Replace Shimano 600EX crank set replacement

Old April 3rd 21, 11:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Replace Shimano 600EX crank set replacement

On Friday, April 2, 2021 at 3:51:03 PM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:
This is my MTB in fairly clean condition:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy5.JPG
--
Regards, Joerg

Is that rear rack homemade? Guessing rack mounts do not work on a fully suspended mountain bikes with the rack attaching below the seatpost and at the rear dropouts.
Old April 3rd 21, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:
On Friday, April 2, 2021 at 3:51:03 PM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:
This is my MTB in fairly clean condition:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy5.JPG
--
Regards, Joerg

Is that rear rack homemade? Guessing rack mounts do not work on a fully
suspended mountain bikes with the rack attaching below the seatpost and
at the rear dropouts.

The black rear rack looks to be an off the shelf part, but the aluminum
bracket below holding Joerg’s battery pack does look to be a custom job.

Old April 3rd 21, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 3:42:37 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, April 2, 2021 at 3:08:46 PM UTC-5, wrote:
6,000 miles a year until two years ago when it dropped to 5,500 and then last year when I barely made 4,000 with the F-ing lockdown.

Did the lockdown in California make it illegal for you to leave your house and ride alone? Or did all of the group rides in your area get canceled due to the lockdown? And you being a very sociable, loving person, would never ever ride alone. You have to be riding with someone to go out for a ride.. Or are you simply blaming someone else you don't like for choosing to ride less last year?

The lockdown reduced my mileage because I wasn't commuting, and I was working a lot and didn't have the discipline to get up from my desk and go for a ride -- which also didn't help my weight. Commuting is compelled mileage, and even my relatively short commute was good for my fitness. I've really had to work at getting my daily mileage back up and throwing in rides that at least equaled my commute. I don't know what accounts for Tom's drop in mileage, but one would assume growing older does not help. I am not anticipating getting stronger as I grow older.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 3rd 21, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/3/2021 5:31 AM, wrote:
On Friday, April 2, 2021 at 7:55:49 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/2/2021 1:23 AM, Luns Tee wrote:
On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 1:01:27 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
Shift ramps and pins and such are necessary with modern
flat-face chain. Older rivet-sticks-out chain shifts
acceptably well, as JOerg notes, without them.

That's a good point. I'm just glad that the spacing between chainrings on my 10s Veloce crank seems to work just fine with the 8s chain I use. The chainrings, as with on the 600EX crank before it, wear a spray of scratches on the inner face from upshifts. Not that it matters, but I do wonder if the modern flat-face chains are kinder on the chainrings than the rivets of older chains.

110 and 74mm rings are plentiful in USA (where are you?)

Perhaps I should have been more specific. I have a few constraints, which I haven't been able to simultaneously meet. I could compromise, but staying with my existing crank is already a very acceptable compromise that's very tough to beat. I'm looking for:

1) Matched ramp/pinned 52/42/30 rings. These are common in 130/74, but in 110/74, I don't see 52/42/30 sets, only individual rings. A la carte, the rings aren't necessarily optimized to each other they way original sets are. I'm sure they still work just fine, and I know I just said I was toying with the thought of undermining this very feature on my current crank, but I'd like to keep the current quiet shifts available as an option.

2) Aesthetics: I want the transition from bolt hole to the ring to be the classic V flare rather than the more brutal straight T junction that some more modern rings use.

3) Price. The individual Sugino and TA rings I've seen for sale add up to twice what I paid for my then-new Campy crank, rings included. This same matter being what led Joerg to buy a crank just for its rings, I'd like to find a 110/74 52/42/30 crank to harvest rings from, but haven't found such an animal.

I'm in Berkeley CA, and chatting with the buyer for the local bike Co-Op, he bemoaned how suddenly once abundant parts can suddenly vanish. I forgot how this came about - it may have been my own observations buying a 7-speed HG50 cassette around when they were discontinued - but I recall him saying he was surprised how suddenly certain chainrings became unavailable, and that he would have stocked up on more if only he had known. I somehow remembered the anecdote as referring to 110/74, but not being in the market for said rings at the time could well remember wrong - maybe he was talking about 54mm instead.

You're right about 110/74 cranks and ring sets being mostly
26.36.48.
For 52.42.30 go Campagnolo. New in box Race Triples $149.95,
black with steel rings. Not more than three decent chainrings.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

No Andy. I don't think recommending a Campagnolo triple is right in this case. Square taper bottom bracket in ISO for Campy instead of the more available JIS for Shimano. And worst of all, 135mm bolt circle diameter. Wiggle has some TA 135mm bcd rings listed. 53-52-50 for outer. 39-40-42 for middle. $83 outer, $41 middle. BUT, thankfully Campy did use the 74mm bcd inner ring. I have a 24 tooth on my Veloce triple. 52-42-24. Great for mountain riding in Colorado. 24x28 comfortably got me up the Rockies. Hardest climb was along the Missouri River near St. Louis where I was glad to have a 24x28 low.

