32 years 32 miles - A birthday ride

Old November 29th 07, 11:56 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
norry

Default 32 years 32 miles - A birthday ride

After my previous 'furthest ride'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64376) on my new
'Quax36' (http://tinyurl.com/6ajss) I decided that it would be a nice
idea to attempt 32 miles (52km) for my 32nd birthday in 2 months time.
Well 2 months came around far to soon so on Tuesday 27th November I set
off.

I'd planned a route to the village of 'Clare'
(http://www.clare-uk.com/) along windy country lanes that would avoid
most of the more busier roads taking me through small picturesque
villages.

After applying copious amounts of 'Butt Butt'r'
(http://tinyurl.com/70y5) I set off. The weather was damp and foggy
with a chill in the air though luckily hardly any wind. I had decided
to ride for at least 10 miles before I got off which as luck would have
coincided with a well placed bench at the start of a hill! I was
averaging 10mph at this point which wasn't too bad and a comfortable
speed for me to maintain. Music was my friend for the first time on a
ride and it made the miles pass much quicker.

After 18 miles I stopped for some lunch and a pint in the village of
Clare. The back road route had been a good choice as I only had a
handful of cars pass me on the quiet country lanes. There was a roaring
fire going in the pub and it was all I could do to stop falling asleep,
or perhaps it was the beer. The elderly couple sat opposite me did give
me an odd look when I pulled out the tube of Butt'r from my backpack
and proceeded to make my way to the toilet! All to soon I was back on
the road for the return trip. 14 miles to go at least I was over half
way now.

After about 26-28 miles gone my legs started seizing up and getting
terrible cramp when ever I had to push down with a little more power to
get up the hills. There was a couple of times when I had to dismount
and my legs would seize up completely and I couldn't bend them at all
until I had massaged some life back into them. It was now getting dark
and I was worried that I might have to ring for assistance. The last 4
miles were slow going and I had dropped to 7 mph but it was with a big
grin when I finally made it home.

Hardly any chaffing at all which I put down to the KH Freeride Saddle,
lots and lots of Butt'r and cycle shorts. Now I have to work on that
cramp.

'Pictures from Ride' (http://tinyurl.com/2yr9s2)

Quax36
145 cranks
Pinned pedals
KH Freeride Saddle

Gps Stats
33.4 miles (53.7 km)
10 mph moving average for 18 miles
8.9 mph moving average for 12 miles
Total time 5hrs 5mins
Stopped 1 hr

After 10 Miles
[image:
http://www.norry.co.uk/Gallery/Unicy.../IMG_1136.jpg]

Lunch
[image:
http://www.norry.co.uk/Gallery/Unicy.../DSC00009.JPG]

Gps
[image:
http://www.norry.co.uk/Gallery/Unicy.../IMG_1155.jpg]

--
norry

my latest muni ride report [ 'here'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61385) ]
*buc14 video competition entry - 3rd place british* [
[color=\"red\"]'video'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60020) ]
london uk uni meet 06 [ 'video '
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54700) ]
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 29th 07, 12:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
oldfatboy

Enjoyed reading about your ride and seeing the pictures.
Enjoy doing those while you can...the years go by quickly!

--
oldfatboy
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 29th 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
thejdw

Nice write up, did the pint help you cycle?

Edit: Happy birthday

--
thejdw

I didn't spell it wrong, you just read it wrong!
kington99 wrote:
A hobnob is an oaty biscuit, the fact that they don't exist in america
just goes to show that you have no culinary heritage

don't follow Jesus, follow me!

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 29th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pdc

It's gonna be a rough ride when you turn 60.

--
pdc

"What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
mother"
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 29th 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
wobbling bear

pdc wrote:
It's gonna be a rough ride when you turn 60.

I was thinking precisely that as I turn 60 in 2008 (even when dealing
in kilometers 60km is a bit too much for me .... but I'll give it a
thought).

--
wobbling bear

One Wheel : bear necessity
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 29th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomblackwood

Awesome ride and write-up. Glad to see you didn't let the longer
distance stop you from having a proper pint along the way.

Happy Birthday, and congratulations on the new PB distance.

TB

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 29th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
legtod2

You might have it reversed...

Its the number of pints = your age then ride then ride 1 km

not
Age = kilometers to ride = 1 beer.

Congradulations on distance ride.

--
legtod2
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 29th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joe

Great stuff mate! Happy Birthday too!

Lunch looked delicious... shame it wasnt a buffet, always the best part
of the party :P

Joe,

--
joe

*www.cool.unicyclist.com*
'Unicycle.Com' (http://www.unicycle.com)
Joe Baxter is great. Mike Swarbrick is not.

Lucas wrote:
I wasn't drunk, I was just uncoordinated

Kit wrote:
I've lost my baby arms!

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 29th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cathwood

Happy Birthday!

Great ride and write up.

I turned 42 last Saturday. I'm ashamed to say I went ice skating
instead of attempting the 42 miles

--
cathwood

Cathy
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 29th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
FlyByTire

Thanks for the write-up and pictures. I did some bike touring in
northern England back in 1983. Maybe I can make it back someday and do
the same by uni.

-Aaron

--
FlyByTire

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should
http://www.usenet.com

Mt. Hamilton ride New Years Day Mike Jacoubowsky Rides 81 January 10th 07 05:32 PM
Floyd; in one day more miles than LAnce 7 years! [email protected] Racing 6 August 3rd 06 10:53 PM
My birthday ride Bill Cotton Rides 2 June 19th 06 04:43 AM
40 Years, 40 Miles... BH Mountain Biking 11 October 30th 05 04:35 AM
New years day ride in TEXAS steve0we Unicycling 25 January 5th 05 01:50 PM