Chainring grinding service (creation of chainring guards for cyclocross and single speed use)

Old July 25th 05, 07:15 PM
Donald Gillies

Default Chainring grinding service (creation of chainring guards for cyclocross and single speed use)

Werehatrack writes:

Thermite is nasty stuff. A soda can full of it placed on the hood of
a car and ignited will melt its way *through* the engine. When it
hits the oil pan, things get really interesting.

I presume you speak from personal experience?

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old July 27th 05, 11:32 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 07:24:44 GMT, Werehatrack
wrote:

Thermite is nasty stuff. A soda can full of it placed on the hood of
a car and ignited will melt its way *through* the engine. When it
hits the oil pan, things get really interesting.

You sound like you speak from experience.

Jasper
Old July 28th 05, 02:44 AM

A Muzi wrote:
RobCam wrote:

OK - So I don't have a grinder. Does anyone know of a place that will
do this for a fee? Seems like a good money making scheme for someone.
At $30+ for new chainring guards, a price of $20 per ring mod would be
great. Shipping wouldn't be much. Any takers?

Most chainrings are aluminum, not steel. Aluminum won't burn
on a grindwheel and in fact trying that may be unsafe as
aluminum or brass can load up on the wheel and cause
catastrophic failure. (pieces of stone flying out from 1760
rpm). I have never seen that happen but it's mentioned in
two machining texts.

If you want to trim a chainring, try a file. It shouldn't
take long. I'll gladly file your teeth away for $20!!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old August 10th 05, 04:05 AM
John Thompson

On 2005-07-25, Werehatrack wrote:

Thermite is nasty stuff. A soda can full of it placed on the hood of
a car and ignited will melt its way *through* the engine. When it
hits the oil pan, things get really interesting.

Yup. Back in the days when oxy/acetylene wasn't readily available, they
used it for butt welding e.g. railroad tracks in remote areas.

--

John )