connex 10 speed chain

Old August 3rd 05, 12:54 AM
Steve Karpik

Default connex 10 speed chain

I rider that I coach crashed yesterday in a race on an uphill. She was
standing and shifted to a harder gear on the rear derailleur.
Something didn't work with the shift, it jammed or slipped and she lost
her balance and crashed.

I'm trying to sort out the obvious causes. It's a 10 speed Campy drive
train with a Connex chain on a Cervelo 2.5 Chorus with FSA carbon
cranks. Any idea whether these chains are prone to problems (missed or
bad shifts under pressure)? I suppose it could be a derailleur
adustment problem or chain stretching for that matter. But I'd just
like to get people's thoughts on this chain. I tend to be a bit of a
stick in the mud. If it's a 10 speed Shimano drive train, I like to
use a 10 speed Shimano chain. Similarly with Campy. No mixing and
matching. However the bike came supplied with the Connex chain.

Maybe I'm fussing about nothing here and the cause is elsewhere.

Steve Karpik

Old August 3rd 05, 01:58 AM
41

Steve Karpik wrote:
I rider that I coach crashed yesterday in a race on an uphill. She was
standing and shifted to a harder gear on the rear derailleur.
Something didn't work with the shift, it jammed or slipped and she lost
her balance and crashed.

I'm trying to sort out the obvious causes. It's a 10 speed Campy drive
train with a Connex chain on a Cervelo 2.5 Chorus with FSA carbon
cranks. Any idea whether these chains are prone to problems (missed or
bad shifts under pressure)? I suppose it could be a derailleur
adustment problem or chain stretching for that matter.

Wait wait wait... before anything else, you can help settle a recent
controversy the use of this term he what exactly to you mean by
"chain stretching"? Please be as specific as possible.

As to your problem:
1. I've never heard of particular problems with the Connex chain but
others here would know better. They are not as popular as SRAM or S or
C. I doubt though the problem is with the chain, unless there was a
stiff link.
2. Shifting to a smaller rear cog while standing and pedalling hard
going uphill is a tough test. Perhaps too tough. Question: did it jam
or did it slip? There is quite a difference and this might help the
diagnosis. If it jammed, between what and what?

Old August 3rd 05, 03:22 AM
41

41 wrote:
Steve Karpik wrote:
I rider that I coach crashed yesterday in a race on an uphill. She was
standing and shifted to a harder gear on the rear derailleur.
Something didn't work with the shift, it jammed or slipped and she lost
her balance and crashed.

I'm trying to sort out the obvious causes. It's a 10 speed Campy drive
train with a Connex chain on a Cervelo 2.5 Chorus with FSA carbon
cranks. Any idea whether these chains are prone to problems (missed or
bad shifts under pressure)? I suppose it could be a derailleur
adustment problem or chain stretching for that matter.

Wait wait wait... before anything else, you can help settle a recent
controversy the use of this term he what exactly to y ou mean by
"chain stretching"? Please be as specific as possible.

Just to explain a little mo the controversy was not over chain
stretch, rather about what people who are experienced in cycling yet
new to this group mean when they say "chain stretch". More than a
little convoluted, true, but surprise surprise, the exchange got
heated.

Back to your problem. Sorry about the crash and hope it wasn't too bad.
If the chain had jammed you would have seen it and known it, so I
surmise it slipped. Then this is just a missed shift. So, why? Could be
out of adjustment but a better guess might be insufficient lubrication
at the BB cable guides:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/autoshift.html

Old August 3rd 05, 02:01 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Steve Karpik wrote:
I rider that I coach crashed yesterday in a race on an uphill. She was
standing and shifted to a harder gear on the rear derailleur.
Something didn't work with the shift, it jammed or slipped and she lost
her balance and crashed.

I'm trying to sort out the obvious causes.

I would look to see what the causes were. Chain separated?, link
damage?

Doubt it was der adjust since she was going away from the wheel when
shifting. I suspect a damaged chain somehow, perhaps a link problem
which prevented the chain from going thru the rear der, pulling it
backwards, stopping wheel-crash.

Most of the chain issues we see are from poor installation.

Old August 3rd 05, 08:38 PM
MSA

Steve Karpik wrote:
I rider that I coach crashed yesterday in a race on an uphill. She was
standing and shifted to a harder gear on the rear derailleur.
Something didn't work with the shift, it jammed or slipped and she lost
her balance and crashed.

I'm trying to sort out the obvious causes.

The Connex link MUST be installed the right way around. Looking at the
drive side of the bike (from the right), when the snap link is on the
top horizontal length of chain, the cutout should look heart
shaped..i.e, the cut out starts at the top, lowers towards the centre,
and then rises again to the top.

YOU MUST FIT IT THE RIGHT WAY AROUND

--
Mark
______________________________________

Old August 3rd 05, 11:09 PM
John

"MSA" wrote in message
Steve Karpik wrote:
I rider that I coach crashed yesterday in a race on an uphill. She was
standing and shifted to a harder gear on the rear derailleur.
Something didn't work with the shift, it jammed or slipped and she lost
her balance and crashed.

I'm trying to sort out the obvious causes.

The Connex link MUST be installed the right way around. Looking at the
drive side of the bike (from the right), when the snap link is on the top
horizontal length of chain, the cutout should look heart shaped..i.e, the
cut out starts at the top, lowers towards the centre, and then rises again
to the top.

YOU MUST FIT IT THE RIGHT WAY AROUND

--
Mark
______________________________________
Nerves of Steel, Heart of Gold, Knob of Butter

Hey Mark, I've never heard that. I've been using Wipperman and Campy
chains with the connex link for years and have never heard this. I will go
home tonight and check both bikes....see if I notice any difference.

John

Old August 3rd 05, 11:36 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 15:09:59 -0700, "John" wrote:

"MSA" wrote in message

The Connex link MUST be installed the right way around. Looking at the
drive side of the bike (from the right), when the snap link is on the top
horizontal length of chain, the cutout should look heart shaped..i.e, the
cut out starts at the top, lowers towards the centre, and then rises again
to the top.

YOU MUST FIT IT THE RIGHT WAY AROUND

Hey Mark, I've never heard that. I've been using Wipperman and Campy
chains with the connex link for years and have never heard this. I will go
home tonight and check both bikes....see if I notice any difference.

The orientation is also described in the little instruction sheet that
comes with Connex chains (maybe with the link too).

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old August 3rd 05, 11:42 PM

Mark Conyer writes:

I rider that I coach crashed yesterday in a race on an uphill. She
was standing and shifted to a harder gear on the rear derailleur.
Something didn't work with the shift, it jammed or slipped and she
lost her balance and crashed.

I'm trying to sort out the obvious causes.

For that, I believe knowing what occurred is important. Did the chain
skip into free-wheeling or did it jam, and if it jammed, what unjammed
it. We have insufficient information to draw reasonable conclusions.

The Connex link MUST be installed the right way around. Looking at
the drive side of the bike (from the right), when the snap link is
on the top horizontal length of chain, the cutout should look heart
shaped..i.e, the cut out starts at the top, lowers towards the
centre, and then rises again to the top.

YOU MUST FIT IT THE RIGHT WAY AROUND

Could you explain what effect the orientation of the master link has?
If the link can be installed in the wrong orientation, it will be
incorrect as often as not. Can you cite an admonition to that effect
in the Wipperman installation instructions?

http://tinyurl.com/crb2e

I have a hard time with absolute statements to which I can find no
logical supporting evidence. They sound like religious dogma.

Jobst Brandt
Old August 4th 05, 01:01 AM
Eagle Jackson

What happens if fitted with the heart "upside down"? I checked my two
bikes with Connex links and I see one is right side up and the other
upside down. I never noticed any difference in how they rode or
shifted.

Old August 4th 05, 02:15 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 3 Aug 2005 17:01:22 -0700, "Eagle Jackson"
wrote:

What happens if fitted with the heart "upside down"? I checked my two
bikes with Connex links and I see one is right side up and the other
upside down. I never noticed any difference in how they rode or
shifted.

Supposedly it doesn't work so well on very small cogs.

JT

Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com