Sheffield stands

Old June 25th 04, 10:10 AM
Colin Blackburn

Default Sheffield stands

Does anyone know of a source of 'domestic' Sheffield stands. I'm after a
couple that can be bolted to a concrete floor. It's either that or wall
hangers with anchor points. We have the space for the bikes to be stored
on the floor so Sheffield stands would be more convenient if they weren't
too expensive.

Colin
Old June 25th 04, 10:31 AM
Roos Eisma

"Colin Blackburn" writes:

Does anyone know of a source of 'domestic' Sheffield stands. I'm after a
couple that can be bolted to a concrete floor. It's either that or wall
hangers with anchor points. We have the space for the bikes to be stored
on the floor so Sheffield stands would be more convenient if they weren't
too expensive.

What is 'too expensive'? And does it have to be a Sheffield stand?

For example something like this:
http://www.epowershop.nl/nl/dept_112.html

35 euros for 3 bikes, it says it is shipped in a flat box.

Roos
Old June 25th 04, 10:36 AM
elyob

"Roos Eisma" wrote in message

For example something like this:
http://www.epowershop.nl/nl/dept_112.html

35 euros for 3 bikes, it says it is shipped in a flat box.

You return to find your front wheel safe and sound ......

Old June 25th 04, 10:39 AM
Colin Blackburn

On 25 Jun 2004 09:31:29 GMT, Roos Eisma wrote:

What is 'too expensive'? And does it have to be a Sheffield stand?

How long is that string? No...

For example something like this:
http://www.epowershop.nl/nl/dept_112.html

....but, I'm looking for something I can easily lock the frame to with
existing U-locks so I have discounted stands like the above, as neat as
they are.

Something like that with ground anchors would probably work but then the
anchors would have to be positioned for each bike or I'd have to look at
other locking options, like a heavy duty chain along the ground. I'm
trying for security and convenience.

Colin
Old June 25th 04, 10:46 AM
Roos Eisma

"elyob" writes:

You return to find your front wheel safe and sound ......

I though he was talking indoors... our bikes are not locked inside the
garage. I suppose (or hope!) we don't live in a high crime area....

(for any bike thief reading this: they are actually bolted to the floor
and the garage is patrolled by fierce dobermans!)

Roos
Old June 25th 04, 10:48 AM
Peter Clinch

elyob wrote:

You return to find your front wheel safe and sound ......

So park the other way around, which puts the top of the loop in the
right place to go through both frame and back wheel. With a Sheffield
you'll need a second lock for your front wheel in any case, so you're
not really any worse off from that POV.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old June 25th 04, 11:03 AM
Tony Raven

Roos Eisma wrote:
"Colin Blackburn" writes:

Does anyone know of a source of 'domestic' Sheffield stands. I'm after a
couple that can be bolted to a concrete floor. It's either that or wall
hangers with anchor points. We have the space for the bikes to be stored
on the floor so Sheffield stands would be more convenient if they weren't
too expensive.

What is 'too expensive'? And does it have to be a Sheffield stand?

For example something like this:
http://www.epowershop.nl/nl/dept_112.html

35 euros for 3 bikes, it says it is shipped in a flat box.

Roos

You'd be through those loops in a few seconds with a decent cutter. Fine for
keeping the bike up but no use for security.

Have a look at
http://www.sekura-byk.co.uk/frm_stand.htm
http://www.cycle-works.com
http://www.dixonbate.co.uk/html/cycle_security.htm
http://www.freedomcity.com/

Tony

Old June 25th 04, 11:24 AM
Peter Clinch

Roos Eisma wrote:

(for any bike thief reading this: they are actually bolted to the floor
and the garage is patrolled by fierce dobermans!)

Not any more... Fang stepped on one of the mines and Killer fell prey to
the tigers ;-/

Pete.

Old June 25th 04, 11:26 AM
Graeme

"Colin Blackburn" wrote in
news
Does anyone know of a source of 'domestic' Sheffield stands. I'm after
a couple that can be bolted to a concrete floor. It's either that or
wall hangers with anchor points.

Try the wall hangers with a single, serious heavy duty chain and lock
through all the frames. A variation on that used to work at an outdoor
centre I helped out at. They just used a thin cable, but a chain would be
fine.

Graeme
Old June 25th 04, 12:42 PM
Colin Blackburn

On 25 Jun 2004 09:46:21 GMT, Roos Eisma wrote:

"elyob" writes:

You return to find your front wheel safe and sound ......

I though he was talking indoors... our bikes are not locked inside the
garage. I suppose (or hope!) we don't live in a high crime area....

I am talking about indoors and we also live in a lowish crime area.
However, we live very remotely and during the working day anyone getting
into the workshop would have carte blanche to take everything. For that
reason I'd just like something beyond the lock on the door, if only for
the insurance company. Also, my better half doesn't fancy lifting her bike
off the wall if possible. As we have the space, Sheffield stands seem to
offer convenience (the bikes are currently piled against each other with
all the U locks interconnecting so it's a faff getting one out) as well as
some additional security. The downside is that the workshop also contains
lots of tools including an angle grinder! (I might store that in a
different building.) The upside is that anyone who can work out how to
turn our electricity on to use the thing is more than welcome to the
bikes!!

(Thanks for the links Tony, I think two of the 40 quid ones are a
possibility)

Colin

Work stands Doki UK 11 July 22nd 04 10:22 AM
Sheffield Convention. onewheeldave Unicycling 3 January 21st 04 11:16 PM
Sheffield cycle racks bob UK 8 October 31st 03 08:22 PM
Bike Repair Stands Ed General 22 September 10th 03 10:52 PM