AND I am going to argue with you about the steel rings. My Centaur triple has aluminum rings. A Google search showed pictures on eBay of Campy triples, Record, Chorus, Centaur, Veloce. All aluminum rings. Maybe the Mirage triple had steel rings. I can't really tell from the pictures on Google. Is the Mirage the one you are referring to?

Those are all discontinued. And I suggested the Race
Triple[1] only because of his unusual[2] chainring sizes.

[1]Black arms, black finish steel rings. Also discontinued,
as are the Shimano 110/74 series.

[2]Not bad choices, just unpopular in 110/74 now

Old April 3rd 21, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 4/2/21 3:56 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

[...]

Sorry about that Joerge. My trick memory had me remembering that you lived around Santa Cruz and worked in Silicon Valley.

No 10 horses would be able to drag me to live in Silicon Valley, or in
any urban environment for that matter :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old April 3rd 21, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 4/3/21 8:36 AM, Ralph Barone wrote:
wrote:
On Friday, April 2, 2021 at 3:51:03 PM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:
This is my MTB in fairly clean condition:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy5.JPG
--
Regards, Joerg

Is that rear rack homemade? Guessing rack mounts do not work on a fully
suspended mountain bikes with the rack attaching below the seatpost and
at the rear dropouts.

The black rear rack looks to be an off the shelf part, but the aluminum
bracket below holding Joerg’s battery pack does look to be a custom job.

The black rack is a boom type and it began to buckle on rough rides. So
I built the back out to be more like it is on a motorcycle. That
required the manufacturing of a fairly precise thick bracket but luckily
one of my riding buddies was a machinist before he retired. So he made
that. The aluminum channel acts as a fender at the same time.

The bike also got the longest quality seat post I could find, for extra
rear-end sturdiness. That stopped the frame creaking on gnarly trails.
The downside is that the seat height can no longer be easily adjusted
for other riders. The upside is that this rear-end is now so tough that
you could almost sit on it (and on very steep descents I do).

Before I started homebrewing I regularly transported growlers in the
panniers via singletrack. You just had to make sure they are
offroad-safe (stainless steel) and be careful opening them afterwards
(KABOOM).

The top trunk can be removed and below it is a homemade loading platform
to which boxes and stuff can be strapped. I have transported heavy
client gear and packages on that. The longer route to the next Fedex
office is more fun because most of it is singletrack. This one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuKwBGT6am8

When I need stuff from Home Depot I sometimes use the MTB because of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44zqIKf2T_I

Life is good!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old April 3rd 21, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 4/3/21 8:53 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 3:42:37 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, April 2, 2021 at 3:08:46 PM UTC-5, wrote:
6,000 miles a year until two years ago when it dropped to 5,500 and then last year when I barely made 4,000 with the F-ing lockdown.

Did the lockdown in California make it illegal for you to leave your house and ride alone? Or did all of the group rides in your area get canceled due to the lockdown? And you being a very sociable, loving person, would never ever ride alone. You have to be riding with someone to go out for a ride. Or are you simply blaming someone else you don't like for choosing to ride less last year?

The lockdown reduced my mileage because I wasn't commuting, and I was working a lot and didn't have the discipline to get up from my desk and go for a ride ...

You've got to do that. I am now largely retired but still have to help
some clients when they are in a pickle. However, there are days when I
have to tell them that I have a "prior commitment".

-- which also didn't help my weight. Commuting is compelled mileage,
and even my relatively short commute was good for my fitness. I've
really had to work at getting my daily mileage back up and throwing in
rides that at least equaled my commute. I don't know what accounts for
Tom's drop in mileage, but one would assume growing older does not help.
I am not anticipating getting stronger as I grow older.

No but then you'll hopefully have more time. After I finally was able to
convince a friend to retire and we were riding along he said "Traffic is
always less on Saturdays, isn't it?" ... "Hey, this happens to be
Tuesday!" ... "Oh, yes, right, it is indeed, and I can ride any day now!"

This Thursday one of my retired riding buddies had a heart attack during
a break up in the hills (after a stent procedure he's ok now). Will that
put a crimp into his riding? Never.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old April 3rd 21, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 8:53:28 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I'm in exactly the same position. By this time I would normally have 1,200 miles in a nasty winter like we've had but right now i have half of that.
Old April 3rd 21, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 11:44:17 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
[...]

The 88 year old riding buddy we have cannot ride until they use electroshock to put his heart back on rhythm. I don't know what that is but he seems to have had the problem before.
Old April 3rd 21, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 4/3/21 12:45 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Probably controlled defibrillation. My buddy is much younger,
super-sporty and fit. On a hill I can't hold a candle to his riding.
However, stuff happens. That's why it is important that as many people
as possible know the symptoms of cardiac issues or stroke and everyone
should learn CPR.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/