wrote:

ritcho wrote:
If and when the cops catch the BR crowd speeding down one of these
hills, I'd like to hear the conversation: Honest officer, I was doing
87.9! not 85 - I can prove it... here!

Ritch

I have been wondering what the speed limit is on the big hill but never
think of it till too late. It changes to 70kph near the bottom but not
sure if it is originally 80kph or 100kph. Not that it matters to me
seeing I never even get to 70kph.

DaveB

Is that because (1) you don't crest fast enough (2) you're too scared to
go faster or (3) you just don't weigh enough and it is physically
impossible to get enough draft to keep up with bigger people.

Purely due to fear factor. My speeds have slowly crept up on the new
bike which is a lot more stable at speed. But I'm usually thinking about
how much damage I did earlier in the year at 15kph and that's when the
hands instinctively grab for the brakes.

As for point 3, I WISH!

DaveB

Old November 1st 04, 05:41 AM
Tamyka Bell

Claes wrote:
Not meaning to lecture, just that you seemed to take it to seriosly, so
I took to the horizon, as far as serious goes.

Is your laser calibrated?

to sub angstrom level...

In high school, one of the pracs was somehow measuring the wavelength
of a HeNe laser. I can't quite remember the method, but the kind of
accuracy we could obtain would naturally be mm in the metre.

So it was a proud moment when I obtained 632.8 nm

C'mon, give me a break, it was only year 12

A HeNe costs a few hundred. An Ar+ costs over $40,000. They come with
bonus technicians who align 'em for you. Some of them have genuine laser
burns on their retinas.

Old November 1st 04, 05:57 AM
TimC

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 at 05:41 GMT, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
A HeNe costs a few hundred. An Ar+ costs over $40,000. They come with
bonus technicians who align 'em for you. Some of them have genuine laser
burns on their retinas.

I have nothing here to add, but siggy does.

"Warning: Do not look into laser with remaining eye" -- a physics experiment
"Press emergency laser shutdown button with remaining hand" -- J.D.Baldwin @ ASR
Old November 1st 04, 10:58 AM
Blah

"NickZX6R" wrote in message
blah wrote:
"Gags" gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au wrote in message

For those who care........

-snip-

Thanks guys.....great ride, great company.

Ride On,

Gags

****ed off I missed it... At 8.30 I was at Box Hill Hospital. Woke up
Saturday with a sore ball of the foot (left). Felt like it was joint
soreness like I used to get from too much running. By the end of the
day the whole foot was swollen up like a balloon (not a very inflated
one, but I needed a simile). Couldn't move my big toe. By 5.00am I was
in a fair amount of pain and feeling nauseous, cold sweats; could
barely move my ankle let alone toes. Went to emergency later in the
morning, about 7ish and spent half the day getting blood test and
x-rays. They essentially said 'you have a sore foot' and gave me some
pain killers and anti-inflams. Spent the day on the couch in mild
pain. Foot's getting better, and I hope to be riding by Thursday. See
you all Sunday for BR20, hopefully.

pfffft.....softcock

At least I admitted I couldn't be bothered getting out of bed

--
Nick

You got me... 'keep your lies simple, keep your lies simple'... Too
involved? How 'bout this? I was abducted by aliens. No? Oh well.

Old November 1st 04, 12:18 PM
Gags

Ahhh well...there's always next week.

What was the total kms for you Gags?

I had a 10km ride to get to the start and then I finished at Watsonia for a
total of 60km.

Gags