Q1) Squeaky SPD's Shimano 520's

Old August 21st 06, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Default Q1) Squeaky SPD's Shimano 520's

PUSHERBOT wrote on 21/08/2006 20:17 +0100:
I've got Shimano M520s fitted to my MTB. THey work fine, the only
problem is they squeak annoyingly. Lubrication fixes the problem for a
short while (e.g. 1 or 2 rides) , but causes a little foot-slippage
when clipping in, which I can live with.

So my questions a

1) What's best to lubricate the pedals, I've tried GT45 and a waxy
style chain lube. Is old fashioned grease the way to go or will it
just pick up too much road crap?
2) Where to lubricate - just the springs? The insides of the plates?
3) Are they too loose?- I've got them at minimal tension which works
fine for me.

IME its usually not the pedal but the rubber of the shoe sole squirming
against the pedal body that does the squeaking. Have a look at how the
sole and pedal connect and if necessary do some Stanley knife surgery.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci