Cycling to work banned

Old January 21st 04, 03:23 PM
dwb

Default Cycling to work banned

"James Annan" wrote in message

Anyway, we rode a tandem before we came to Japan, and continued after
our arrival a few years ago. Some bureaucrat noticed this immediately,
and made disapproving noises, but we ignored him - he refused to give us
an official FRSGC badge for the bike, but we found this apparent
reprimand surprisingly easy to cope with. Three years later, and he (or
perhaps some replacement) is back with a vengeance. He has insisted that
we cannot continue to ride the tandem to work. If we continue, he will
ban all cycling for all members of staff. The justification for this
escalation (and whether is it in principle legally possible) is not
clear, and we haven't told any other cyclists yet.

Can't you just park it round the corner and walk the last bit?

Old January 21st 04, 03:25 PM
Peter Fox

Following on from James Annan's message. . .
[Bizarre story of Little Togo trying to ban cycling to work snipped]

Why not organise the other cyclists. Find as many tandems as you can
(you already have 3) get the other cyclists on-board them and swoop
after getting the TV involved. Have the other cyclists on ordinary
bikes who won't fit on a tandem. (Or a uni-cycle - That should bust the
blood vessels of the pea-brain bureaucrat.)

Your fellow cyclists are your best allies, and the TV coverage should
rub it in. I suspect that there will be plenty of people who hate
Little Togo's guts and won't be sorry to see him taken down a notch or
two.

My knowledge of Japanese culture is slim but it might be an idea to hint
to fellow cyclists that you have already been contacted by a _foreign_
TV station that wants to run the story about the 'stupidity of little
yellow people' and it might be an idea to deal with it now and locally
otherwise it will become another stick to hit them with. There is
plenty enough in this story to make it journalistically worth-while.

[Anyway you need protection - It's not right - The little people being
bullied like this - I have this vision of 'The Seven Tandemi' - what an
epic film that'll make... First collect your Tandemii - The old boy
found gently mending punctures outside his hut through to the kid with
the mongrel bike built from salvaged parts and held together with bits
of bent wire. Second the spiritual part - The practising the exact arm
signals, greasing the chain, truing the wheels, polishing the h****ts
and putting anti-mist on goggles. Third putting on the fighting gear -
Lycra, raincapes and cycle clips. Finally they all die violently in a
cinematic maelstrom.]

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the deckchair business folded

www.eminent.demon.co.uk/wcc.htm Witham Cycling Campaign
www.eminent.demon.co.uk/rides East Anglian Pub cycle rides
Old January 21st 04, 03:35 PM
Simon Brooke

James Annan writes:

The real reason behind this is that my wife and I are recidivist
criminals. Yes, we ride a tandem (we both work at the same lab). It
seems that way back in the mists of time, some careless bureaucrat
drafted a law that was intended to prevent more than one person riding
on a standard bicycle, but which accidentally included tandems in the
prohibition. (Despite the law, carrying a passenger is very common,
and of course no-one enforces such a petty nonsense anyway.) Some
prefectures have actually changed the law to allow tandems, but
unfortunately not the one where we live and work.

Would the solution not be for one of you to get off a hundred yards
from the gate, and for one to arrive a single rider on a single
(tandem) bike and the other to arrive on foot? Face saved, no problem,
Herbert-from-security San. Sayonara.

Windows 95:
You, you, you! You make a grown man cry...
M. Jagger/K. Richards
Old January 21st 04, 03:59 PM
PK

"Peter Fox" wrote in
message ...

[Anyway you need protection - It's not right - The little people being
bullied like this - I have this vision of 'The Seven Tandemi' -

Is that 7 tandems or 3 tandems and a tag-along?

pk

Old January 21st 04, 04:05 PM
Duke of URL

In ,
James Annan radiated into the
WorldWideWait:

Well, it hasn't been yet. But it has been threatened. This is at a
Govt funded (quasi-independent, the management structure is
somewhat obscure) scientific research lab in Japan
(http://www.jamstec.go.jp/frsgc/eng/). The main goal of the lab is
the understanding and prediction of climate change, and it issues
plenty of warm fuzzy statemente about "Protecting our Mother
Earth", but when the bureaucratic chips are down, it seems that it
is more important to issue diktats and invent rules to outlaw one
of the most environmentally-friendly behaviours possible.

[...]

haven't told any other cyclists yet. We don't want to stop riding
the tandem, as it is faster, safer and easier than riding single
bikes, and more fun too. People recognise us on our regular route,
and are friendly towards us, plus we've got a good tandem (um...3
tandems) and no suitable single bikes. Every day we pass the same
police boxes, we have even met some policemen and of course they
are not bothered about us "flouting" such a petty, trivial and
obviously accidental law.

