Standards; always room for one more!

Old December 22nd 17, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Standards; always room for one more!

[non team player comments removed]

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/12/20...up-against-26/

[sarcasm removed]

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 22nd 17, 03:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 22/12/17 12:12, AMuzi wrote:
[non team player comments removed]

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/12/20...up-against-26/

[sarcasm removed]

Nice!

I have an idea for compressed air (or any gas) bearings for bicycle hubs
and BB. They'll require a compressed air cylinder that has pipes to
each hub and the BB. The run times will be similar to battery powered
lights, so everyone will be fine with that, and the friction reduction
will be in the order of at least 15W!!!

Well, didn't ceramic bearings promise 10W? This has to be better...

--
JS
Old December 22nd 17, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 19:12:21 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

snip

Good grief, can't any website manager figure out how not to generate 200
character URLs? WTF ever happened to web design standards?

Anyways...

Zach Overholt must be a newbie or assumes his readers have no knowledge
of bike history (and maybe he's right). There were 700C mountain bikes
sold by Bianch 20+ years ago, long before "29ers" were hip. And of
course 27.5 = 650B which has been around for 100 years or so.

Nearly 1.5 kg of tire per wheel (and tubeless at that). Sacre
avoirdupois, Batman! That mass is partially offset by wallet lightening
at $120-225 per tire. Shoot, my Compass tires suddenly seem like a
bargain. Maybe one can forego the formerly de rigeur boinger fork with
big marshmallows like these; that would be a decent tradeoff and would
further offset the increased mass.

Now, just because I have zero use for tires like this doesn't mean no
one does, I suppose. But yeek! The mass and the cost!
Old December 22nd 17, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/21/2017 10:05 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:

Nearly 1.5 kg of tire per wheel (and tubeless at that). Sacre
avoirdupois, Batman! That mass is partially offset by wallet lightening
at $120-225 per tire. Shoot, my Compass tires suddenly seem like a
bargain. Maybe one can forego the formerly de rigeur boinger fork with
big marshmallows like these; that would be a decent tradeoff and would
further offset the increased mass.

Now, just because I have zero use for tires like this doesn't mean no
one does, I suppose. But yeek! The mass and the cost!

Now now, you're ignoring the advantage of "momentum"! How old-fashioned
to disparage it and talk about mere "mass."

Anyway, I've thought about this a lot, and I'm sure they haven't figured
out the optimum wheel+tire size yet. It's actually 28.15" also known as
715. I'm not buying another mountain bike until they start selling
"seven-fifteens."

(Notice the last two digits are the same in inches or metric. That
proves it's cosmic, man.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 22nd 17, 06:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, December 22, 2017 at 1:12:27 AM UTC, AMuzi wrote:
[non team player comments removed]

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/12/20...up-against-26/

[sarcasm removed]

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Aw, ****. The balloon tyre is resurrected again. Let's see now, it was resurrected as a pavement cruiser in the 'fifties, again at the invention of the mountain bikes in the 'sixties/'seventies when some in Jobst's crowd who weren't as hardarsed as he got tired of riding road bikes off the tarmac, again in the '90s when the leading German Baukast asked Schwalbe to design a tyre that would obviate the unreliable front strut suspension and Schwalbe came up with the Big Apple, and now these incompetent* ******s want to pretend it is all new again? Come on, pull the other one. I ride a Utopia Kranich, which was designed around the then non-existent tyre that would become the Big Apple. I've been doing it for ten years.

*This, from the article Muzi referenced, proves that either the product manager is incompetent as an engineer as well as a marketer, or that the reporter misquoted him, proving his own incompetence:
"Earlier this year at Saddle Drive, Salsa’s Senior Product Manager Joe Meiser said he had been able to run lower pressures on the 27.5″ fat bike tires due to their stiffer side wall and felt that it improved traction on groomed snow trails. It should also stand to reason that lower, stiffer sidewalls will result in better cornering performance on hard pack trails throughout the year."

Nope. Other way round. A soft sidewall keeps more of the stiffer rolling surface in contact with the road, with advantages that surely a bicycle product manager and a bicycle "journalist" shouldn't need spelling out. Here I describe the nett gain in glee
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3798.0
and you'll find lots more relevant information in the rest of the thread.

Andre Jute
Bring back the Doo Dah Dog Band
Old December 22nd 17, 06:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, December 22, 2017 at 2:47:43 AM UTC, James wrote:
On 22/12/17 12:12, AMuzi wrote:
[non team player comments removed]

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/12/20...up-against-26/

[sarcasm removed]

Nice!

I have an idea for compressed air (or any gas) bearings for bicycle hubs
and BB. They'll require a compressed air cylinder that has pipes to
each hub and the BB. The run times will be similar to battery powered
lights, so everyone will be fine with that, and the friction reduction
will be in the order of at least 15W!!!

Don't forget your friends when you're rich after crowd-funding it. It has all the earmarks of a viral groupthink project.

Andre Jute
Mass psychology isn't difficult at all. You went to school with the people you're manipulating.
Old December 22nd 17, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/21/2017 9:05 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
[...]

Well, whether you or I have need or desire is one thing. A
new 26x3.8 584 to replace a recently established 26x4 559 (a
format just barely viable for widespread stock of rims/
tires/ tubes) is quite another.

Seems utterly pointless to me. I view this inherently as a
retailer because I am one. Splitting a marginal product
line into two incompatible but functionally fungible formats
might pump dealer inventories for a while but the turn
doesn't make economic sense from my point of view.

Old December 22nd 17, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, December 21, 2017 at 9:28:55 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

BTW, GTF off the groomed snow trails with a bike. They are groomed for a reason, and its not for un-grooming them with a bike. I'm very conflicted when it comes to bikes on walking or skiing trails. I understand that resorts or parks need to jack up revenue and that bikes are less harmful than, say, horses -- but there is still value to a quiet trail where all you hear is footfalls or pole plants, singing birds, etc. No rattling fat bikes whipping by.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old December 22nd 17, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 22:40:21 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
On 12/21/2017 10:05 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:

Nearly 1.5 kg of tire per wheel (and tubeless at that). Sacre
avoirdupois, Batman! That mass is partially offset by wallet
lightening at $120-225 per tire. Shoot, my Compass tires suddenly
seem like a bargain. Maybe one can forego the formerly de rigeur
boinger fork with big marshmallows like these; that would be a decent
tradeoff and would further offset the increased mass.

Now, just because I have zero use for tires like this doesn't mean no
one does, I suppose. But yeek! The mass and the cost!

Now now, you're ignoring the advantage of "momentum"! How
old-fashioned to disparage it and talk about mere "mass."

Ah, silly me.

Anyway, I've thought about this a lot, and I'm sure they haven't
figured out the optimum wheel+tire size yet. It's actually 28.15" also
known as 715. I'm not buying another mountain bike until they start
selling "seven-fifteens."

If only ShelBroCo was still a going concern (for a variety of reasons).
They'd get it covered.

(Notice the last two digits are the same in inches or metric. That
proves it's cosmic, man.)

Deep. Very deep.
Old December 22nd 17, 08:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

wrote:

[...]

Hey, man, supply side is what counts. Demand side is unimportant.

Japanese standards AMuzi Techniques 1 November 25th 14 09:56 PM
Double standards at work. Simon Mason UK 19 March 6th 07 10:14 PM
Cantilever stud standards? Kendall Techniques 3 August 6th 06 08:15 PM
h*lm*t standards where's the web site? Bryan UK 5 August 18th 05 09:52 AM
Driving standards Tom UK 20 February 11th 04 01:36 AM