A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Mountain Biking
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

More Hate Mail from a Typical Mountain Biker



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 22nd 03, 03:18 PM
Stephen Baker
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default More Hate Mail from a Typical Mountain Biker

Ken says:

Sheesh. Arguing with zealots is such a waste of time.


If you can make the next logical step from there, and live by it, you will be
doing well, Grasshopper....

Steve
Ads
  #2  
Old October 22nd 03, 04:21 PM
Justine7458
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default More Hate Mail from a Typical Mountain Biker

Mike Vandeman wrote:
At 10:05 AM 10/21/03 -0700, Mike Stewart wrote:
At 06:31 PM 10/17/2003 -0700, you wrote:
1. You said I exaggerated. That's a lie.

No, that's a subjective assessment.

"I think you exaggerated" would be a "subjective assessment". "You
exaggerated" is a lie. It doesn't surprize me that a mountain biker
dioesn't know the difference between truth and lies.
2. You just agreed with me: "mountain bikes don't warrant the
attention..."

means that the damage they do is acceptable.
You continue to miss the point of relative severity here.

As I said, you continue to rationalize mountain biking by claiming that
it's less damaging than something else. Is burglary okay, just because
it's less harmful than murder? Of course not!
3. You threatened to join IMBA, to retaliate against me, and even
carried out

your threat.
Technically, a threat is an expression of intent. Since I had
already joined

IMBA before responding to you, I was not expressing intent but rather
reporting the facts. If you find it threatening for someone to join the
IMBA, then I suppose that's your choice.
You used it as a threat, to intimidate me. Of course, it didn't work.
In other words, you are a 100% typical mountain biker.

There is no such thing. Some mountain bikers are honest and pure
and always

try to do the right thing, and some are selfish inconsiderate assholes.
Most are somewhere in between. Just like life. Surely you understand
this reality of statistical variation but choose to ignore it because
stereotypes are so much simpler.
100% of the mountain bikers I have met have lied. That is statistically
improbable, but true. It proves that mountain bikers are different.
If you weren't so busy lying, you might get some respect. If you pass
my email

to your parents, as you promised (mountain bikers are NOTORIOUSLY
unreliable), you will see that they are very disappointed.
I hate to disrupt your exaggerated stereotype of unreliability, but
here's part

of my mother's response: "You, as a son, are not only a thrill but the
farthest thing from a disappointment. You are considered as a kind and
caring person in regards to the environment and others." Of course, she
may not realize what a belligerent, aggressive, unreliable, lying,
nature hater I am...
True. Mothers wear rose-colored glasses, especially when outsiders are
concerned. I'm not surprized that she doesn't understand the damage that
mountain biking does. She has YOU for a teacher.
No parent I have ever met would teach their kid to lie. You do it,
because you

want to get your way. Mountain bikers are like that: belligerent,
aggressive, and dishonest.
I don't have time to teach all mountain bikers ethics, but I will
give you ONE

more chance to prove that you have a shred of integrity, by how you
respond. Good luck.
In the end, I do appreciate what folks like you say and do for the
sake of the

environment, that's why I joined the Sierra Club, and give money to
Greenpeace, and even voted for
Mr.Nader in the last election. But if Greenpeace spent their time and
energy trying to ban scuba diving because divers often insist on
touching marine life with their bare hands (which can cause disease
and even death in some species), then I would stop supporting them.
As I said, you value human pleasure above wildlife protection -- like
ALL mountain bikers.
It's not because scuba diving is harmless to the environment,
but rather

because it is more important to address the unconscionable mass
polluting of the oceans by government and mega-corporations around the
world, It's all about relative severity. Until you get that concept, I'm
afraid you will just continue to be a frustrated and angry man (not a
lie, just another subjective assessment, take it or leave it).
I just tell the truth -- something you have yet to learn, although you
should have known by kindergarten.
Have a good day.
- Mike

Mike Stewart wrote: Yep, you got me. I'm one of
those mountain bikers. I didn't mention it because I don't think its
relevant, not because I wasn't being honest enough to admit it.
Actually, I have two mountain bikes. Twice the evil.
I am curious as to how you figured my mountain bike status given that:
(1) I didn't lie to you. Your letters did frighten me, and I did join
the IMBA immediately after reading them.
(2) I didn't imply that what mountain bikes are doing is ok, that's your
inference. I only pointed out that in the greater reality of
environmental issues, mountain bikes do not warrant the attention
you are giving them.
(3) I didn't threaten you.
My parents must be pretty disappointed? Well I'm sure they're not
thrilled with me but I wouldn't go so far as to say they are
disappointed. I'll forward your email to them anyway, just to make sure.
Still, I don't see what they have to do with this. Seems to me like a
pretty desperate attempt on your part to make me feel bad about myself
or something.
Happy Friday.
- Mike
At 06:01 PM 10/16/2003 -0700, you wrote: One way you can tell that you
are dealing with a mountain biker is that:
(1) They lie. A LOT.
(2) They tell you that they aren't as bad as someone else, implying that
what they are doing is therefore okay.
(3) They threaten you in some way. I guess you must be a mountain biker,
although you weren't honest enough to admit it. Didn't your parents
teach you to tell the truth? Most parents DO, you know. They must be
pretty disappointed....
Mike Stewart wrote: Mike - Just ran across some
of your letters on the web regarding mountain biking. http://home.pac-
bell.net/mjvande/wc14.htmhttp://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/wc14.htm htt-
p://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/mtb121.htmhttp://home.pacbell.net/mjvand-
e/mtb121.htm
"One look at a mountain bike is enough to tell you that it is up to no
good: the knobby tires are designed to rip up the soil, and the
suspension systems are designed to insulate the rider from the shocks,
as they beat the trail to a pulp."
"We are literally creating a generation that is too lazy to walk..."
Frightening stuff. Truly, something needs to be done. Your painfully
exaggerated descriptions of mountain bikes and their irresponsible,
environmentally unconscious owners has already motivated me to join the
IMBA. I do share your environmental concerns in general, but your focus
on mountain bikes as a nature damaging component is like complaining
that kids are spitting in the river downstream from the Dow chemical
plant. Your target cause is just, but your aim is senseless.
- Mike
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans
("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting
auto dependence and road construction.)
http://home.pacbell.net/mjvandehttp:...ll.net/mjvande
===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans
("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting
auto dependence and road construction.)
http://home.pacbell.net/mjvandehttp:...ll.net/mjvande


