Advice on buying bike?

Old March 7th 04, 05:56 PM
Dulcie

Default Advice on buying bike?

Want to buy a bike for keeping fit - but gently - not mountainbiking! I
haven't owned a bike for 20 yrs so not sure what to look for. Can anyone
tell me what might be wrong with this one...

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...y?storeId=1000
1&langId=-1&catalogId=1751&productId=84002

has an aluminium frame, so I assume it's probably light, which is what I
want & it's a respectable brand. Could I get one with these attributes
(light, good suspension) for less? I notice it doesn't have mudguards but
I'm not expecting to go out in the rain so guess that doesn't matter.

Thanks,
Dulcie

Old March 7th 04, 07:27 PM
Dan Brussee

Sounds like you are between what is commonly called a "Comfort" bike
and a "Hybrid". A comfort bike is pretty much what you have shown with
the link you provided. A hybrid will move just a smidge toward
performance, but still be quite comfortable to ride on roads. Neither
of these should be considered for any but the most mild offroad
riding.

Personally, I would suggest NOT looking for suspension. For an
inexpensive bike, it wont work well, and will weigh down the bike -
ultimately making the bike more difficult to ride.

Mudguards as you call them can be added to most any bike in one way or
another, but I would agree that you will probably be happier starting
without them.

Bottom line, spend as much as you feel comfortable spending on the
bike itself. Make sure it fits and is comfortable to ride. I would
suggest looking at your local bike shop instead of the discount stores
since even though you may pay a few dollars more, they will make sure
the bike fits and is tuned up for you while you learn the sport /
hobby of bike riding

Below the bottom line..... Just have fun!

Old March 7th 04, 07:36 PM
Dulcie

"Dan Brussee" wrote in message

Personally, I would suggest NOT looking for suspension. For an
inexpensive bike, it wont work well, and will weigh down the bike -
ultimately making the bike more difficult to ride.

What do you mean by 'inexpensive'? - about the price of the one I gave the
link for? What would I have to pay for a bike with reasonable suspension?

I would
suggest looking at your local bike shop instead of the discount stores
since even though you may pay a few dollars more, they will make sure
the bike fits and is tuned up for you while you learn the sport /
hobby of bike riding

I would do, but I have quite bad allergic type reactions to the
petrochemical rubber smell that always seems to permeate these shops. It
would be easier just to order one.

Below the bottom line..... Just have fun!

I hope I will!

Thanks
dulcie

Old March 7th 04, 09:16 PM
Dan Brussee

I have not seen any comfort bikes with suspension that is worth it's
extra weight. Remember, of course this is just my opinion. I know on a
mountain bike until you get into the 4 to 5 hundred dollar range, the
suspension is barely useful. I have Trek 4500 and the forks do ok, but
no great shakes.

As for the smelly bike shops, look around some more. The older shops
are definitely in that category around here too, but there are newer
shops around that are more customer oriented and are much cleaner - at
least up front

Where do you live? Maybe there are people who can make specific
suggestions on shops. By the way, depending on what level of riding
you are going to do, you might consider a lightweight cruiser style.
Definitely comfortable, but only for a relatively short ride (short
for people who typically haunt this group anyway). I doubt you would
enjoy the ride after 10 to 12 miles.

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 19:36:07 -0000, "Dulcie"
wrote:

.. .

Old March 8th 04, 11:21 AM
Dulcie

"Dan Brussee" wrote in message

but there are newer
shops around that are more customer oriented and are much cleaner - at
least up front

There are 2 bike shops round here, but both smell like a tyre factory..

Where do you live?

In the UK nr. Reading.

By the way, depending on what level of riding
you are going to do, you might consider a lightweight cruiser style.
Definitely comfortable, but only for a relatively short ride (short
for people who typically haunt this group anyway). I doubt you would
enjoy the ride after 10 to 12 miles.

How come they're more comfortable, but uncomfortable after 12 miles? I
assume they're lighter, so easier in that sense, but lack of suspension
means you get 'all shook up' after a while? :-)

Dulcie

Old March 8th 04, 01:41 PM
Dulcie

"David Kerber" wrote in message
The soft padding on a "comfort" saddle means that you sink into it,
which causes pressure on the blood vessels and nerves in that area (the
area away from your sit bones). AFter a while, that can cause numbness
and extreme discomfort which is not there when you first sit down.

Good tip - thanks

Old March 8th 04, 02:58 PM
Pbwalther

A petrochemical smell in bike shops? Hmm I guess my years of working in
laboratories with all sorts of organic solvents has left me inured to it. I
got to the point where I found the odor of some solvents definitely pleasant,
but I never indulged in sniffing them. I am not THAT stupid.

