Ruined. Irretrievably ruined.

Old March 23rd 05, 07:01 AM
Jombo

DAD GUMMIT! If I had known, I certainly would have saved it for the
highest bidder. We still have all the charred burnt salvaged
peices...suppose we could put it back together. Although, the frame has
been stripped I could torch it again!

Let me tell you it was quite an emotional and scary night, not to
mention the following couple days. Garrett's friend Jon suffered only
one minor scratch on the knuckle. Garrett would have not been injured
either 'cept the air bag punched him in the face. They walked away
clean.

For those of you who are curious, it was the 24" Nimbus Uni on
Unicycle.com. First uni on the Novice page listing for $209.

Kayote (Greg) got us interested in this Muni thing last Spring when we
spectated the Wolfman Duathalon competion here in Memphis. Garrett and
I were hooked before the race was over and had two trainer unis on the
way by day's end. By end of summer last year we were hitting the
trails pretty heavy and had begun practicing for this years event.

Mine is peiced together from different parts, but Garrett's was a
Christmas gift from his grandmother (my ma) He wanted one he could ride
off road as well as do trials. He was getting really good and hopping
in place which is a very good skill to have leaping over roots and
rocks. With that Nimbus 3" tire, he was owning mud holes and obstacles
to the point Kayote was impressed.

Now he's got a frame, a seat post, and a seat post clamp. The frame
seems to be in perfect conditon less the chrome now. Not sure what
color, but he's prepping it for new paint. We have an old seat off one
of those trainers and a set of pedals from an older mountain bike. Just
need a wheel combo and some cranks. Won't be the same but it will get
him back on the trails.

He's a wonderful kid, and he's extremely humbled by this expereince. He
was actually out looking for a job that night so he could earn some cash
to upgrade his Jeep. Which on the other hand demonstrated some rather
natural off road driving skills just the weekend before in Hot Springs.
I'm a jeep nut and have three...his was number four. Now he got
nottin'

To the previous post....when the impact occurred it snapped the fuel
injection tubes. No fuel shut off would have prevented the fuel already
present in the lines. It was an older engine and plenty of oil residue
was evident. The impact must have cracked the coil or something else to
cause a spark. There was no way of telling as the entire vehicle was
gutted. Anything metal was charred, fiberglass turned into stardust,
and alluminum melted.

Which brings me to the other comment about the cranks and pedals. They
were alluminum. Funny though...one crank was completely melted to
include the pedal. Only a small mangled melted chunk left hung off the
hub. The other crank and pedal is fully intact, although the hub is
toast.

By the way, Grandma is ****ed!

Enjoyed reading and will entertain any questions.

Oh, and I like the thread about riding a Muni to Hell and back. Making
of a good t-shirt design!

Kevin

--
Jombo
Jombo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9527

Old March 23rd 05, 08:13 AM
Klaas Bil

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:35:41 -0600, "Kayote" wrote:

The lawyer's on the phone...

Refer him to this thread. All the evidence is here, saved for 'all
eternity'.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
people who unicycle are shyly exhibitionistic - GILD

Old March 23rd 05, 10:29 AM
john_childs

Good thing it wasn't an aluminum KH cause the frame would have been just
a puddle. Steel frames rule!

Gilby posted a photo somewhere of a pile of charred unicycles after the
fire in his parents garage. I did a quick search and couldn't find the
photo.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com

Old March 23rd 05, 12:28 PM
Kayote

Now that everyone's had a chance to weigh in, it seems perfectly natural
to have saved the poor defeated uni and hung it in honor on the wall.
Don't know why it didn't occur to us to begin with.

On the other hand, I now have that MeatLoaf lyric about "run (ride)
right into hell and back" and I'm gonna have to dig up that old (OLD-
it's on cassette tape) album 'Back Into Hell' and hear it.

I'm gonna do the shirt.

--
Kayote

Greg, your cartoonin' unicycler.

http://www.cafepress.com/unicycles
Kayote's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8562

Old March 23rd 05, 02:17 PM
Jombo

Yup! I lost sleep over it. I'm an artist, too and why didn't I think
of it as a cool wall hanging. Garrett and I actaully talked about if we
could reassemble it the way it was.

Yeah, Meatloaf! I got that cassette somewhere.

Might have to do up a shirt design meeself...

Hmm...maybe I can make some kind of sculpture still.

Old March 23rd 05, 10:44 PM
gerblefranklin

I understood that the fuel lines would still have fuel, but I would
imagine that the entire tank had to go for the car to be as gutted as it
is. Then again, I imagine the fuel pump wan't working once things
started burning...

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Nick's main man.

"The genesis of genocide is like a Pagan religion; carefully hidden,
woven into the holidays of a Christian."-Immortal Technique

* I need a profile hub, any condition, as long as the splines work! (PM
me) *

Old March 23rd 05, 11:07 PM
DigitalDave

Gas is a 'funny' fuel...

One time ... in my 1968 International Pickup ,..

The fuel line poped off the fuel filter at 60mph.
I had no hood over the engine.
(I painted it real nice )

So,, the fuel sprayed all over the engine and windshield...
.. even onto me (the windows were open)

I freaked (as you could imagine), because the plug wires were always
arcing on that old beast.

Well, the truck never caught fire.

It took time for my eyes to clear, and the fuel to evap off the engine
before I could reattach the fueline...

I was bummed ... cuz,,, I was on my way to the all nite strip club
(had to go home to change clothes)

--
DigitalDave - Ðîgï†å||¥ ËñhÂÑ€èÐ

'nf7-s ~ xp2400mobile'
(http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=21988)
'20,124 3dm01' (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8399731)
my will to live was stronger than my will to die. - iggy pop
that which does not kill me, makes me stronger. - friedrich nietzsche
1899
if it's popular, then what's it got to do with us? - mens room wall
DigitalDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8003

Old March 23rd 05, 11:10 PM
KcTheAcy

[image: http://www.busteduni.com/albums/unis/199_9928.jpg]

--
KcTheAcy - Ohh Baby

--Kaycee
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Kaycees-Unicycle-gallery

http://www.maineunicyclist.2ya.com/
KcTheAcy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5003

Old March 24th 05, 12:44 AM
Kayote

Daaaayyyyyyuuuummmmmmnn.

Old March 24th 05, 08:37 AM
Klaas Bil

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:55:34 -0600, "Kayote" wrote:

How's this for a wreck?

Post the pic on busteduni.com if you haven't already done so.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
people who unicycle are shyly exhibitionistic - GILD