In Japan (in a clear contrast with the UK), the commute to work is
partly the responsibility of the employer. For instance, an injury
during the commute counts as a industrial accident, and the employer
must pay for subsequent medical bills and sick pay (the latter
which for non-work-related injury and illness does not appear to be
a statutory requirement, or even part of our generally reasonable
working conditions). It is not clear to me why this responsibility
should give them the right to dictate methods of travel to work,
but I have heard of another company where driving to work was
banned, and someone was fired after having a crash and getting
caught.

In the UK, I would happily tell the bureaucrat to **** off, but
unfortunately workers' rights are still a rather foreign concept
here and it is clear that any foreigner who kicks up too much of a
fuss gets sent home in short order (I have already caused more than
my share of trouble, and now is definitely not a good time to start
any more). Bureaucrats aside, I like it here, and am not in a rush
to leave. But I don't take kindly to small-minded petty jobsworths
trying to push me around. Any hints and tips for a sensible
strategy will be gratefully received.

He must have a boss and that boss must have a boss and...
Keep going up with appointments wherein you point out that this is
abysmal stupidity.
It's just the sort of story that newspapers would love, especially
with all names & titles & quotes (when I do something like this, I
have a microrecorder running in my breast pocket).

Old January 21st 04, 06:01 PM
Zog The Undeniable

James Annan wrote:
Well, it hasn't been yet. But it has been threatened. This is at a Govt
funded (quasi-independent, the management structure is somewhat obscure)
scientific research lab in Japan

Cruel race ;-)

Old January 21st 04, 06:08 PM
Michael Cash

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:15:29 +0900, James Annan
brought down from the Mount tablets
inscribed:

[...]

clear, and we haven't told any other cyclists yet. We don't want to stop
[...]

Okay....now I get it.

Short answer is that both you and your employer are being obstinate
asses, though they do come off looking slightly better than you. How
do you think it looks for a quasi-governmental agency to have their
employees breaking the law on their commute to work every day?

Advice:

1. Get two bicycles
2. Get your ass off your shoulders
3. Give us all this from the beginning instead of this roundabout
bull****

--

Michael Cash

"I am sorry, Mr. Cash, but we are unable to accept your rap sheet in lieu of
a high school transcript."

Dr. Howard Sprague
Dean of Admissions
Mount Pilot College
Old January 21st 04, 06:16 PM
Tony Raven

James Annan wrote:

In the UK, I would happily tell the bureaucrat to **** off, but
unfortunately workers' rights are still a rather foreign concept here
and it is clear that any foreigner who kicks up too much of a fuss gets
sent home in short order (I have already caused more than my share of
trouble, and now is definitely not a good time to start any more).
Bureaucrats aside, I like it here, and am not in a rush to leave. But I
don't take kindly to small-minded petty jobsworths trying to push me
around. Any hints and tips for a sensible strategy will be gratefully
received.

Welcome to the Japanese culture I came to love so much. What you need is a
good Japanese friend of standing who can "negotiate" with the official causing
you problems. It can be solved but remember "the nail that stands out will be
hammered down" so don't try aggression or disobedience - it doesn't work in
the way it might in England and you will just get a hardening of attitudes.
The phrase you need is "go with the flow". It needs to be negotiated by a
respected Japanese in Japanese (using all the subtleties of the language which
only native speakers have mastered).

Ganbatte!

Tony

Old January 21st 04, 07:55 PM
Danny Colyer

Peter Fox suggested:
Why not organise the other cyclists. Find as many tandems as you can
(you already have 3) get the other cyclists on-board them and swoop
after getting the TV involved. Have the other cyclists on ordinary
bikes who won't fit on a tandem. (Or a uni-cycle - That should bust
the blood vessels of the pea-brain bureaucrat.)

I'm not sure the unicycle would cause as many eyelids to bat in Japan as
in the UK. Japan produces some of the best unicyclists in the world and
it's not uncommon for Japanese children to receive unicycling lessons at
school.

Sounds like a good idea though (as does teaching kids to ride unicycles
at school).

http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

Old January 21st 04, 07:57 PM
Q.

[...]

It sounds like the boss has some good reasons for his decision ... not
great, but good. I'm sure he doesn't appreciate a foreigner trying to push
him around either.

If his beef is that the company may be responsible for you while you're
commuting to work, couldn't you relieve the company of this burden? Have a
lawyer draw up some legal jive saying you exempt the company from any
responsibilities outside of work.

If you feel that strongly about it, then I'm sure you wouldn't mind giving
up your medical coverage in case of an accident, or any kind of benefits you
would receive if injured while commuting.

C.Q.C.