Shimano CX50 cantilever brakes

Old February 10th 15, 11:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Shimano CX50 cantilever brakes

I've come across Shimano BR-CX50 (or 70) cantilever brakes and I see
mention of what seems to information that they can be used with
conventional Shimano STI levers.

Does anyone know for sure?

(and yes, I know that conventional Shimano cantilevers can be used
with STI levers but the adjustment is rather critical :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old February 10th 15, 12:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 12:23:49 PM UTC+1, John B. Slocomb wrote:
I've come across Shimano BR-CX50 (or 70) cantilever brakes and I see
mention of what seems to information that they can be used with
conventional Shimano STI levers.

Does anyone know for sure?

(and yes, I know that conventional Shimano cantilevers can be used
with STI levers but the adjustment is rather critical :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Yes. Up to two years ago UCI didn't allow disk brakes on crossbikes so pro riders had to use these ****ty cantilever brakes with STI levers. Since diskbrakes are allowed there are lot of choice in disc compatible frames and forks now. The reason that some pro riders still use these brakes is their lower weight, but that is changing in the near future.

Lou
Old February 11th 15, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_3_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

There are also things like the Tektro 926-AL, which are V-brakes with STI
compatible leverage.