Why aren't disabled cyclists treated the same as disabled motorists?

Old June 11th 08, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Guy Ballantine

Default Why aren't disabled cyclists treated the same as disabled motorists?

I'm not sure of why you want to discuss the differences of a disabled
cyclist or motorist and quote incorrect information. I am disabled, have a
Motability vehicle and ride a handcycle for exercise so I am a disabled
driver AND a disabled cyclist.

In your first paragraph you say that cyclists are banned from areas that a
wheelchair can go. Like where?unless you mean it being a unsafe to ride
around a small shop on you bicycle where a wheelchair would be more
manoeuvrable.

The information on Motabiliy is mostly correct, but what is wrong with
paying a small deposit when starting a lease on a car, I do it every three
years and gain a massive benefit from having 3 years costs free motoring
(not counting the ridicules price of unleaded).

Personally I love being able to drive around in my car but baulk at the high
cost of a fuel which for me, should not be considered a VAT product as it is
a necessity to get me and my wheelchair/ handcyles around to shopping and
other places that I need to go to, but I can't use my handcycle to do the
same tasks as shopping as it is not designed as a mull but a recreational
device

--
OJ
http://oliverguyjones.blogspot.com/

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.
Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)

Old June 11th 08, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Guy Ballantine

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:58:51 -0700 (PDT), Nuxx Bar
said in
:

Perhaps because the car is
a proper, necessary, useful form of transport that disabled people
actually want to, and are able to, use (how many disabled cyclists do
*you* see)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handcycle

Ah see that you have found the a picture of my old mate, Geoff Marshall and
his Top End Gold. There are more of us out there, I have not met anyone else
riding a handcyle around London although I do get people I know saying they
have see someone here or there. I have see a Columbian guy with one leg
riding around the Finsbury Park area, that has to be fun at the lights!

Old June 11th 08, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:17:10 +0100, "Guy Ballantine"
said in
:

Ah see that you have found the a picture of my old mate, Geoff Marshall and
his Top End Gold.

I uploaded it myself :-)

Are you any relation to Richard?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old June 12th 08, 04:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:11:21 +0100
"Guy Ballantine" wrote:

In your first paragraph you say that cyclists are banned from areas
that a wheelchair can go. Like where?

Pedestrianised shopping areas.

Old June 12th 08, 07:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alan Braggins

In article , Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On 11 Jun 2008 22:17:23 +0100 (BST),
(Alan Braggins) said in
:

Not long ago I saw someone with one leg riding a Brompton.

What was the other leg riding?

I've no idea - only the one attached to his body was in sight :-)
(See also
http://xkcd.com/191/ (though it's a bit unfair).)
Old June 12th 08, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_4_]

Rob Morley wrote:

"Guy Ballantine" wrote:

In your first paragraph you say that cyclists are banned from areas
that a wheelchair can go. Like where?

Pedestrianised shopping areas.

True.

And the interiors of shops and supermarkets. And the end of the row in a
theatre or cinema. And railway platforms (believe it or not, but someone
recently suggested that cyclists should be allowed to cycle along the
platforms!).
Old June 12th 08, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark McNeill[_2_]

Response to Alan Braggins
Not long ago I saw someone with one leg riding a Brompton.

What was the other leg riding?

I've no idea - only the one attached to his body was in sight :-)
(See also http://xkcd.com/191/ (though it's a bit unfair).)

Going ever-so-slightly OT, hitting RANDOM got me

http://xkcd.com/346/

which made me laugh till it hurt, which is pretty good going after only
one coffee.

--
Mark, UK
"Aristotle maintained that women have fewer teeth than men; although he
Old June 12th 08, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

In ,
Alan Braggins tweaked the Babbage-Engine to
tell us:

Not long ago I saw someone with one leg riding a Brompton. (He had
crutches strapped to it, and the pedal had a wooden block on the
underside
and a toeclip so he could lift it to "ratchet" the crank, but I'm
still
not sure exactly how he set off.)

One Kevin Hickman has but one leg, yet has still managed an SR series on a
normal bike. I met him on last year's Cheddar Gorge 300, where he proved
embarrassingly faster up hills with a single leg than I could manage with
two.

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old June 12th 08, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

In . uk,
Guy Ballantine tweaked the Babbage-Engine
to tell us:

I do get people I know saying they
have see someone here or there. I
have see a Columbian guy with one leg
riding around the Finsbury Park area,
that has to be fun at the lights!

His name is Robinson Martinez and he turned up at a BHPC race meeting at
Eastway in 2006. He averaged 18.6 mph for just over 3/4 of an hour, which
netted him 26th place overall in a field of 55.

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk
Murdock's Gardening Law: If it's green, the paving isn't
finished yet.

Old June 12th 08, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Dave Larrington wrote:
In . uk,
Guy Ballantine tweaked the Babbage-Engine
to tell us:

I do get people I know saying they
have see someone here or there. I
have see a Columbian guy with one leg
riding around the Finsbury Park area,
that has to be fun at the lights!

His name is Robinson Martinez and he turned up at a BHPC race meeting at
Eastway in 2006. He averaged 18.6 mph for just over 3/4 of an hour, which
netted him 26th place overall in a field of 55.

Jamie Andrew lost both legs below the knee from frostbite after a
climbing trip went pear shaped. He did a charity fundraiser last year
where he did a personal triathlon of iron Man distances in under 24
hours (so a 112 mile bike ride in there, and he doesn't have any hands
any more either...)
http://www.jamieandrew.com/content/view/49/40/

He still climbs, and harder than me!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK