Making a College bike Inconspicuous?

Old September 7th 05, 08:58 PM
Tom Nakashima

Default Making a College bike Inconspicuous?

My son enters college this fall, so I put together a bike for him by
salvaging spare components and a frame that I wasn't using. Suggestions on
making the bike inconspicuous?
Maybe disguising the bike isn't worth the effort for today's thieves?
Suggestions from college students.
-tom

Old September 7th 05, 09:10 PM
John Henderson

Tom Nakashima wrote:

My son enters college this fall, so I put together a bike for
him by salvaging spare components and a frame that I wasn't
using. Suggestions on making the bike inconspicuous?
Maybe disguising the bike isn't worth the effort for today's
thieves? Suggestions from college students.

I once painted my best bike canary yellow to avoid theft. It
certainly gets no admiring looks.

John
Old September 8th 05, 03:15 AM
Colin Campbell

John Henderson wrote:

Tom Nakashima wrote:

My son enters college this fall, so I put together a bike for
him by salvaging spare components and a frame that I wasn't
using. Suggestions on making the bike inconspicuous?
Maybe disguising the bike isn't worth the effort for today's
thieves? Suggestions from college students.

I once painted my best bike canary yellow to avoid theft. It
certainly gets no admiring looks.

John

Cripes! I had a Medici that was the brightest yellow Simonetti could
put on it, with red decals. I loved it, and at least one other person
(the buyer) liked it, too.

I still have seller's regret, because for some reason, that was the
fastest bike I've owned.
Old September 7th 05, 10:17 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Tom Nakashima wrote:
My son enters college this fall, so I put together a bike for him by
salvaging spare components and a frame that I wasn't using.
Suggestions on making the bike inconspicuous?
Maybe disguising the bike isn't worth the effort for today's thieves?
Suggestions from college students.
-tom

Yay! I'm an expert on this. Okay so here are my ten steps to a theft-proof
bike:

1. Spraypaint... the cheaper the better. Spray the whole bike frame and
make sure to spraypaint the tires and grips, too. It makes it look like the
owner is really dumb. Put some scratches in the paint so it doesn't look so
cherry. This should be easy to do since the spraypaint will probably just
flake off just by you looking at it funny.

2. Stickers! Get so many stickers that you're almost inhaling them. Get
them from your local radio station. The flashier the better. Apply
stickers to everything on the bike, especially the frame. Make sure to do
the saddle, too.

3. Duct tape! Put random duct tape bits so that they look like they're
actually trying to hold something together. Tape the saddle, too... this
makes the bike really cry out "I am a ****bomb!"

4. Cover up any and all brand names and models.

5. Put a crappy, broken, bent rack on the back for ultra-nerd factor. Add
rusty fenders and baskets to taste. Nobody wants a dorky bike.

6. Attach as many broken reflectors and light mounts as you can on the
handlebars, seatpost and seatstays. These will make it seem like the owner
keeps breaking lights, buying new ones, and never getting rid of the old
mounts.

7. Place tennis balls and cards in the spokes, and of course bar plugs with
streamers coming out. That might scare off even the seasoned thieves.

8. Apply the biggest, most gaudy bell... no wait, horn... on the bike...
something like this Barbie Deluxe Bicycle Horn:
http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/...resized200.jpg
Tell your son to honk it within 100 feet of any human or animal.

9. If you want to go overboard, find a cosmetically rusty chain and cassette
and put those on.

10. Lock up the bike with both a non-pickable u-lock and a cable lock!

If his bike gets stolen, I'll be impressed.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old September 7th 05, 11:21 PM
BobT

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote in
message news:80JTe.11408$Cc5.545@lakeread06...
Yay! I'm an expert on this.

Your ingenuity definitely qualifies you as an expert! I particulary liked
the Barbie horn suggestion.

BobT

Old September 8th 05, 05:36 AM
meb

BobT Wrote:
"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote
in
message news:80JTe.11408$Cc5.545@lakeread06...
Yay! I'm an expert on this.

Your ingenuity definitely qualifies you as an expert! I particulary
liked
the Barbie horn suggestion.

BobT

I bought one of those for my daughter when she was two. She still
loves it at 3 and I'm not sure that is the cornerstone to making the
bike theft proof.

--
meb

Old September 8th 05, 02:37 AM
Jim Flom

Tom Nakashima wrote:
My son enters college this fall, so I put together a bike for him by
salvaging spare components and a frame that I wasn't using.
Suggestions on making the bike inconspicuous?
Maybe disguising the bike isn't worth the effort for today's thieves?
Suggestions from college students.
-tom

Yay! I'm an expert on this. Okay so here are my ten steps to a
theft-proof bike:

I have to say I AM impressed Phil, Squid in Training. I hope this makes it
into the FAQs.

--
I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I know: the only ones
among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found

http://spaces.msn.com/members/flomblog/

Old September 8th 05, 05:39 AM
meb

http://tinyurl.com/9s4m7
Tell your son to honk it within 100 feet of any human or animal.

9. If you want to go overboard, find a cosmetically rusty chain and
cassette
and put those on.

10. Lock up the bike with both a non-pickable u-lock and a cable
lock!

If his bike gets stolen, I'll be impressed.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

This would look mighty conspicuous to me.

--
meb

Old September 8th 05, 02:06 PM
Tom Nakashima

Tom Nakashima wrote:
[...]

Well I'll have to say I'm very impressed with your suggestions, you can make
Letterman with your top 10 list.
-tom

Old September 8th 05, 04:51 PM
41

Tom Nakashima wrote:
[...]

We should not have to go to such extremes and to ride garbage. What
would car owners say if that's what they had to do to their cars,
simply to make them workable transportation devices?

As I said in another thread: the real key is not the lock but the rack.
There are several manufacturers who make racks consisting of two large
steel horizontal arms with steel projections, the arms closing around
the bike, the projections going through the wheels and main triangle.
You then use only a padlock to lock the two arms together, inside a
shielded housing that can only be accessed from the bottom, near ground
level, or else a U-lock to keep the two arms together. You need only
carry a reasonable padlock for very high security.

[I just did a search to find a manufacturer of these things. No luck
yet. I have seen at least three different brands though. Will try to
find a manufacturer's label on one of them.]

Furthermore, what's necessary is to make bicycle theft the same crime
as auto theft, and to install video surveillance at key locations, to
mop up the organized crime gangs who are responsible for so much of it.

There IS a solution and like so much else it just involves a few people
in the right places getting off their asses.