Specialized Crossroads: Worth Restoring??

Old September 24th 03, 06:14 AM
Eric S. Sande

Default Specialized Crossroads: Worth Restoring??

Would appreciate any opinions on the expense/ value of restoring vs.
the expense of just buying a new bicycle.

"Restoring" is probably not worth it if by that you mean original
showroom condition, which is what restoring usually means.

Getting it on the road again is a much easier task and is probably
worth the effort. You might be surprised at how easily this can
be done, if the bike is not too beat out in terms of mileage.

A simple relube, adjustment, maybe recabling, etc. can easily be
done which results in a very rideable bike.

You can do it yourself if you have a modicum of skill, your
LBS can give you a better opinion and a price to do it otherwise.

JMHO.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old September 24th 03, 06:31 AM
Zoot Katz

Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:39:37 -0700,
, "ohberg"
wrote:

Would appreciate any opinions on the expense/ value of restoring vs.
the expense of just buying a new bicycle. Thanks.

Fix it up, ride it and then buy a new bike so you'll have two bikes.
That old Crossroads is probably a good all-rounder or utility bike.
Besides, it's hard to justify buying a new bike when you don't even
use the old one.
--
zk
Old September 24th 03, 07:39 AM
ohberg

I have a very neglected Specialized Crossroads. The frame has a few very
small rust spots on it, and everything else is in need of "tune-up"
attention (possibly overhaul). It has been sitting in the shed for a few
years. Would appreciate any opinions on the expense/ value of restoring vs.
the expense of just buying a new bicycle. Thanks.

Old September 25th 03, 03:19 AM
David760

I've got an old crossroads and I've always been impressed with the
quality and sturdiness of this bike. I really love to ride it. It's made
with enough quality to make the restoration worthwhile.