Too many Flats...what to do?

Old February 22nd 04, 10:07 AM
daino149

Default Too many Flats...what to do?

When I went riding the other day, I had a flat caused by a rather large
thorn. When was loading the flat uni into the car, I noticed another
thorn. After patching the first two, I water tested the tire and found
two more holes. I assume thorns also caused those flats.

Question time:

Do any of you used any sort of tire goop to prevent the air loss in the
case of puncture? How well do they work?

Do any of you use those tube protecting strips? How do those work? The
thorns that stick my tire was about an inch long each and very sharp.
In fact, my dad went riding at the same place yesterday and got a flat
from a thorn that went straight through two layers of that protecting
strip.

Thanks,
Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

there ain't enough body armor in the country for me to try that. -- Ken
on the mtbr forum in reference to MUni

Old February 22nd 04, 10:25 AM
mango

I used slime when i used to mountain bike in the caribbean. There were
thorns all over the place called 'kasha' or akaisha(sp).
I didnt have a choice not to use anything or else i wouldnt be able to
ride. Those damn thorns would give cars flat tires!

So its been a while since ive lived there and had to use slime. But as i
remember it did the job pretty well. Of course, it makes your tire
heavier. I would give slime a 8 out of 10 from my experiences with it.
What kind of riding are you doing?

Im sure there is a lot of new stuff that has come out since my
experience so i am probably pretty outdated.

Good luck, man!

--
mango - unity - as 1 stand together

"I know I'd be willing to spend up to $20 for a set of strong nipples."
-andrew_carter

(sorry buddy, couldnt resist =)

mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

Old February 22nd 04, 10:32 AM
daino149

This was on my road cycle. It's a 26er with a Nirve Badass Tire
(slick). The thorns I'm having problems with are from a tree called
Keawe. I think it's similar to akaisha, the trees look alike. How much
do you use? Do you leave the thorn in, or pull it out?

Thanks,
Daniel

Old February 22nd 04, 03:48 PM
brian.slater

You could try these 'NoTubes (link)' (http://www.notubes.com/)
I've got one I haven't yet put on my MUni, we don't have giant thorns
here.

--
brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

Brian C. Slater
AKA: Snoopy

Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

"To not decide is to decide" - undecided
brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

Old February 22nd 04, 03:52 PM
onefiftyfour

slime works very well. some bike shops have a vat of it to spray into
your tube.

-eric

--
onefiftyfour - Eric
onefiftyfour's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3495

Old February 22nd 04, 04:05 PM
newtouni

I used 'Slime" in my motorcycle for off road use. I have *never* had a
flat with a 'Slimed' tire and I have picked up some pretty major
torns.

Newtouni

--
newtouni

Everything is a progression...
newtouni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5465

Old February 22nd 04, 05:41 PM
paco

I've only had moderate success with Slime. For me, it's always been a
temporary fix.
I don't know about anyone else, but when I used the slime in my tires,
it only lasts for a little bit and then the seal goes again. I had it
happen in the middle of a 5K charity race I was doing (it was a running
race, but they asked me specifically to ride it on my unicycle to give
some variety).
I got up that morning to find out that I had a thorn in my tire (and
this was a "thorn resistant" tube). I already had goop in my tire, and
so pumped up the tire again. I then proceeded to ride it for a while to
make sure the seal was fine. No problem.
So I got to the race and rode for about 5 minutes. Then the seal gave
out and I got the same flat again. I tried pumping up the tire, but it
kept deflating. So I started pushing my unicycle for a few minutes.
The slime then sealed the tire again and I was able to pump up my tire
and finish the race. But all this was after I'd lost plenty of time off
the clock.
So use slime at your own risk. My MUni has a Kenda Kolossal tire and a
Duro heavyweight downhill tube. I've never got a flat with that setup,
and I was getting a flat sometimes three times a month with my other uni
(stupid Goathead thorns!) The Duro tube weighs quite a bit, but is just
so massively thick!

--
paco - Proud owner of 2 opposable thumbs

Give me apathy, or...
oh, whatever.
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

Old February 22nd 04, 06:01 PM
UniBrier

paco wrote:
*stupid Goathead thorns *

I never knew about 'goat head thorns' (http://tinyurl.com/2lfg6) until
almost every tire on the entire family's bikes and the Burley trailer
went flat after a ride in Goat Head country. What a pain!

Flat prevention is definitely something to keep in mind when riding in
thorn-rich areas.

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve DeKoekkoek ~ A one track mind in search of the never-ending sine
wave.

Sure you can walk the whole track, but then it's not MUni, its WUni. ~
Rowan regarding being hard-core.

Actually I think it's more of a WUni. ~ John Foss regarding Sponge Bob’s
water giraffe.

UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

Old February 22nd 04, 06:22 PM
sockmonster

I sprung for a self-sealing tube. Ran about 5 bucks at Wal*Mart. It came
pre-slimed.

--
sockmonster - Level 4

Funny how in this forum, no one thinks it's weird if someone says, "I
tacoed my giraffe..."
sockmonster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4286

Old February 22nd 04, 07:01 PM
uniextreme

Well there is a very simple solution just quit uniing. No, i
have had some good luck with slime it always works for me. But you
could always get one of those heavy duty preslimed tubes like
sockmonster said and get some of those tire strips, except these thorns
sound prettythick so all that might not work.
Brian

--
uniextreme - Funkadelic Unicyclist

Now recruiting members to join the 1 Wheeled Warriors
uniextreme's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4708