BR19 Report

Old November 1st 04, 12:21 PM
Gags

Default BR19 Report

"Claes" wrote in message

Tamyka Bell Wrote:
Claes wrote:

snip

I did 85.0 k unassisted down the first hill. I got 78 k when

overtaking
that car, and then 73 k down another hill. It is great to be able to
view all stats after the ride. So, I have this stored on my pc, I
can prove it.

You can prove what your computer measured... but how do I know that
it's
calibrated to your wheel size...

T, ever the sceptic...

That can be read of my computer as well, I can copy a screen shot if
you want to. But, it is calibrated to my 23 mm tyres.

Of course everyone can lie, but we have five people or more that have
reached over 80 k, measured on their computers of course. So, there
could
be a big conspiracy, but if you doubt it, come along one sunday and
take
your calibrated computer and see what you get to.

A word about calibration, say you move the bike forward and measure the
distance of five revolutions, you will always measure a longer distance
than
true five revolutions, due to the fact that you will wobble a bit back
and forward. Second, what are you measuring the distance with?
Definitely NOT
a calibrated measuring tape. So, in that case, if one is a much a
sceptic as
you are, then we can toss the computers away, they can NOT be
calibrated
for a cost less than a few hundred dollars. I have worked with
calibration
of many mechnical and electrical parameters/measuring devices.

No one is reporting this to some world record book, it is just a fun
detail about
a particular ride.

--
Claes

I am gonna put a second magnet on the front wheel and go for 100mph next
week

Gags

Old November 1st 04, 12:23 PM
Gags

"blah" wrote in message
om...
"Gags" gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au wrote in message

For those who care........

-snip-
Thanks guys.....great ride, great company.

Ride On,

Gags

****ed off I missed it... At 8.30 I was at Box Hill Hospital. Woke up
Saturday with a sore ball of the foot (left). Felt like it was joint
soreness like I used to get from too much running. By the end of the
day the whole foot was swollen up like a balloon (not a very inflated
one, but I needed a simile). Couldn't move my big toe. By 5.00am I was
in a fair amount of pain and feeling nauseous, cold sweats; could
barely move my ankle let alone toes. Went to emergency later in the
morning, about 7ish and spent half the day getting blood test and
x-rays. They essentially said 'you have a sore foot' and gave me some
pain killers and anti-inflams. Spent the day on the couch in mild
pain. Foot's getting better, and I hope to be riding by Thursday. See
you all Sunday for BR20, hopefully.

Give me a yell if you want to borrow one of my size 14 bike shoes!!!

Ride On,

Gags

Old November 1st 04, 01:11 PM
Duncan

"NickZX6R" wrote in message
I knew I should've come along. Didn't get home until late the night
before and decided I would sleep in. Regretted it almost straight away.

Ahhh well...there's always next week.

What was the total kms for you Gags?

Anyone break 87.6km/h?

You guys really should incorporate Foote st into the BR. The bit where it
runs west from Williamsons Rd in Templestowe is great for top speed runs.
My all time record is 97 after tailing a 4x4 but even when I'm tired I can
pull off a solo 84+. I had a go on saturday and even after a long hilly
ride I did an 87.
I've been tempted to do a BR but 7:20 AM sunday morning is time to go to
bed, not to be getting up.

PS. My speedo is correctly calibrated and has been independantly checked
:-)

Old November 1st 04, 01:31 PM
aeek

Gags Wrote:
I am gonna put a second magnet on the front wheel and go for 100mp
next
week

my 2 highest (triple digit) readings were
a) coming down Greenhill Rd, Adelaide and I was surprised how slowl
this van was taking the corner. Locked my rear wheel in the banke
traffic, scary.
The speed sensor was on the chain stay, figure I got stutter jus
right.
b)slow speed through Canberra Uni and the path forked, lost both wheel
on the damp cement as I hesitated, front sensor that time

--
aeek

Old November 2nd 04, 10:18 AM
Geoff

"Gags" gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au wrote in message
For those who care........

Four riders today....me, DaveB, Claes, Irish Dave. Didn't get started
until
about 0830h (I am keen to get back to 0720h start next week). We rode at
fairly easy pace today apart from the usual rushes of blood on the
downhills. Did the "medium" length BR that went as far as Panton Hill
before heading back for Greensborough.

