Bicycle Signal Traffic Lights

Old May 31st 07, 10:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
rooman[_168_]

Default Bicycle Signal Traffic Lights

In a recent forum elsewhere
a suggestion was made that the traffic signal for bicycles at Flinders
Street Station (entry to Swanston Walk from St Kilda Rd) is not visible
enough and many riders don't see it in the plethora of signs and signals
and they wait for the main green light, and dont clear the intersection
early, thus being in danger in front of cars entering the intersection
on the green and blocking up the narrow bicycle lane in front of the
station forcing riders onto the road and footpath etc...

This is probably only one of such hard to see bicycle signal traffic
lights ( regulars know it, but newbies wouldnt expect it to give them
priority it seems)

So , in thinking about these signals and their overall effectiveness
and knowing they are mandated by the Australian Road Rules and that
design is in Schedule4 ( silhouette profile of green yellow or red
bicycle on black background) I asked VicRoads do they have a bigger one
than the 200mm version they now use.

Short answer is "NO, but we will look at it if its needed."

- Ok , now the fun starts, in your opinion ( commuters etc) are they
clearly visible enough for you when approaching?
- Do you see them in all conditions?
- Could they be improved?,
if so how ?
( black background shield?, larger graphic of bicycle?, bigger signal
size? etc).

I know from many trips along the Esplanade at Port Phillip and Port
Melbourne where the signals are used on the bike paths beside the road
to control bikes at pedestrian crossings , they are ineffective and I
rarely see them being observed, riders slowing or stopping for them (
obviously they can be ignored, but perhaps too they cannot be
differentiated as they are so hard to pick out at times.

Over to you, try and keep on topic, this isnt about running lights, its
about seeing them in the first place and locating them where they can be
effective ( if they ever can )

VicRoads are listening and want feedback on this. Here's a chance to
actually get something looked at that effects many of us when we get
into the city. The comments add to the mix along with other
investigations, photos, comparisons , site inspections of locations
ID'd as suspect and dangerous or ineffective etc.
Thanks

--
rooman

Old June 1st 07, 07:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_238_]

rooman Wrote:
[font=Times New Roman][font=Times New Roman]In a recent forum elsewhere
a suggestion was made that the traffic signal for bicycles at Flinders
Street Station (entry to Swanston Walk from St Kilda Rd) is not visible
enough and many riders don't see it in the plethora of signs and signals
and they wait for the main green light, and dont clear the intersection
early, thus being in danger in front of cars entering the intersection
on the green and blocking up the narrow bicycle lane in front of the
station forcing riders onto the road and footpath etc...

Pity the 'Green Wave technology'
(http://www.cykelby.dk/english.asp#wave) couldn't be of assistance
here, although IMHO the issue here for road users stems from visual
overload, confusing signage and a big lump of lack of awareness.

--
cfsmtb

Old June 4th 07, 01:09 AM posted to aus.bicycle
EuanB[_77_]

cfsmtb Wrote:
Pity the 'Green Wave technology'
(http://www.cykelby.dk/english.asp#wave) couldn't be of assistance
here, although IMHO the issue here for road users stems from visual
overload, confusing signage and a big lump of lack of awareness.

I don't have a problem seeing it but I know where it is. If the
junction was new to me then I may miss it, there's just so much going
on in that junction.

--
EuanB

Old June 4th 07, 03:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Jun 4, 10:09 am, EuanB EuanB.2rm...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
cfsmtb Wrote:

Pity the 'Green Wave technology'
(http://www.cykelby.dk/english.asp#wave) couldn't be of assistance
here, although IMHO the issue here for road users stems from visual
overload, confusing signage and a big lump of lack of awareness.

I don't have a problem seeing it but I know where it is. If the
junction was new to me then I may miss it, there's just so much going
on in that junction.

Make all the signs really, really big! Is that a coke ad, or a stop
light? I dunno ... the anarchists will ride through red lights
anyway.

