Riding on flat tubular tire?

Old June 4th 15, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Riding on flat tubular tire?

I've read that you can ride on a flatted tubular tire if you're careful.

Just wondering if doing that for a few kilometres destroys the tire. Does it?

Cheers
Old June 4th 15, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Sir Ridesalot writes:

I've read that you can ride on a flatted tubular tire if you're careful.

Just wondering if doing that for a few kilometres destroys the tire. Does it?

What percentage of tubular users still repair flats?

--
Joe Riel
Old June 4th 15, 12:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 20:38:09 -0700, Joe Riel wrote:

Sir Ridesalot writes:

I've read that you can ride on a flatted tubular tire if you're careful.

Just wondering if doing that for a few kilometres destroys the tire. Does it?

What percentage of tubular users still repair flats?

I did, which is the major reason I switched to the "other kind".
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 4th 15, 01:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/3/2015 9:54 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I've read that you can ride on a flatted tubular tire if you're careful.

Just wondering if doing that for a few kilometres destroys the tire. Does it?

Cheers

Usually yes, the edges fray but usually no rim damage.
But hey it was already flat!

The first time I did it, at severely cold temperatures, I
just wanted to get someplace warm as soon as possible. But
on reflection it didn't seem to have much downside.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 4th 15, 02:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, June 3, 2015 at 10:54:50 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I've read that you can ride on a flatted tubular tire if you're careful.

Just wondering if doing that for a few kilometres destroys the tire. Does it?

Cheers

fragile tube ? problems with nipple stem ?
Old June 4th 15, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 8:48:19 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/3/2015 9:54 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I've read that you can ride on a flatted tubular tire if you're careful..

Just wondering if doing that for a few kilometres destroys the tire. Does it?

Cheers

Usually yes, the edges fray but usually no rim damage.
But hey it was already flat!

The first time I did it, at severely cold temperatures, I
just wanted to get someplace warm as soon as possible. But
on reflection it didn't seem to have much downside.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thanks again Andrew.

On a long ride yesterday my Silca pump gave up the ghost in a rather spectacular manner. Most of the air went out of the tire as I was topping it up. Fortunately it wasn't too far a walk home, the weather was nice and the birds were singing. I'll carry my Zefal pump on that bike from now on too.

BTW, do you sell the 26.8 seat tube Zefal pump clips?

Cheers
Old June 5th 15, 01:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-06-03 7:54 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I've read that you can ride on a flatted tubular tire if you're careful.

Just wondering if doing that for a few kilometres destroys the tire. Does it?

Who needs a tire? :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUoCSzVmhhQ

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 7th 15, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Some fifteen years ago I got a nasty flat about twenty kilometers from home. It was a sunday afternoon and there was no chance to buy a replacement.

I tried to stop motorists in the hope to have a lift. No success.
I even stopped a Police patrol car but they said they were already out of their assigned route.
I then walked for about a kilometer before deciding I should pedal home.

So did I,very carefully,especially when taking turns, and safely.

Once I got home I learned from a canadian acquaintence that, with a more conventional clincher tyre,one could profitably stuff the casing with dry grass and menage to ride with better comfort.

Sergio
Pisa
Old June 7th 15, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2015-06-03 7:54 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I've read that you can ride on a flatted tubular tire if you're careful.

Just wondering if doing that for a few kilometres destroys the tire. Does it?

Who needs a tire? :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUoCSzVmhhQ

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

yeah is this the NEXT thing after GRAVEL ?

Old June 7th 15, 09:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/7/2015 3:56 PM, wrote:
Some fifteen years ago I got a nasty flat about twenty kilometers from home. It was a sunday afternoon and there was no chance to buy a replacement.

I tried to stop motorists in the hope to have a lift. No success.
I even stopped a Police patrol car but they said they were already out of their assigned route.
I then walked for about a kilometer before deciding I should pedal home.

So did I,very carefully,especially when taking turns, and safely.

Once I got home I learned from a canadian acquaintence that, with a more conventional clincher tyre,one could profitably stuff the casing with dry grass and menage to ride with better comfort.

I've heard of stuffing tires with grass, in discussions of both
bicycling and motorcycling. I've never had to try it, though.

The first "long" (i.e. 20 mile) ride I ever took as a cyclist was in
very rural Georgia on a Sunday morning. I got a flat way out in the
boondocks, and had no way to repair it. I was very lucky to come upon
an ancient country store that was actually open on Sunday. I patched
the tire with an automobile patch kit I bought (big thick patches) and
inflated with a borrowed pump.

Within a day or two, I'd spent some money at the LBS and never rode
without a pump and patch kit again.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Repair tubular tire with a syringe & tire sealant? Sir Ridesalot Techniques 12 November 6th 11 01:40 AM
Flat tire or Popped tire? beeper Unicycling 3 June 14th 07 05:59 AM
Flat tire today... rdclark General 21 May 1st 05 09:24 PM
How often do you get a flat tire ? Gazza Australia 20 August 12th 04 01:14 PM
Flat Tire Worminton Unicycling 2 June 26th 04 11:01 PM