New Guy Questions

Old August 25th 03, 04:12 AM
Dell Phinus

Default New Guy Questions

Greetings,

Been going thru Google trying to get up to speed on all the latest
bicycle gadgets.

Family decided they wanted to start riding bikes for fun and fitness.
Got the girls (9 and 11) 26 " Schwinns at the LBS, got me and the wife
Specialized Expedition Sports. GOnna be doing bike paths, county
roads and state park riding.

Questions:

1. rear racks- does anyone make something that will allow a daypack
or frameless backpack to be used as a pannier?

2. hitch mount bike racks- I've got a Yak Bighorn 4, on advice of LBS
for carrying 2 adult bikes and 2 kids bike (had 20" Wally World
specials before we figured out that there's no way they could keep up
on 15 mile rides). Seems like it'd be a lot less wear and tear on the
four bikes getting them on and off a "center beam" for lack of a
better term) style rack, like the Yak SuperROC or ROC 4? ALso, the
welds on the arms of the Bighorn worry me. Seems like a solid tube
would hold up better than the welded arms. Comments?

3. Floor pumps. Our standard tire pump has the flip lever on the
back of the head. By the time you flip it and work it off the
Schrader valve, the pressures dropped 10-20 lbs. Been looking at
JoeBlow Pro. It has a lever on the head. Will it allow me to
inflate, flip the lever, then unscrew the head from the valve without
loss of pressure?

Also, any comments on the Joe Blow Sport?

Thanks for the help/advice. Boy, things sure have changed since my
college Schwinn Varsity days...
Old August 25th 03, 04:50 AM
Peter Gardner

1. rear racks- does anyone make something that will allow a daypack
or frameless backpack to be used as a pannier?

Bungee cords. They're great. Just don't get them caught in the back
wheel like I did once. It makes a funny noise, slows you down, and
ruins a perfectly good bungee cord.

Peter
Old August 25th 03, 07:30 AM
Zippy the Pinhead

On 24 Aug 2003 23:08:18 -0800, "Garrison Hilliard"
wrote:

Peter Gardner wrote:
1. rear racks- does anyone make something that will allow a daypack
or frameless backpack to be used as a pannier?

Bungee cords. They're great. Just don't get them caught in the back
wheel like I did once. It makes a funny noise, slows you down, and
ruins a perfectly good bungee cord.

Nor are those metal end hooks good for one's spokes and hubs!

And don't try it with a FRONT luggage dealie.

And don't ask me how I know...

Old August 25th 03, 01:31 PM
Alex Colvin

Peter Gardner writes:

1. rear racks- does anyone make something that will allow a daypack
or frameless backpack to be used as a pannier?

Bungee cords. They're great. Just don't get them caught in the back
wheel like I did once. It makes a funny noise, slows you down, and
ruins a perfectly good bungee cord.

Not to mention popping spokes and stopping the wheel.

Try tying things with strips of innertubes.

--
mac the naïf
Old August 25th 03, 02:11 PM
Soup

Peter Gardner wrote:
1. rear racks- does anyone make something that will allow a daypack
or frameless backpack to be used as a pannier?

Bungee cords. They're great. Just don't get them caught in the back
wheel like I did once. It makes a funny noise, slows you down, and
ruins a perfectly good bungee cord.

Peter

Once had that happen to me, at the time I was going along Prince's street
arguablly the busiest street in Edinburgh (Scotland ,UK)Back wheel locked
solid, bike' careened wildly luckily to the pavement side, still made a taxi
swerve and a bus jam on his brakes.Fortunately no permanent damage done but
I did get a he** of a scare.The walk home (2 miles pushing the bike')wasn't
enjoyable either.Apart from a couple of paint/enamel scratches the bungee
was fine, the rear derailleur and rear cog were a mess though .

--
yours S (addy' not usable[not that you would try it anyway])
there wis a hare ran tae a burn it ran sae fast it couldnae turn

Old August 25th 03, 04:18 PM
Pat

x-no-archive:yes

"Dell Phinus"

You should get a couple of bicycle catalogs. Even if you buy locally, which
you should, reading the catalogs will give you an idea of what is "out
there" and how it is used as well as answering all sorts of questions that
you have. try www.performancebike.com and www.nashbar.com to get you
started. If you have the time, look at online bicycle shops offerings for
info to bring you up to speed, as well. There is www.cambriabike.com and
www.coloradocyclist.com to get you started. Also, go to
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/hb.html for answers and links.

Pat in TX

Couple questions about bike tires Dan Musicant General 19 July 24th 03 09:56 PM
Group ride questions Ken General 4 July 24th 03 01:05 AM
Thread-on freewheel questions Ryan Cousineau General 3 July 23rd 03 08:16 PM
Couple questions about bike tires Dan Musicant General 3 July 18th 03 08:18 PM
Another Questions - -Mongoose DXR - vs XR-100 [email protected] General 1 July 12th 03 12:34 AM