tour de france : scandalous

Old July 21st 03, 03:34 PM
Walter Mitty

Default tour de france : scandalous

Am enjoying my first full Tour on the TV : (an evening job helps)

Lance was just knocked off his bike by a ****ing stupid spectator. What are
the "rules" here?? Will Ulrich pull up and let Lance get back into the race
or is it just "rub of the green" as they say in Golf?

That spectator should be hung by his toes. All that effort, training,
determination, cat & mouse ruined by one foolish asshole.

Back to the race, with fingers crossed that Lance catches up and makes a go
of it.

May the best man win : the fair way.

--
Walter Mitty.
Old July 21st 03, 04:26 PM
Walter Mitty

Walter Mitty brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
he conjectured that:

Am enjoying my first full Tour on the TV : (an evening job helps)

Lance was just knocked off his bike by a ****ing stupid spectator.
What are the "rules" here?? Will Ulrich pull up and let Lance get back
into the race or is it just "rub of the green" as they say in Golf?

That spectator should be hung by his toes. All that effort, training,
determination, cat & mouse ruined by one foolish asshole.

Back to the race, with fingers crossed that Lance catches up and makes
a go of it.

May the best man win : the fair way.

great sportsmanship from Ullrich and the others in the lead groups. great
surge from Armstrong who wins by 40 seconds.

Awesome stuff.

--
Walter Mitty.
Old July 21st 03, 04:28 PM
Stergios Papadakis

Default SPOILER, DO NOT READ tour de france : scandalous

archer wrote:

In article , says...

This thread gives away the important events of the stage,
including the finish.

Stergios
Old July 21st 03, 05:18 PM
Mark Weaver

"Walter Mitty" wrote in message
Am enjoying my first full Tour on the TV : (an evening job helps)

Lance was just knocked off his bike by a ****ing stupid spectator. What

are
the "rules" here?? Will Ulrich pull up and let Lance get back into the

race
or is it just "rub of the green" as they say in Golf?

That spectator should be hung by his toes. All that effort, training,
determination, cat & mouse ruined by one foolish asshole.

Not clear it was the spectator's fault -- he (or she) was just holding a bag
of something standing alongside the route and Lance cut very close to the
edge of the road and caught his brake lever on it. The fan wasn't one of
those jumping out in front and back and the last moment -- he was just
standing there.

Mark

Old July 21st 03, 05:56 PM
Doug Huffman

And the rule is to accept 'stuff' from spectators only with the greatest
caution lest one become sickened inadvertently or advertently. The spectator
should be punished.

This sort of spectator is exactly why I left auto racing before I had to
start carrying a baton. Ask Gordon Johncock - yeah, I know he's a nobody -
about the time a full can of coke landed between his front and rear wheels
and almost in his cockpit. He stopped 'safely' at Turn-11 at Road Atlanta,
did a lap or two around his car while cursing and drove off.

Screw spectators.

Old July 21st 03, 06:24 PM
dennisg

In an interview, Lance admitted that it was his own mistake. He was
riding too close to the side.

Old July 21st 03, 07:11 PM
Luigi de Guzman

Walter Mitty wrote in message ...
Am enjoying my first full Tour on the TV : (an evening job helps)

Lance was just knocked off his bike by a ****ing stupid spectator. What are
the "rules" here?? Will Ulrich pull up and let Lance get back into the race
or is it just "rub of the green" as they say in Golf?

If you stayed around to watch, Ullrich and Hamilton did, in fact, hold
up and let Armstrong rejoin the race--eventually, to win and increase
his margin over ullrich by a minute.

The custom in the peloton, apparently, is that it is unsporting
(though not illegal) to take undue advantage of your competitors'
accidents or mechanical failures. Armstrong did the same for Ullrich
in 2001, when Ullrich ended up (quite spectacularly, if I remember
right) in a field.

That spectator should be hung by his toes. All that effort, training,
determination, cat & mouse ruined by one foolish asshole.

Would you rather the Tour be so unpopular as to have no spectators at
all?

There are a lot of people--riders, support vehicles, press vehicles,
race officials, gendarmes, and spectators--crammed onto not a lot of
frontage on very remote roads. These things happen.

I'd be curious to know whether any spectator, in the hundred years of
the Tour de France, has wilfully attacked or injured a competitor with
a view to denying that competitor a stage or overall victory.

May the best man win : the fair way.

Today, he did, and the whole peloton demonstrated a kind of class that
is seldom seen in other sporting events--indeed, seldom seen on
Usenet, either.

as for me: allez Tyler!

-Luigi
Old July 21st 03, 07:36 PM
St Canard

In article , Luigi de
Guzman wrote:

I'd be curious to know whether any spectator, in the hundred years of
the Tour de France, has wilfully attacked or injured a competitor with
a view to denying that competitor a stage or overall victory.

The answer is yes. In 1975 a French fan stepped out from the crowd
and punched Eddie Merckx in the kidney during a climb -- he was a fan
of Bernard Thevenet and apparently upset that the trophy was going to
leave France. Merckx had the yellow jersey at the time. The kidney
became infected and forced him to abandon, and Thevenet went on to
win. In typical Merckx fashion, after the stage we went back down
looking for they guy that hit him.

--
"Divide by cucumber error, please reinstall Universe and reboot"
-- Terry Pratchett, _Hogfather_
Old July 21st 03, 08:02 PM
Zoot Katz

Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:56:27 -0400,