Weather was beautiful (again). We stopped at a bakery in Diamond Creek
for
a 10 min break (can of coke and two donuts for me...mmmmmmm.....donuts).
The run down from the roundabout to Greensborough was fun.....I caught up
with a car and then thought better of overtaking it on the left so I
slowed
down.....Claes then proceeded to go past the car in the right hand lane
with
a big ****-eating grin on his dial (crazy Swede).

I turned off at Lwr Plenty Road so I am not sure how much further the
other
guys went??

Thanks guys.....great ride, great company.

Ride On,

Gags

Hi guys,

The late start time didn't fit in with the rest of the day so that's why you
didn't see me there on Sunday. Instead the plan was to have a sleep in and
do the 7:30 Sunday Bundoora Bunch closer to home. As it turned out I didn't
sleep in and left at first light to cover the same route as the Bundoora
Bunch do, via Humevale up to Kinglake West, which is a round trip of 70kms
from my place. It's a reasonably flat ride with just one major climb which
is around 7km long. And for those obsessed with breaking downhill speed
records... there's a long (6-7km) very fast route down this hill via the
Kinglake-Whittlesea road. Coasting down this one I hit 87km/h so speeds in
the nineties would be achievable by putting in some pedal power.

Gags,
The total distance for the standard loop (Doncaster-Doncaster) is around
64km if you head back to the start via Kew. I think the loop out to Panton
Hill and St Andrews adds around 20km to the standard loop.
I'm also keen to get back to the Doncaster 7:20 start time. I should be
there next week if I don't have the urge to go crit racing instead.

Geoff

Old November 2nd 04, 10:40 AM
Geoff

"DaveB" wrote in message
ritcho wrote:
If and when the cops catch the BR crowd speeding down one of these
hills, I'd like to hear the conversation: Honest officer, I was doing
87.9! not 85 - I can prove it... here!

Ritch

I have been wondering what the speed limit is on the big hill but never
think of it till too late. It changes to 70kph near the bottom but not
sure if it is originally 80kph or 100kph. Not that it matters to me seeing
I never even get to 70kph.

DaveB

I was actually thinking about the legality of our speeds down these hills
the other week. The first drop is in an 80km/h zone (BR speeds are usually
83+) the one into Greensborough is in a 70km/h zone (BR speeds are usually
75+) and the one past Simpson Barracks is a 60km/h zone and we have been
known to exceed that one as well by quite a bit too. I do however think if
the police were to set up a radar/laser on these roads they would be too
busy going after motorcycles to worry about some guys on push bikes. But on
the other hand we would be easier to catch.

Geoff

Old November 2nd 04, 11:10 AM
DaveB

Geoff wrote:

I'm also keen to get back to the Doncaster 7:20 start time.

Yep back to 7:20 next week, now that the body has had some chance to
adjust to daylight savings.

St Andrews loop for those that want to ride. Panton Hill loop for those
that want a bakery stop and wait for the others. mmmmmmmmmmm snot block
and Coke.

DaveB

Old November 2nd 04, 11:11 AM
flyingdutch

Geoff Wrote:

I was actually thinking about the legality of our speeds down thes
hills
the other week. The first drop is in an 80km/h zone (BR speeds ar
usually
83+) the one into Greensborough is in a 70km/h zone (BR speeds ar
usually
75+) and the one past Simpson Barracks is a 60km/h zone and we hav
been
known to exceed that one as well by quite a bit too. I do howeve
think if
the police were to set up a radar/laser on these roads they would b
too
busy going after motorcycles to worry about some guys on push bikes.
But on
the other hand we would be easier to catch.

Geoff

Easy fixed. its unlikely that they will remember which one of u
exactly was the one clocked so we all just claim "it wasnt me". Gonn
be a bit ahrd distinguishing which one if we are all together. hehe :

disobedient-dutch who only goes 60kph. honest..

--
flyingdutch

Old November 2nd 04, 11:13 AM
DaveB

Geoff wrote:
The late start time didn't fit in with the rest of the day so that's why you
didn't see me there on Sunday. Instead the plan was to have a sleep in and
do the 7:30 Sunday Bundoora Bunch closer to home.

What are they like to ride with Geoff? As we get into the tri season I
need some flat rides with a fairly constant speed and was thinking of
joining that ride to Whittlesea and back.

DaveB

Old November 2nd 04, 12:25 PM
SteveA

Geoff Wrote:
"DaveB" wrote in message
ritcho wrote:
[...]

but then an 'official speed slip' would counter all those arguments
about lack of calibration of bike computers etc

SteveA

--
SteveA