durability of Mavic MA3s?

Old August 8th 05, 09:26 PM
41

Default durability of Mavic MA3s?

Hank Wirtz wrote:
"41" wrote in message
oups.com...

If the are the same, what happened that there was a Torelli Master
"tight fit" problem which was described in a recent thread here? That
would mean a goof at Ambrosio in cutting the stock to the right length.
Does your builder know if this was corrected?

In SpoCalc, though, it mentions 2 different ERDs for Torelli Masters. Before
& After, maybe?

I don't think so, not exactly. Torelli Masters were originally like
Ambrosio Excellence, then they switched to the new profile which is
that of the MA2. I believe it was the latter that people here
complained about but I can't be sure.

Old August 9th 05, 05:03 AM
41

Andy Heninger wrote:

The OD of the MA-2 is actually slightly larger than the master,
eyeballed just now with the rims set on top of each other (the MA2 is
unbuilt, making this easy to do.)

The inner diameter of the master is a fair bit smaller than that of the
MA-2 - the Torelli is quite a bit deeper, and somewhat narrower, 19 vs
20.5mm, again, measurements made just now. I have no idea what the
specs say.

You have the old Master, which had the profile of the Ambrosio
Excellence.

The Torelli will not take nearly the spoke tension that an MA-2 will.
Found by experience.

Interesting. I suppose that means the walls were thinner because from
the profile I would have guessed the more aero old Master would have
been able to take more.

If the new Torelli is a clone of the MA-2, that would indeed be good news.

Yes and no. The "new" Torelli is now "old" in the sense of being
discontinued. The Ambrosio Nexus now has that profile, the only
difference is that it is silver anodized like later MA2s, not polished
like I believe the old Torelli's (both types) and the old MA2s were.
But I have only seen it available online in the UK and only in the
black CD finish.

Regrettably, I suppose we have to admit that such a rim is now a niche
product. Racers would prefer something more aero except on climbs,
where they can now get something lighter. Poseurs wouldn't want them
because the racers wouldn't be using them. Tourers have heavier rims
marketed for them. Not racer, not poseur, not superheavyweight tourer =
niche.

Old August 9th 05, 02:16 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Hank Wirtz wrote:

1) that not only are they similar to the MA2s, they're actually extruded
from the old MA2 dies, in France. The straight stock is shipped to
Italy, where Ambrosio rolls them.

Not true, the profile of the two is much different.

2)when his stock of Torellis runs out, he plans on switching to the
Ambrosio Nexus, so apparently, he's confident he can get them.

I dunno, his website is http://www.rideyourbike.com - He doesn't do
built wheels via mail order, but does do some mail order of parts. Maybe
he can get you the rims, or maybe he can point you to his distributor.

-Hank

Old August 10th 05, 05:31 PM
Hank Wirtz

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hank Wirtz wrote:

1) that not only are they similar to the MA2s, they're actually extruded
from the old MA2 dies, in France. The straight stock is shipped to
Italy, where Ambrosio rolls them.

Not true, the profile of the two is much different.

Are you talking about the first generation Masters? Those were semi-aero and
yes, were much different. The second-generation ones were low-profile and
had the same dimensions, as Jobst pointed out when he compared his MA2
cross-section cutting to the specs on Torelli.com.