Looking for light recommendations

Old July 17th 10, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joel Sanda[_2_]

Default Looking for light recommendations

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 20:23:43 -0600, Patrick Lamb
wrote:

I was pretty happy with my Cygolite Rover II; about $160 a couple
years ago, IIRC. Now I'm even happier with a dynamo hub and IQ Cyo R,
since I haven't forgotten to charge the battery since I got that
setup. But it's a bit over your price range.

Pat

I've read about those hubs, and saw one on a fellow commuter's bike. They
look *very* nice, but also very expensive. Though if I ever taco my front
wheel that'll open up a great opportunity to go to one of those hubs. I've
used a few lights that have the dynamo on a 'roller' that runs along the
tire, I'm guessing that's a skateboard to these Airstream hubs :-)

- joel

--
http://www.dwimordene.net
Old July 17th 10, 09:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
thirty-six

On 16 July, 03:06, "Joel Sanda" wrote:
Looking for some lighting recommendations. I commute about 20 miles a day, *
averaging probably 15 MPH. Neighborhood roads with stop signs most cars *
ignore, a few major intersections that are well lit, and some darker than *
dark bike paths. Not much need for a light in the morning but at night *
it's a 45 - 60 minute ride home in the dark.

I currently use a 3-LED handlebar mounted light that flashes and a fairly *
bright headlamp, which has dramatically reduced the number of near *
collisions as I can look into the cars that appear to be coasting through *
stop signs or making a left in front of me.

And I use two bikes - a touring bike most of the year but a mountain bike *
when there's snow on the ground.

So I'm looking for a light that's:

* Easy to take off both for security when I'm parked and swapping bikes
* Bright enough to make a difference over the $20 - $50 models I have been *
using
* Rechargeable batteries

I don't have much preference on weight or an external battery pack - I *
used a $175 Nightsun light about 15 years ago, which lasted about four *
years before the elements had it falling apart.

Any suggestions on decent lights under $200? I understand the lumen *
rating, but I'm also after experience in terms of how far the light is *
'thrown' ahead and the durability needed for use in rain, snow and lots of *
below freezing weather.

Thanks!

--http://www.dwimordene.net

The market is going to be different here(UK), but we can buy a pair of
el cheapo lights (front and back) with batteries for about £2. These
are absolutely great as marker ligths, and the handlebar mounted front
lights with absolutely atrocious optics do stop drivers emerging from
side roads, but there's no way on earth you will be safe riding a dark
path. The trick is to aim the cheap handlebar light directly to the
horizon. The uneven cast of light is to advantage in creating
sparkles that catch the drivers eye, it is also most useful to have
this light with as big a lens area as you can find because it is
easier to judge the closing distance from a large area rather than a
small area lens. For lighting the road surface it is best to use a
lower mount, ideally mid fork blade for a 27" and this needs to cast
an even light on the road/floor, not a wall. It really is best to
seperate the two functions of being seen and seeing the road because
the high level light is best to be seen by but is too high to make the
road surface readable, the best position for this (seeing the road) is
too low to be seen by by casual drivers. If you really want draw
attention to yourself, get a handlebar mounted wire basket and put a
rotating beacon in it. Amber/yellow seems to be the safest colour,
it is used for slow moving, stationary or recovery vehicles here and
is always used for roadside working.
Old July 18th 10, 02:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joel Sanda[_2_]

An earlier posted recommended Busch&Müller - tje Ixon IQ looks like a nice
light. The fork crown mount is also nice!

Thanks

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 05:33:48 -0600, Wolfgang Strobl
wrote:

During winter I'm using a Busch&Müller Lumotec IQ fly
http://www.mystrobl.de/Plone/radfahren/technik/komponenten/licht/P1050733.JPG
on one Bike, and an Busch&Müller Ixon IQ during summer

I'm using these lamps since 2007. Recommended.

http://www.bumm.de/docu/nojsmenu-e.htm
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m.asp

--
http://www.dwimordene.net
Old July 18th 10, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Patrick Lamb

wrote:
I was pretty happy with my Cygolite Rover II; about $160 a couple
years ago, IIRC. Now I'm even happier with a dynamo hub and IQ Cyo R,
since I haven't forgotten to charge the battery since I got that
setup. But it's a bit over your price range.

I've read about those hubs, and saw one on a fellow commuter's bike. They
look *very* nice, but also very expensive. Though if I ever taco my front
wheel that'll open up a great opportunity to go to one of those hubs. I've
used a few lights that have the dynamo on a 'roller' that runs along the
tire, I'm guessing that's a skateboard to these Airstream hubs :-)

Velo-orange has Shimano hubs built into wheels (sporatically) for
about $170 or so, so they're not _too_ bad. I'd love the German hubs,
but even I can't justify one of those!

Pat
Old July 18th 10, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joel Sanda[_2_]

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 13:39:19 -0600, Patrick Lamb
wrote:

Velo-orange has Shimano hubs built into wheels (sporatically) for
about $170 or so, so they're not _too_ bad. I'd love the German hubs,
but even I can't justify one of those!

Pat

Hmmmm. Last wheel I ever couldn't get fixed was on my Schwinn 10-speed
back in 1980, since then I've never (seriously knocking on wood as I write
this) had anything more than normal truing done. But if/when I need a new
wheel or rebuild I'll probably get one of those hubs.

--
http://www.dwimordene.net