Will they ever make a bicycle with both left hand and right hand drives?

Old August 11th 12, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Will they ever make a bicycle with both left hand and right hand drives?

Something bicycle related to contemplate as we are innundated with the Monkey's spam.

In the search for yet more closer spaced gears o you think they will ever build bicycles with both a right hand drive and a left hand drive? A friend and I were discussing the possibility of this with one drive having gears suitable for gently rolling terrain and the other side having a drive with low gears suitable for climbing steep inclines.

We were discussing some of Sheldon's multiple gears in excess of thirty three gears when we thought about a bicycle with two drives. It's more the ideathat some one somwhere will offer such a setup and tout it as the latest and greatest thing that got us wondering. Do you think it'll ever happen? I know that left hand drives exist or existed at one time. I figure that a simple clutch-like mechanism could be designed to fit inside the bottom bracket shell to allow one to switch from right hand high normal gears to left hand super low gears. This way they could have a lot more gears without having to spread the rear triangle ridiculously wide.

Comments?

Cheers
Old August 12th 12, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Aug 11, 4:41*pm, wrote:
[...]

First, I think few people really need more gears than what's available
from common derailleur systems. Second, if you really needed them, I
think there would be a better way to get them than a two-sided drive
system.

The two things one needs from a gearing system is adequate range
(highest to lowest) and suitably small increments between gears.
Those are both available now via regular derailleur systems, or via a
Rohloff, if you have over a thousand bucks to spend just on gears.

My touring bike's derailleur gears give me a range of 530%, which is a
little more than a Rohloff's 14 speed range. I get roughly 10%
increments through most of my range, which is fine for me. Rohloff
users seem happy with about 13% increments. Performance riders seem
to want closer increments, but they seldom want anywhere near that
range.

If I wanted super-close increments between gears plus a super-wide
range, I think I'd look into mating a standard derailleur set with a
wide ratio 3-speed hub gear - and that's old technology. I remember
riding with one guy that had that back in the 1970s.

Major benefit compared to the dual-side plan? Chain marks are only on
one leg! ;-)

- Frank Krygowski
Old August 12th 12, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 13:41:30 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

Sturmey-Archer was building a 3 speed rear hub some 90 years ago. Why
"re-invent the wheel" in order to get one less speed?
Cheers,
John B.
Old August 12th 12, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 16:25:59 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Aug 11, 4:41*pm, wrote:
[...]

I can remember when bicycles had only one speed. The really exotic
ones with two speeds just had another sprocket screwed on the rear
hub. Flip the wheel when you get to the mountains :-)
Cheers,
John B.
Old August 12th 12, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

On Aug 11, 3:41*pm, wrote:
[...]

First, note that if you have two separate freewheel drivetrains, the
higher geared one will overrun the lower geared one. No fancy BB
clutch required.

Second, how much room do you expect would be left to separate the
flanges of a 130mm hub with a 10 speed cluster on each side?

Chalo
Old August 12th 12, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, August 11, 2012 4:41:30 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
[...]

What ever happened to that automatic crank? Wasn't there a bicycle crank that automatically adjusted to load by making the crank sprocket larger or smaller?
Seems to me that would be another good solution.

Old August 12th 12, 08:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Aug 11, 1:41 pm, wrote:
[...]

Great! Like I dont' have enough trouble keeping one pantleg out of
the chain!
Old August 12th 12, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

On 11-8-2012 22:41, wrote:
[...]

been tried befo
http://www.cyclingburylancs.com/velocio.htm

Other use was BMX with a loose screw on freewheel, to give a second
ratio a couple of wheelrevolutions after the start

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

Left or Right hand Rolf Unicycling 1 February 17th 08 07:29 AM
Left/hand right hand brain? make me smrt? unibikeling Unicycling 1 September 3rd 07 04:05 AM
Televised fight: Mossad trained hand-to-hand fighter with Jake McCrann War Office Australia 0 July 25th 07 09:08 PM
Left hand threads. Moike Australia 25 November 27th 06 03:30 AM
Torqing down left hand BB cup. Wasatch5k Techniques 3 May 7th 05 12:52 AM