Review: St. John's St. Cycles cheapie 110 PCD alloy crankset (~$60.00US) for old-fashioned BBs

Old January 31st 15, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Review: St. John's St. Cycles cheapie 110 PCD alloy crankset(~$60.00 US) for old-fashioned BBs

On 1/31/2015 10:25 AM, wrote:
Here you go:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwrwgo6az8...nkset.jpg?dl=0

I forgot to mention, the axle end dust caps are plastic throwaways.

It says "B-9 forged" on the back of the crank. What does that mean?

Of course, I won't know how true it runs until I install it. Nor do I know what the chain line will be yet. This bike is my main rider, and at this time year I am trying to get some foundation miles in, so I'm procrastinating because I'm afraid I might experience complications when I install the new crank (for example, the chain might rub on the nose of the Campy front derailleur with that 34 tooth inner chainring, and I'll have to get a different derailleur).

I sure would like to know what the story is on the steel chainrings. Some of the teeth seem like they are all wallowed out, like they already have a bunch of miles on them, and a couple of other teeth are rather pointed. Is this just from poor manufacturing, or is there maybe some engineering reason for it? OTOH I guess I don't care that much because I intend to find some nice alloy chainrings for it anyway. Maybe I'll try the SJSC rings that Andre mentioned.

B-9 may be that one Chinese girl who makes cranks.

The shaping of modern chainring teeth isn't a defect, it's a
feature. Compare with any equivalent Shimano product which
will show the same uneven stampings, usually with truncated
teeth at four evenly spaced intervals known as 'shift
gates'. The tooth shapes are optimized for modern gearing
with modern chains and changers.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 31st 15, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I didn't know that.

Since the steel chainrings are probably OK, then, I'll give them a try as-is and report back.
Old January 31st 15, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 12:16:14 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I didn't know that.

Since the steel chainrings are probably OK, then, I'll give them a try as-is and report back.

the chain might rub on the nose of the Campy front derailleur...

OH NO ! drill, install small bolt/jamb nut with red locktite. Space with extra nuts n washers.

take rings to lBS ask for an opinion. buy something first. bathe.

Andy, are the failed crank and med records ready to roll ?

Old February 1st 15, 10:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zarniwoop

On Friday, January 30, 2015 at 10:08:00 AM UTC-8, wrote:
The crankset itself is pretty nice, but the supplied steel chainrings are really lousy. That's OK, though, because $60 is still a very good price for such a nice crankset. I'll just have to buy some nice chainrings for it.

I equipped my 110 - 74 triple with steel chainrings for their wear longevity..
in the 80's

though now putting Surly's Stainless steel ones would do similar, look nicer,
though they didn't get any 24t made.
Old February 1st 15, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 5:16:14 PM UTC, wrote:
I didn't know that.

Since the steel chainrings are probably OK, then, I'll give them a try as-is and report back.

Smart thinking. Even if they aren't OK, you haven't lost anything because even unsatisfactory steel cogs will outlast at least one chain.

Andre Jute
Old February 1st 15, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 9:16:14 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I didn't know that.

Since the steel chainrings are probably OK, then, I'll give them a try as-is and report back.

Don't go to any Paramount club meetings with those rings. You'll be shunned.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old February 2nd 15, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 6:56:32 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 9:16:14 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I didn't know that.

Since the steel chainrings are probably OK, then, I'll give them a try as-is and report back.

Don't go to any Paramount club meetings with those rings. You'll be shunned.

-- Jay Beattie.

HANG OEM RINGS ON WALL
Old February 2nd 15, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I can handle being shunned, Jay (it wouldn't be the first time!), but I can't find any Paramount Club meeting to attend! Does anybody really care about old steel frames anymore? (Not counting that "classic bike" website where the webmaster is a petty dictator. I refuse to go there anymore because my free-speech rights are too important to me.)
Old February 2nd 15, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Of course, Gene. I always do everything you say.

The chain line was terrible (way too far out), but of course that has nothing to do with the quality of the crankset. It runs nice and true, and the steel chainrings seem run pretty quietly and smoothly.

I am going to correct the chain line by hook or crook. Mostly by crook. (I'm going to file and grind, since I intend to get rid of the old-fashioned bottom bracket some day anyway.)

Also, I have found that St. John's Street Cycles gives quite good customer service. They responded to my email inquiry promptly and in detail. I think they're almost as good a shop as that one in Madison, WI. And besides, they taught me a new cycling word: Audax!

Old Fashioned Bicycle [email protected] Marketplace 0 June 7th 10 08:28 PM
Old Fashioned Look of Fenders, Chopped and Rotated Handel Barz Techniques 20 June 30th 09 06:27 PM
Old Fashioned Look of Metal Fenders, Partially Solved, I think. . . Handel Barz Techniques 8 June 30th 09 04:52 PM
cheapie fixie hubs? [email protected] Australia 24 April 14th 05 11:51 PM
OLd fashioned bicycle Bill Turner UK 9 June 29th 04 10:24 PM