Singlespeed GT (again)

Old August 17th 03, 01:40 PM
hippy

Default Singlespeed GT (again)

"Dave@fnq" wrote in message
I only rode them to and from work on the road and short trips into the

city
(a bonus for me was that they had rigid forks).

Same here, at least until I get better chain tension for off-road use.
Dropped
chain 5 times riding the 52k return trip to work on Sat. Not bad, but no
good
for off-road use.

Here it is:
http://www.openwindows.com.au/hippy/...gtss/index.htm

I didn't have enough spacers so there are still sprockets on the back, but
they
are unusable - purely for spacing until i find some more dead cassettes to
pull
apart. Brakes need some tweaking too as well as the general riding position.
I'll get there...

Maybe I should have tried them off-road, but I thought I might be too soft
for a rigid single speed after riding a geared duelly for so long! :-)
The first thing that struck me on the first ride was how quiet it was! You
don't realise how noisy a geared bike can be.

Mine is pretty quiet except for the pedals. They have no bearings in them,
I'm sure! But hey, they were free from my LBS (along with the cranks and
cassette for the rear sprocket) so I no complain! ;-)
I'm going to replace the chain and the chainring with new ones so that
should
up the tension a little bit as well as making it quieter/smoother with
ramp-less
teeth.

The next thing was I kept going to change gears every time I got near a

hill
(up and down).

Well, I was riding my 24spd HT to and from work without changing gears
so I think I will manage when there are no gears to change! :-)
I was practicing SS riding to see which gear ratio I liked.

With all this talk of single speeds I might change my hard tail into one!
(also a GT).

Do it! You know you want to! ;-)

Just to let anyone reading this thread know.. the SingleSpeed World
Championships are being held in Castlemaine, Victoria in November
this year.
See: http://www.atomic-industries.com

hippy

Old August 18th 03, 11:07 AM
Dave@fnq

snippity snip .................

With all this talk of single speeds I might change my hard tail into

one!
(also a GT).

Do it! You know you want to! ;-)

I bought a stem off ebay to go with my rear hub (screw-on), which was going
to be the basis of a new SS.
When I got the stem I found out it was a 1" not 1 1/8 (bugger).
So what do I do? sell the 1" stem or buy a frame with a 1" headtube?
The stem is a brand new never used Ringle` (red anno too), got it for $15!
I think I gotta find a cheaper hobby/ sport :-)

Dave

Old August 18th 03, 02:29 PM
hippy

"Dave@fnq" wrote in message
I bought a stem off ebay to go with my rear hub (screw-on), which was

going
to be the basis of a new SS.
When I got the stem I found out it was a 1" not 1 1/8 (bugger).

I think the GT uses a 1" steerer.. it's certainly not Aheadset lookin'.

So what do I do? sell the 1" stem or buy a frame with a 1" headtube?

I'd sell the stem, unless you can find a free frame with 1" headtube. No
point
_buying_ old stuff is there (ok, sometimes there is but I'd go for 1 1/8th).

The stem is a brand new never used Ringle` (red anno too), got it for $15!

I could buy it off you.. yeah, it'd be a big step in completing my total
domination of the "World's Ugliest Bike" Title! :-)
(Nothing against the stem, just red + my grey/green thing.. urgh!)

I think I gotta find a cheaper hobby/ sport :-)

Gee imagine if it was one of those ITM "The Stem". They are currently...
looking, looking... Price: $774.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (www.cecilwalker.com.au)

I need to lie down...
hippy