Tire Sizes for KH 20

Old July 26th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unicorn

Default Tire Sizes for KH 20

From what I know all the 20" Trials unicycles are actually 19" rimmed.
The description however is 20". This holds true for the tires also. For
example the Maxxis Creepy Crawler is described as a 20X2.5 inch tire.
Is this the same size tire that would fit on a BMX bike? I just got a
KH 20 and just assumed that I could use any decent BMX tire on it. Is
this the case or do I have to get special 19" tires?

Unicorn

--
Unicorn

Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the pedals, and you will
accomplish great feats!
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 26th 07, 03:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

Measuring my KH 20 installed tire diameter, I get 20.5". A Rim Diameter
of 15.5"
My guess is they call it 19" because it uses a fatter tire from the
"mod 20 inch" size trials bike, which is different then a regular 20"
bike tire. Reading the sidewall of my maxxis creepy tire on the KH20 it
says 67-387 (20x2.5).
So where do they get 19 inch from?
I guess, the point is to make sure you are buying a "trials " tire.
I just taped the tire and rim of my cheapo regular 20" uni. It has
rim diameter of 16 3/4" and a tire installed diameter of 19 3/4". It's
tire says 50-406 (20x 1.95). So strange. Both tires are marked
20xsomething, yet the trials rim is 1 1/4" smaller diameter.

--
feel the light
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 26th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
oneisenough

i dont know where they get the measurements from... but a bmx tire will
NOT fit on a trials rim.

--
oneisenough
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 26th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
agentQ

the 20" is referring to the outside diameter of the tire. It needs mod
tire, you can def *not* put a 20" BMX tire on it.

Think of it as frame size. Its a 20" frame, you could install a 20" bmx
style wheelset on that frame.

--
agentQ

*)--SmallSpin-'O,*
'Uneed Films' (http://www.uneedfilms.com)
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 26th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

It's called a 19" because it's a little smaller than a 20" rim. However
this isn't used in the bike fraternity as much, they use the word 'mod'
to refer to 19" rims and tyres. The number refers to the OD of the tyre
anyway, so calling both BMX and mod tyres 20" isn't wrong, the whole
reason mod rims came about was to get a fatter tyre but with the same
OD as a BMX tyre, so it would still fit in the same frame, so they are
intended to be approx. the same outer diamtre. I'm afriad it's just one
of those thigns you have to know if you want to ride trials.

--
kington99

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Old July 26th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unicorn

So then I would guess that any trials tire should fit. I would consider
any 2 1/2 inch tire a trials tire. I don't think that BMX bikes have
anything bigger that 2.1 inch. Would this be a correct assumption?

I am a hardcore MUni rider but I am getting into trials because one I
think that Trials skills will improve my MUni and two because I met a
group of really nice kids who are great on Trials bikes and it is fun
to ride with them. They however all have 26" weels on thier bikes. Is
the 19" Trials tire a common tire? Or is it going to be hard to just
walk into a bike shop and find one?

I hate that about the 24 tires. I can only order them through the
online Unicycle vendors. It just ****es me off.

Unicorn

Old July 26th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
agentQ

any 20(19)x2.5 trials will fit. On MOD bike there is a front and back,
they are not teh same width (and sometimes tred pattern).

However you are wrong about bmx tires. 20x2.25 is pretty common, there
are some new 2.35s out, and there is a 3inch slick bmx tire.

It is quite uncommon to walk into a bike shop and find a trials tire,
let alone a MOD tire. Best luck is internet.

Old July 26th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
agentQ

Someone can correct me here if I'm wrong, I think your only options

Maxxis - creepy crawler
Luna - Trials
Monty (I think there are a couple options)
Tryall - Sticky fingers (or something)

Old July 26th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

Unicorn wrote:
So then I would guess that any trials tire should fit. I would consider
any 2 1/2 inch tire a trials tire. I don't think that BMX bikes have
anything bigger that 2.1 inch. Would this be a correct assumption?

I am a hardcore MUni rider but I am getting into trials because one I
think that Trials skills will improve my MUni and two because I met a
group of really nice kids who are great on Trials bikes and it is fun
to ride with them. They however all have 26" weels on thier bikes. Is
the 19" Trials tire a common tire? Or is it going to be hard to just
walk into a bike shop and find one?

I hate that about the 24 tires. I can only order them through the
online Unicycle vendors. It just ****es me off.

Unicorn

About half of my local bike shops stock mod tyres, you just need to
find one that is geared towards your needs, my experince is that bike
shops are either intended for commuters/road bikes or
mountain/bmx/trials bikes. 26" is also popular for trials, although
I've never worked out why.

--
kington99

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Old July 26th 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
agentQ

kington99 wrote:
About half of my local bike shops stock mod tyres, you just need to find
one that is geared towards your needs, my experince is that bike shops
are either intended for commuters/road bikes or mountain/bmx/trials
bikes. 26" is also popular for trials, although I've never worked out
why.

That depends on where you live and how popular trials is. I have been
into 10-12 bike shops in the last year, not a single one of them had
any trials anything whatsoever. ...yet

--
agentQ

*)--SmallSpin-'O,*
'Uneed Films' (http://www.uneedfilms.com)
http://www.usenet.com

Availability of Better Wheel and Tire Sizes 32GO Recumbent Biking 2 February 2nd 07 04:24 AM
BB sizes?! NickD UK 11 October 5th 05 12:26 PM
Rim Sizes? HardcoreCokerRider Unicycling 22 January 21st 05 07:42 PM
Trek bike weights and tire sizes - ping Mike Jacoubowsky? jj General 7 January 18th 05 11:10 PM
Tube vs Tire sizes Jesse Falsone Techniques 7 December 31st 04 01:58 AM