Old June 4th 07, 09:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-06-04, EuanB (aka Bruce)
cfsmtb Wrote:
Pity the 'Green Wave technology'
(http://www.cykelby.dk/english.asp#wave) couldn't be of assistance
here, although IMHO the issue here for road users stems from visual
overload, confusing signage and a big lump of lack of awareness.

I don't have a problem seeing it but I know where it is. If the
junction was new to me then I may miss it, there's just so much going
on in that junction.

Once I finally discovered it, I was a little worried that I might
contribute to the "all cyclists must run reds" image, because I
imagine most motorists wouldn't notice that the cyclists going through
are actually doing so legally.

But, last time I checked, it didn't say green for taxis as well.
Fscking taxis, all running red lights

--
TimC
"The thing I love most about deadlines is the wonderful WHOOSHing sound
Old June 4th 07, 11:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PiledHigher

On Jun 4, 6:30 pm, TimC -
On 2007-06-04, EuanB (aka Bruce)

cfsmtb Wrote:
[...]

I've been abused there by pedestrians (who are crossing against a red)
for crossing against the lights!

Old June 5th 07, 01:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
EuanB[_78_]

On Jun 4, 6:30 pm, TimC -
On 2007-06-04, EuanB (aka Bruce)

cfsmtb Wrote:
[...]

Me too, only once in nearly four years though.

--
EuanB

Old June 5th 07, 01:13 PM posted to aus.bicycle
SomeGuy[_49_]

On Jun 4, 6:30 pm, TimC -
On 2007-06-04, EuanB (aka Bruce)

cfsmtb Wrote:
[...]

Me too. Suicidal woman runs across the road causing me to take evasive
action, and she had the gall to yell at me! I just get pedalling and
said something along the lines of 'you're the one running the red.'

--
SomeGuy

Old June 8th 07, 12:35 PM posted to aus.bicycle
rooman[_169_]

SomeGuy Wrote:
Me too. Suicidal woman runs across the road causing me to take evasive
action, and she had the gall to yell at me! I just get pedalling and
said something along the lines of 'you're the one running the red.'the contribs are good..keep them coming...

work overload (mine) has delayed the meet with VicRoads, but it is
likley later next week or early after that...

oh yeah...some of you may have recently attended the community forums
for Arrive Alive and and done their online survey and also heard the
comment from VicRoads that they want separated facillities for ALL
bicyclists and its policy...dadadadadadada yadda yadda.

I took this up with them too and they are apparently a little miffed
we've cottoned on to them...

SO as another little excercise I am collating all the material,
research and info on the effectiveness and otherwise of separated
facillities and why we would prefer VicRoads adopt a more concilliatory
approach to bicyclists as legitimate road traffic and to stop trying to
force us onto paths and bike lanes...

The recent change underway in UK may be an encouragement (
discouragement?) for them to adjust their "get bicycles off the road"
wish list for all bicyclists.

I have a lady from VicRoads wanting me to meet her...(lunch?) and she
made some comments about all their arrive alive stuff was an old
program or something that sounded like hiding agendas and that they
have made changes to intersecting cyclepath/roadway design to
"eliminate" crashes (hah I hear you say-along with me)..but I am keen
to see this and will report back etc...

Now if you are aware of anything in the way of research, references
materials and info that adds in anyway to assessing the effectiveness
or otherwise of separation please let me know here or PM or at WoJ...I
have a heap of stuff and it is pretty good, but I dont mind duplication
on sources as we could miss something...

thanks in advance...it will help us maintain our existing on road as
vehicles priviledges and not (lightly) let VicRoads erode them any
more....

cheers

Roo

--
rooman

Traffic lights TimC Australia 5 February 6th 06 10:57 AM
Temporary Traffic Lights! Chris UK 9 October 31st 05 02:36 AM
Best position at traffic lights? Peewiglet UK 34 July 15th 05 03:40 PM
Stuck On Red (Traffic Lights) Chuck Recumbent Biking 8 July 6th 04 01:22 AM
How many cars run traffic lights? Robert Dole General 66 December 12th 03 10:15 PM