Helment Damage.

Old April 16th 05, 02:04 AM
Evan Byrne

Default Helment Damage.

Well i crashed on my coker aobut 5 days ago, i was fine just a little
scraped up, well today i looked at my helment and noticed what i actuly
did to it in the crash...

| Attachment filename: helmet 002.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/299869|

Evan Byrne

Do you ride unis for the fun and ease of it, Or the challenge?
Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

Old April 16th 05, 02:04 AM
Evan Byrne

Old April 16th 05, 02:09 AM
James_Potter

oooh, impressive! now imagine that's your head in the picture because
you weren't wearing a helmet.... any questions?

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

Old April 18th 05, 06:54 PM
jim.furfaro

I thought I would add some more fuel to the fire on the helmet debate.
I have included a graph on impact survival experience from NASA-STD
3000. One point that you should note is that a head impact from a
standing position (no added riding velocity) is on the edge of
survivability. This assumes that the person's head is the first thing
to hit the ground and the ground did not absorb any of the impact
(concrete). Hope this helps with your debate.

| Attachment filename: impact.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/300643|

jim.furfaro - Rocket Scientist

Earth - Moon - Mars: Challange Traditions, Continue the American
Adventure
jim.furfaro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7261

Old April 18th 05, 07:33 PM
U-Turn

maestro8 wrote:
*Why would one compare the size and mass of a helmet to that of the
human body? Last time I checked, most people wore helmets just on
their head.*

Because a poster above was talking about center of mass. The COM of a
person would be essentially unchanged by adding a helmet. As far as
size goes, the size of the body compared with the size of the helmet
means that the helmet is way less than 1% of the volumetric footprint of
the body. So as far as an accident goes, the size of a person is
unaffected by a helmet. Therefore, the class of accidents is unchanged
by the addition or deletion of a helmet.

*Which engineer are you talking about? Yourself? *

Yup.

*I would have a problem making such a statement. There are 1,001 ways
to smash a helmet, and 1,001 ways to smash your head, but the two
events are not 100% correlated.
*

Why do you think 100% correlation is required? If a helmet saves death
or injury in a reasonable subset of accidents (it does), then it is
worth wearing.

--
U-Turn - As long as my feet keep movin'...

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

Old April 16th 05, 02:26 AM
Evan Byrne

sorry i spelt helmet wrong, my mom wanted me to ge the comp

Old April 16th 05, 03:56 AM
tholub

James_Potter wrote:
*oooh, impressive! now imagine that's your head in the picture because
you weren't wearing a helmet.... any questions? *

Let's be realistic; a helmet sticks out way further in back than your
head does, and it raises the rotational center of gravity while adding
weight. So the fact that you hit your helmet, especially on the back
point like that, is not at all proof that you would have hit your head
were you not wearing a helmet.

--
tholub - Kinetic Sculptor

Old April 16th 05, 04:24 AM
unidad

tholub wrote:
*Let's be realistic; a helmet sticks out way further in back than your
head does, and it raises the rotational center of gravity while adding
weight. So the fact that you hit your helmet, especially on the back
point like that, is not at all proof that you would have hit your head
were you not wearing a helmet. *

Nasty roadrash story! Helmet saved life moral. Elite credintials.
Personal attack.

--
unidad - level 3 and climbing!

Momma says this is a waste of time.
So who wants to go uni?
unidad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8151

Old April 17th 05, 06:00 AM
munipsycho

Let's face it. There are just too few candidates for the Darwin awards
lately.

So if anyone doesn't want to wear a helmet, I say fine. Let 'em wear a
ziplock baggy full of pudding if they want. Or not.

In either case, it will be all in good clean fun when we pass the
entertaining story of their death around via email next year.

Thanks in advance for the laugh.

BTW, can I have some of your stuff? Your Uni? Or maybe the unused
helmet? Any unopened pudding at least?

--
munipsycho - CrashTestDummies are us.

=====================
The UniSkills Assessment: www.munipsycho.com/uniskills_2.jsp

I can fly too. But I can only fly down.
-Little Bear

Imagine all the people
Riding on one wheel.
J. Lennon. (paraphrased)
munipsycho's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9589

Old April 17th 05, 11:20 AM
munimanpete

What I want to know is why he only noticed the helmet damage -five- days
after the crash...

--
munimanpete - the unicycling kiwi

WWW.MUNIMAN.2YA.COM