Quite a few things are sold as "comfort" bikes. I have even seen road bikes
marketed that way.

Personally, I would recommend a road bike if you think you may get involved in
cycling for anything more then very modest distances and if you have any
inclinations at all to performance. They are far more efficient and I think
more comfortable too. They can LOOK intimidating though. The thing is that
some people get bitten by the "bug" and end up riding far more and far farther
then they ever thought possible.

The thing is to look for a bike that fits you well. That is where a good bike
shop comes in. The people there should take some care and make sure that the
bike fits you. The brands are not that important. The components (the
deraillers, cranks, brakes, shifters etc) are pretty much all made by shimano
or campy. The brand is usually the company that makes the frame. At the same
price, the difference between brand A and brand B is the frame and they both
have the same stuff hanging on it. The 2 bikes might have a subtly different
ride but the difference is not profound. Shoot a good mechanic can make a
decent bike in a garage with the right tubing and a welding torch. Making a
decent frame is not that hard for a well capitalized company. Again, a good
bike shop will not carry anything there that is good.

I would just suggest giving road bikes a look and try test riding one if they
don't intimidate you too much.

I know, if I were starting out now, I would be attracted to hybrids and
"comfort" bikes also. I was just lucky, when I got in it was getting a road
bike or getting a road bike.

Old March 8th 04, 03:16 PM
Luigi de Guzman

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 11:21:34 -0000, "Dulcie"
wrote:

"Dan Brussee" wrote in message
.. .

but there are newer
shops around that are more customer oriented and are much cleaner - at
least up front

There are 2 bike shops round here, but both smell like a tyre factory..

There are probably more, and at least one of them won't smell.
Halfords' or Argos are unlikely to get you a bicycle you'll be happy
with, long-term. They are usually badly-assembled and much,much
heavier than quality bicycles. A quality bicycle, while costing a bit
more, is a lot more fun to ride.

More to the point, nobody will help fit you to a bike at Halfords' or
Argos. You order it and that's that. You are unlikely to continue
riding if you buy an ill-fitting bicycle. As a regular around here (a
shop owner) will undoubtedly tell you, the most expensive bicycle you
buy is the one you never use.

Remember that you'll probably be wanting mudguards and a lock as well,
at the very least. And lights, so budget for that.

How come they're more comfortable, but uncomfortable after 12 miles? I
assume they're lighter, so easier in that sense, but lack of suspension
means you get 'all shook up' after a while? :-)

You only get 'all shook up' if you're riding Roman roads, with
original cobbles, and two thousand years of ruts.

the tyres absorb most of the shock. remember you are also *riding*
the bicycle, not merely sitting on it--proper position on the bicycle
and a relaxed manner whilst riding will absorb shock as well. The
remainder isn't really anything to worry about.

As far as the big squidgy saddles go: avoid avoid avoid. If you're
only going a few hundred yards, they're fine. But as you start
building time in the saddle, you sink into the foam (think of what
happens when you've been on the sofa for a long time). At the start
of the ride, you are being supported by two bones on your pelvis. By
the end, you have sunk deep enough into the saddle to be supported by
the unprintable soft bits that usually have a great deal of nerve
endings to numb and/or irritate. Definitely *not* the best way to go.

Don't be suckered by claims that Aluminium is automatically 'lighter'
than steel or whatever. There are lots of variables at work here, of
which material is only one. Remember, which is heavier--a tonne of
feathers or a tonne of lead?

For further helpful and more locally-relevant advice, drop a post over
on uk.rec.cycling

you'll probably get specific shop information.

-Luigi

Old March 8th 04, 03:58 PM
Dulcie

building time in the saddle, you sink into the foam (think of what
happens when you've been on the sofa for a long time).

Oh yes!
Will avoid squidgy saddles.

Don't be suckered by claims that Aluminium is automatically 'lighter'
than steel or whatever. There are lots of variables at work here,

That had occurred to me, but w/out spending a lot of time in a bike shop
lifting bikes around it's going to be difficult to tell which might be
lighter - even then I'm not sure you'd notice unless there was a big
difference... perhaps there isn't these days I don't know.

For further helpful and more locally-relevant advice, drop a post over
on uk.rec.cycling

I'll take a look, thanks..

Dulcie

my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Advice on buying used road bike Michael S. Moorhead General 4 August 6th 03 04:06 AM
Advice on Buying a Schwinn Bike Garrison Hilliard General 4 August 4th 03 07:10 PM
Need advice re. buying bike Pat General 2 July 23rd 03 07:11 PM