Firecrackers!

Old June 19th 04, 03:50 PM
Karen M.

Default Firecrackers!

Hi folks--
This really takes the cake...some teen weenie threw a strand of
firecrackers at me Thursday evening.

I was riding up Wayne Road in Westland (Detroit 'burb). A small red
car passed, and I saw something sail out of the passenger's hand. It
was smoking, so I guessed a cigarette. Then it landed in the lane as
my front wheel rolled past, and I realized that it was a cluster of
short red paper sticks. The brain said "pour it on before it
explodes!" and I did; it went off as the car behind me passed it.

The driver had to slow for a traffic light, enabling me to
**almost** get close enough to see the tag. But they were watching me,
and did an emergency turn down a side street.

Yes, I called the cops.

Of all the stupid, bonehead, malicious things to do...I'm sure it
was a spur of the moment idea, but I could have been hurt. Another
driver could have been hurt, Heck, if the passenger hadn't tossed them
far enough, he could have been hurt (in my dreams).

I have buddies who are reporters for the two Detroit newspapers,
but I am reluctant to tell them about this incident (although it would
make them a great story) because of copycat ramifications.

Geeze louise.

--Karen M.
PO'ed at teenagers
Old June 19th 04, 05:31 PM
S o r n i

Karen M. wrote:
[...]

First of all, glad you weren't hurt! Great reaction and subsequent
response. Too bad you couldn't catch up to 'em, but maybe your description
to the cops will help bust them down the road (so to speak).

Bill "no real second of all, I guess" S.

Old June 19th 04, 08:13 PM
psycholist

"Karen M." wrote in message
om...
[...]

I was run down by a teenager talking on a cell phone. Bad enough we allow
them to drive at all. But we allow them to drive AND talk on cell phones
while the car is full of their crazy, screaming buddies. Eight days in the
hospital and six months in rehab and I never got so much as a call of
concern from her, either. In my case, it wasn't a malicious act ... just
stupidity. But it's shameful that a 17 year old can be legally driving a
car full of other kids and be talking on a phone. For that matter, I don't
think ANYONE should be allowed to drive and talk on a phone ... but that's
OT.

Bob C.

Old June 20th 04, 01:11 AM
John

(Karen M.) wrote in message . com...
[...]

You say this was in Detroit? Then you're lucky to be
alive...regardless of the firecrackers or your bicycle.

I've been thinking about picking up some of these to deal with dogs.
Of course trying to light an explosive while dealing with traffic and
dogs doesn't sound like too good of an idea, but I doubt it's much
harder than trying to aim a can of Halt at 20mph.
Old June 20th 04, 02:00 AM
Marlene Blanshay

"S o r n i" wrote in message
news
Karen M. wrote:
[...]

Stupid little brats! I bet they probably just thought it would scare you,
they probably didn't even think of it hurting anyone. THey probably just
wanted to scare you with the noise. Most teens aren't really malicious, just
reckless and heedless and they don't think of consequences. Lucky you
weren't hurt, but too bad you didn'tget their license number.

Old June 20th 04, 02:05 AM
Marlene Blanshay

"psycholist" wrote in message

"Karen M." wrote in message
[...]

OMG! I think I remember your story, it sounds familiar.

A friend of mine was actually nearly INTENTIONALLY run down recently. He was
out on a road in a sort of remote, semi-burb-rural area frequented by
cyclists, when a teenager or young guy, maybe 20, yelled out the window 'get
off the road, asshole!' My friend flipped him the bird, and then the stopped
and backed up, and tried to run him down! My friend jumped off the road
into a ditch, and then the van zoomed off. My friend got back on his bike
and continued on, then sees the same van coming straight at him in the
opposite lane, then swerved into the oncoming lane and tried to run my
friend down again! Once again, he ran off the road into a field. THe morons
sped off. No damage,no injuries but also no license plate number. I did say
earlier that most teens aren't malicious, but these guys obviously were!

Old June 20th 04, 02:48 AM
Badger_South

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 21:00:29 -0400, "Marlene Blanshay"
wrote:

"S o r n i" wrote in message
news
Karen M. wrote:
[...]

Yeah thought they'd scare the biker. Just like the guy who put down 4 large
logs across the bike trail, around four blind corners - any one of which
could have caused serious injury. (He didn't like the fact that I blessed
out his large rottwelier for chasing me.) He 'claimed' the dog put the logs
on the trail - yeah right at four exact right angles. Geometry dog.

He's lucky I was feeling charitable and resisted the urge to spray his dog
and throw him in the river. ;-p

-Badger

Old June 20th 04, 05:20 AM
Michael J. Klein

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 21:05:14 -0400, "Marlene Blanshay"
wrote:

A friend of mine was actually nearly INTENTIONALLY run down recently. He was
out on a road in a sort of remote, semi-burb-rural area frequented by
cyclists, when a teenager or young guy, maybe 20, yelled out the window 'get
off the road, asshole!' My friend flipped him the bird, and then the stopped
and backed up, and tried to run him down! My friend jumped off the road
into a ditch, and then the van zoomed off. My friend got back on his bike
and continued on, then sees the same van coming straight at him in the
opposite lane, then swerved into the oncoming lane and tried to run my
friend down again! Once again, he ran off the road into a field. THe morons
sped off. No damage,no injuries but also no license plate number. I did say
earlier that most teens aren't malicious, but these guys obviously were!

And people ask me why I pack whenever I come back to the US.
Michael J. Klein
Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings