Dust devil

Old July 4th 03, 05:55 AM
Raptor

Default Dust devil

I rode through a dust devil today on my LSD road ride. I watched it
form in the dust on the far side of the road in front of me, then cross
the road. It largely disappeared when it cleaned the dust out but was
swirling stuff on the road around.

When I hit it, it was SLAM...SLAM. Two opposing 20-mph wind gusts in
opposite directions, about a second apart. I was ready for it just in
case. Had I not been, it might have caused me to swerve dangerously but
wasn't enough to toss me off.

"I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we could to protect
our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security."
--Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Old July 4th 03, 10:35 PM
TBGibb

In article , Raptor writes:

I rode through a dust devil today on my LSD road ride. I watched it
form in the dust on the far side of the road in front of me, then cross
the road. It largely disappeared when it cleaned the dust out but was
swirling stuff on the road around.

When I hit it, it was SLAM...SLAM. Two opposing 20-mph wind gusts in
opposite directions, about a second apart. I was ready for it just in
case. Had I not been, it might have caused me to swerve dangerously but
wasn't enough to toss me off.

I rode into one that was quite cool (on a hot summer day, it would have been
wonderful except for the face full of dirt I got), what temp did you notice? I
only remember wind from one direction. Since mine was conducting cool air down
from higher up a counter-rotation wouldn't be surprising.

Tom Gibb
Old July 5th 03, 03:54 AM
Raptor

TBGibb wrote:
In article , Raptor writes:

I rode through a dust devil today on my LSD road ride. I watched it
form in the dust on the far side of the road in front of me, then cross
the road. It largely disappeared when it cleaned the dust out but was
swirling stuff on the road around.

When I hit it, it was SLAM...SLAM. Two opposing 20-mph wind gusts in
opposite directions, about a second apart. I was ready for it just in
case. Had I not been, it might have caused me to swerve dangerously but
wasn't enough to toss me off.

I rode into one that was quite cool (on a hot summer day, it would have been
wonderful except for the face full of dirt I got), what temp did you notice? I
only remember wind from one direction. Since mine was conducting cool air down
from higher up a counter-rotation wouldn't be surprising.

Tom Gibb

It was too quick to really notice a temp. difference, but since you ask,
I think it was notably warmer. The ambient was about 93F.