Let's argue about something meaningful, like Campy vs. Shimano, Ksyrium
vs. Zipp, steel vs. carbon or Coke vs. Pepsi.








--
--------------------------

Posted via cyclingforums.com
http://www.cyclingforums.com
  #3  
Old October 22nd 03, 05:00 PM
Chris Glidden
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default More Hate Mail from a Typical Mountain Biker


"Justine7458" wrote
SNIP
Let's argue about something meaningful, like Campy vs. Shimano, Ksyrium
vs. Zipp, steel vs. carbon or Coke vs. Pepsi.

Or snipping meaningless content vs. not snipping...

cg


  #4  
Old October 22nd 03, 05:02 PM
Sorni
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default More Hate Mail from a Typical Mountain Biker

"Justine7458" wrote in message
...
Mike Vandeman wrote:


{SEE THIS??? THIS IS A SNIP!!!}

Let's argue about something meaningful, like Campy vs. Shimano, Ksyrium
vs. Zipp, steel vs. carbon or Coke vs. Pepsi.


So you left hundreds of lines of Vandedrivel just to tack on that tacky
little...uh, tack-on?

--------------------------

Posted via cyclingforums.com


Now THERE's a shock.

Bill "maroon convention around here lately" S.


  #5  
Old October 23rd 03, 04:13 PM
Mike Vandeman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default More Hate Mail from a Typical Mountain Biker

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:02:16 GMT, "Sorni" wrote:

.."Justine7458" wrote in message
...
.. Mike Vandeman wrote:
..
..{SEE THIS??? THIS IS A SNIP!!!}
..
.. Let's argue about something meaningful, like Campy vs. Shimano, Ksyrium
.. vs. Zipp, steel vs. carbon or Coke vs. Pepsi.
..
..So you left hundreds of lines of Vandedrivel just to tack on that tacky
..little...uh, tack-on?

Yes. You guys are BY FAR my best publicists.
===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
  #6  
Old October 23rd 03, 09:21 PM
Stephen Baker
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default More Hate Mail from a Typical Mountain Biker

Jeff says:

Oh wait, I am not a biker so I never lie, which means you are not talking to
me.


Did you say something? ;-)

Steve "well, SOMEONE had to beat Mikey to it....."
  #8  
Old October 24th 03, 04:38 PM
Stephen Baker
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default More Hate Mail from a Typical Mountain Biker

Gary S says:

Or, are you the source of all truth?


Do you answer your own questions ALL the time, Gary?
;-))
  #9  
Old October 24th 03, 09:21 PM
DaveWV
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default More Hate Mail from a Typical Mountain Biker

Can any one please explain why any of you respond to Vandeman's idiotic
posts? Its like arguing with a tree stump (only a tree stump is more
intelligent.) He is a waste of bandwidth and time.
--------------Dave



--
Come ride in West Virginia!

--------------------------

Posted via cyclingforums.com
http://www.cyclingforums.com
  #10  
Old October 25th 03, 10:42 PM
Colin Swan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default More Hate Mail from a Typical Mountain Biker

On 25 Oct 2003 06:11:21 +0950, DaveWV
wrote:

Can any one please explain why any of you respond to Vandeman's idiotic
posts? Its like arguing with a tree stump (only a tree stump is more
intelligent.) He is a waste of bandwidth and time.
--------------Dave


I actually thought we'd cracked it in this thread - it was 3 days
without a response, and then Mike responded himself!

Hey everybody, if you ignore him, he might even go away!


--
Colin Swan
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mountain biker in coma after fall, not expected to live DanTheMantisMan Mountain Biking 1 October 7th 03 12:29 PM
Sierra Club gives Mountain biker Environmental Justice Award Paul MacIntyre Mountain Biking 0 October 3rd 03 02:38 AM
Mountain Biker Finally Admits: NARROW TRAILS CANNOT BE SHARED! Stephen Baker Mountain Biking 2 September 23rd 03 05:12 PM
Classic Quotes by Typical Idiot Mountain Bikers John Morgan Mountain Biking 4 August 31st 03 02:53 AM
Mountain Biker Tries to Claim that Hikers Do More Damage Rice Mountain Biking 0 July 13th 03 03:40 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.