Squeaky forks

Old August 12th 06, 01:07 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Moo

Default Squeaky forks

My front suspension forks have developed a squeak.... they are SR Suntour
XC60 (from 2003) and I suspect they are not worth fixing and are probably
better just replaced.

Any thoughts on this, currently half price:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=7698

Or any of the others listed here... can't really afford much though..

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/C...sion=PRICE_ASC

Thanks!

--
[slightly] fashionable clothing
www.cafepress.com/sfclothing

Brand new items now being added!

Old August 12th 06, 05:08 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Andy H

"Moo" wrote in message
My front suspension forks have developed a squeak.... they are SR Suntour
XC60 (from 2003) and I suspect they are not worth fixing and are probably
better just replaced.

Any thoughts on this, currently half price:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=7698

Or any of the others listed here... can't really afford much though..

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/C...sion=PRICE_ASC

Thanks!

--
[slightly] fashionable clothing
www.cafepress.com/sfclothing

Brand new items now being added!

If I was on a tight budget I'd probably go for the rockshox dart2

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=13106

based upon an already tried and trusted budget fork. Believe me you're
better off without the rubber gaiters too. They only tend to hold crap in
against the seals.

Andy H

Old August 12th 06, 08:54 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Tom The Great

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 13:07:36 +0100, "Moo"
wrote:

My front suspension forks have developed a squeak.... they are SR Suntour
XC60 (from 2003) and I suspect they are not worth fixing and are probably
better just replaced.

Any thoughts on this, currently half price:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=7698

Or any of the others listed here... can't really afford much though..

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/C...sion=PRICE_ASC

Thanks!

My forks are open, they don't have a boot like yours; so when they get
dirty, and I clean them off they get squeaky. When the oil/grease
seals get dry they like making noise when riding.

Have you checked if you have dry seals?

tom
Old August 12th 06, 09:59 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Moo

wrote:

My front suspension forks have developed a squeak.... they are SR Suntour
XC60 (from 2003) and I suspect they are not worth fixing and are probably
better just replaced.

Any thoughts on this, currently half price:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=7698

Or any of the others listed here... can't really afford much though..

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/C...sion=PRICE_ASC

Thanks!

My forks are open, they don't have a boot like yours; so when they get
dirty, and I clean them off they get squeaky. When the oil/grease
seals get dry they like making noise when riding.

Have you checked if you have dry seals?

tom

Well I have just washed the bike from the last time I went out, always
results in mega squeaky brake discs..

How do I check if I have dry seals? I tried a bit of WD40 around the top to
see if that made a difference but nothing....

Old August 13th 06, 12:45 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Tom The Great

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 21:59:35 +0100, "Moo"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

WD-40 isn't really a lube. It was developed as a Water Dispersant
(The WD part). Some people use a shock grease, applied with clean
fingers, but I use a couple drops of tri-flow. I apply it just above
the fork/shock's seal, and let it fish around. Then I push down hard
on the forks and clean off any dirt pushed up with a dry towel.

This is what I do, I don't know if it's perfect. Just works for me.

later,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com