Slow down rusting of chain

Old September 13th 18, 05:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default Slow down rusting of chain

On 12/09/18 03:20, Andy wrote:
I have been using a silicone spray on my chain, but it isn't long before it rusts.

Anything better?

What about about Squirt Long Lasting Dry Chain Lube ?

IME, for long term use, chain lube; the ones you heat and sooak it in.
anything else tends to wash off far quicker.

Old September 13th 18, 12:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Andy wrote:
On Wednesday, September 12, 2018 at 2:59:58 PM UTC-5, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Andy wrote:

I have been using a silicone spray on my
chain, but it isn't long before it rusts.

Anything better?

Use the bike?

Only after dumping any seriously rusted chain.

You are not funny.

This you should have told the crackpot who recommended silicone oil for your
chain.
Old September 13th 18, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

Andy wrote:

I have been using a silicone spray on my
chain, but it isn't long before it rusts.

Anything better?

Use the bike?

Only after dumping any seriously rusted chain.

You are not funny.

This you should have told the crackpot who recommended silicone oil for your
chain.

I am the one who came up with using silicone oil.

And there have been no bad effects from using it.

Andy
Old September 13th 18, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Andy wrote:

I have been using a silicone spray on my
chain, but it isn't long before it rusts.

Anything better?

Use the bike?

Only after dumping any seriously rusted chain.

You are not funny.

This you should have told the crackpot who recommended silicone oil for your
chain.

I am the one who came up with using silicone oil.

And there have been no bad effects from using it.

It washes off quickly in the rain -- as do spray-on Teflon lubricants. SMS would recommend OTC motorcycle chain lubricants with a foam carrier. Frank likes wax. This morning I used some ATB I had knocking around: https://www.bikegallery.com/product/...cant-10322.htm

I rode home last night in a torrential downpour. In one place, my pedals were under water. True Old Testament commute -- or the MidWest. Keeping any lubricant on the chain in that kind of weather is almost impossible.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 13th 18, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Andy wrote:

I have been using a silicone spray on my
chain, but it isn't long before it rusts.

Anything better?

Use the bike?

Only after dumping any seriously rusted chain.

You are not funny.

This you should have told the crackpot who recommended silicone oil for your
chain.

I am the one who came up with using silicone oil.

And there have been no bad effects from using it.

Andy

no bad effects YET!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEQ_xPWm-Mc

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 13th 18, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, 13 September 2018 14:58:42 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
Snipped

no bad effects YET!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEQ_xPWm-Mc

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Heck with that. Check out the video "Super Fast!!" that comes up at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVbwngNoHm0

I wonder what rpm they're pedaling at? The guy standing moves about whilst the guys are spinning and therefore you know that video wasn't just sped up.

Cheers
Old September 13th 18, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

jbeattie wrote:

:I rode home last night in a torrential downpour. In one place, my pedals were under water. True Old Testament commute -- or the MidWest. Keeping any lubricant on the chain in that kind of weather is almost impossible.

This was my commute about a month ago:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DkB69POWsAA--a-.jpg

If both pedals aren't subrmerged at the same time, it's not
torrential.

--
sig 14
Old September 13th 18, 09:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Earls61

LPS 3 works well. It is applied as liquid and then solidifies, like a wax. It is petroleum based, anti-corrosion compound.
Old September 13th 18, 09:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Andy wrote:

Use the bike?

You are not funny.

How about this one: According to the map, we
are completely lost!

Heck, I don't know what to use. I never had
this problem. I use chainsaw oil, before that
hydraulic oil. I use the bike every day, and
I keep it outside 24/7/365+1, without any
protection from rain/snow.

But if I know there has been a rainfall,
I re-lube the chain. Other than that I lube it
when I hear a suspect noise, or once every two
or three weeks or so.

Never ever do I see any rust on the chain, so
you, or anyone else for that matter tell me,
why you suffer from this problem and I don't.

It might have something to do with the
particular chain as well; mine is a KMC Z8RB.
I think it is intended for 8 piece casettes,
but it works fine for my 5 piece
Shimano Positron.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old September 13th 18, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Andy wrote:

I have been using a silicone spray on my
chain, but it isn't long before it rusts.

Anything better?

Use the bike?

Only after dumping any seriously rusted chain.

You are not funny.

This you should have told the crackpot who recommended silicone oil for your
chain.

I am the one who came up with using silicone oil.

And there have been no bad effects from using it.

Except "it isn't long before it rusts"

--
JS

De-rusting Bike Seat-Post Veganeric Techniques 13 March 3rd 10 07:58 PM
de-rusting bike chains & sprockets? Ablang Techniques 9 July 29th 08 03:18 AM
Rusting spokes BigBen Techniques 5 August 4th 06 03:22 AM
Rusting on a new bike Dave B UK 15 October 13th 05 09:25 PM
Crank rusting... andrew_carter Unicycling 5 December 15th 03 11:05 PM