8spd mtb cassette on 7spd freehub?

Old August 14th 03, 12:26 AM
hippy

Default 8spd mtb cassette on 7spd freehub?

Will an 8 speed Acera/Alivio cassette
fit onto a 7 speed AceraX freehub?
i.e. is it not too wide?

Forgetting the width for a second, will
a single cog from the 8spd cassette fit
onto the freehub?
i.e. Do the "bumps and grooves" on
the inside of the 8spd cog match those
on the outside of the 7spd freehub?

Has the bottom bracket size changed
from the AceraX groupset to the
Acera/Alivio groupset?
I think ~1996 Shimano versus 2000.

cheers
hippy

Old August 14th 03, 11:42 PM
Maurie Abbott

Sheldon Brown has a lot of stuff on his site about cassettes
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

Spacing and cog width is covered for many options.

Regards, Maurie
=================================

Old August 15th 03, 11:00 AM
James Thomson

"hippy" wrote:

Will an 8 speed Acera/Alivio cassette
fit onto a 7 speed AceraX freehub?
i.e. is it not too wide?

No, it's too wide, so it won't fit. Eight sprockets from a 9-speed cassette
will fit perfectly, but an eight speed cassette will overhang the end of
the freehub. Seven eighths of an 8-speed cassette will also fit, but you
may need to use a thin spacer to allow the lockring to engage properly.

Forgetting the width for a second, will
a single cog from the 8spd cassette fit
onto the freehub?
i.e. Do the "bumps and grooves" on
the inside of the 8spd cog match those
on the outside of the 7spd freehub?

Yes. The spline pattern is common to nearly all Shimano hubs made in the
last dozen years, 7-, 8-, or 9-speed.

Has the bottom bracket size changed
from the AceraX groupset to the
Acera/Alivio groupset?
I think ~1996 Shimano versus 2000.

Sorry, I don't know.

James Thomson

Old August 18th 03, 01:03 PM
MSeries

Check out Sheldon Brown pages, you may be able to transplant the
freehub body to an eight, you may also need to adjust the frame for the
extra clearance. I transplanted a 7speed Uniglide body for 7 speed
hyperglide one recently. Not a difficult job for one who is happy
weilding large wrenches. I have often replaced single sprockets on my
1989 7-speed cassette with new ones which I presume are aimed at 8 or
nine speed cassettes. I intend to do what the other poster said, that
is fit 8 of the nine sprockets from a 9 speed cassette, use a nine
speed chain and shifter. I have already checked and 8 from 9 will fit
onto a 7 speed body and my frame (126mm drop out spacing) will
accommodate it. I have the advantage then of cross compatibilty with my
1999 Ultegra 9 speed bike.