Tire pressure recommendations

Old November 11th 04, 02:00 AM
Warren

"Jim Flom" wrote in message
news:GVykd.136805$df2.11836@edtnps89...
"Warren" wrote...

105-120 psi is a good place to start with about 10 psi less in the front
tire.

What's the rationale behind ten pounds less in the front Warren?

So it doesn't bounce around (less of your weight on it) as much, especially
in corners.

-WG

Old November 11th 04, 04:53 PM
John Everett

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:53:22 -0500, gym gravity
wrote:

Philip W. Moore, Jr. wrote:
Does anybody have links to websites that discuss suggested tire pressures
for various types of terrain and weather experienced during racing? I've
typically run my psi at 120 regardless of the terrain or weather out of
habit, but have been told by some seasoned racing vets that I should lower
the psi to around 100.

I'm more interested in analysis than preference on this one...

http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/rolling-resistance.html

In the above, "These comparative values" implies there is some actual
data somewhere, but it's not on the cited page. Where might one find
it?

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

Old November 11th 04, 05:11 PM
gym gravity

Warren wrote:

Philip W. Moore, Jr. wrote:
I'm more interested in analysis than preference on this one...

Please! Jobst is the bozo who told Carl and I that we needn't bother putting
more than 120psi in our track tires. Then Jobst started quoting his outdated
and irrelevant tire studies that do not include any tires made during the
last 3-5 years nor any Continentals.

Well, the OP was looking for an analysis, rather than a preference. At
least by posting what I did, now he has an analysis (of sorts) as well
as your preference.

For the OP who I presume was asking about road racing, the best pressure
will depend on the road's surface, his weight, cornering ability, length of
race, wet or dry roads, etc.

Old November 11th 04, 05:21 PM
Robert Chung

http://www.terrymorse.com/bike/rolres.html

Old November 12th 04, 03:48 PM
Tom Kunich

Philip W. Moore, Jr. wrote:
Does anybody have links to websites that discuss suggested tire

pressures
for various types of terrain and weather experienced during racing?

I've
typically run my psi at 120 regardless of the terrain or weather out of
habit, but have been told by some seasoned racing vets that I should

lower
the psi to around 100.

I'm more interested in analysis than preference on this one...

http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/rolling-resistance.html

Please! Jobst is the bozo who told Carl and I that we needn't bother putting
more than 120psi in our track tires. Then Jobst started quoting his outdated
and irrelevant tire studies that do not include any tires made during the
last 3-5 years nor any Continentals.

So, Warren, what difference do you believe there is between "new"
tires and the series that Jobst tested?

For the OP who I presume was asking about road racing, the best pressure
will depend on the road's surface, his weight, cornering ability, length of
race, wet or dry roads, etc.

105-120 psi is a good place to start with about 10 psi less in the front
tire.

The optimal pressure depends on a group of variables. What about rider
weight and tire size? Tractions isn't going to change much regardless
of tire pressure.

Generally the upshot of it is that higher pressure equals lower
rolling resistance, higher incidence of flats and cord failures. Lower
pressure has fewer flats, very slightly higher rolling resistance and
generally better ride.

As it turns out the tire pressures between 95 and 120 are a good
compromise.

Road tire life span cheg Techniques 77 June 25th 04 06:44 AM
Tire size for 180 lb rider David Kerber General 36 May 29th 04 11:38 AM
Trials tire pressure Rayden Unicycling 10 May 17th 04 11:29 PM
Pumping up tire on disc - how much pressure? Jens Kurt Heycke Techniques 5 February 28th 04 09:58 PM